My DIY E-Bike with VESC and Arduino

imval

1 mW
Hi all,
This is my first post here !

I wanted to show off my custom made electric bike, from a chinese hub motor, a VESC and some Arduinos to get all the light, battery monitoring and handle bar display :)

Here is some pictures :
IMG_20161201_170119 (Medium).jpgIMG_20170609_113506 (Medium).jpg

The wooden box inside the frame is home made and holds the battery, controller and electronics.
Motor is 1500W 48v 30A and the controller is a VESC 4.12
Battery is custom made from 18650 cells, harvested from laptop batteries, 13S with around 17Ah. I manage to do around 70km.

Everything is controlled by a Teensy 3.2, and I'm currently adding new features as they come to my mind, for now I have read blinkers and brake light through some WS2812, cruising mode, temp monitoring and cut off. I plan to add odometry, GPS, GSM, alarm ... :)

I will try to add more pics if you're interested,

I hope that you'll like my build and see you !

Nice build dude.
I'm using VESC to control a motor and just wonder about how you're using Teensy 3.2 with VESC.
At this point, I'm running my VESC at 36V. Are you still happy with running yours at 48V?

Very cool build imval. I love hardtails with hub motors and DIY setups that are clean looking.

Ecyclist said:
Nice build dude.
I'm using VESC to control a motor and just wonder about how you're using Teensy 3.2 with VESC.
At this point, I'm running my VESC at 36V. Are you still happy with running yours at 48V?
Thanks ! :D
I connected the Teensy and the VESC with UART and totaly rewrote a library I found on internet to speak with the VESC as it wasn't working.
I might post it to Github is someone's interested.
Still running 48v, with a 13s battery but you need to have very big caps, short wires and avoid regenerative braking otherwise you'll probably fry the DRV8302 :
15589944_10211270776150789_5853788164512984857_n.jpg
And make a good stock of DRV8302, you will blow a few of them :lol:

Wolfeman said:
Very cool build imval. I love hardtails with hub motors and DIY setups that are clean looking.

That photo looks spectacular. :D
Did you solder new DRVs yourself? I understand that this is not an easy thing to do.
I think that I will stick with 10S for now. I might go to 12S. I'm chicken. I already fried one controller but it wasn't VESC.
I'm comfortable with mechanics but not with electronics. The good news is that I'm getting better. If you could post your code on Github with some instructions that would be great. It will be black magic for me but I'm sure I will learn something.
Here is my build if you are interested. https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=90432

Back