overpowered bikes? 20+kw and 7kw vectors

abahanad

10 W
hello all
starting 2 builds atm, an overpowered heavy bike and an overpowered light bike.
the goal of the heavy bike is to have enough power and range to travel between close cities,the light bike however will be used more for all around town as my main form of transportation.
lets go through the parts list for each:

20kw bike
vector frame -ordered.
qs273 on 18 rim -ordered.
apt96600 -ordered.
throttle and wiring-ordered.
dnm us8 fork -ordered.
dnm rcp2 shock -ordered. (might order 2)
18 lipo batteries for 24s3p (30ah) or 20s4p (40ah) -received.
battery harness -received.
circuit breaker-yet to choose.
tyres- yet to choose.
drive-train and bike bits- ordered.

light bike
vector light frame-ordered.
will be changing most of the components from my 29er for now but here is a goal list
72v 120ah controller
10ah battery capable of 150a and 72v (mostly lipo)
lightning rods big block
HD 29er tyres, might end up with 24 tires as i really like how durable the hookworms are.

i still need to get circuit breakers for both bikes, a c63 will be enough for the light bike but i need something that will handle 300a at 100v for the larger bike.
will update as stuff arrive and the builds progress.

20170812_133641-756x1008.jpg20170811_201538-756x1008.jpg
Recieved the lipos for the heavy bike, 18 4s lipos from hobbyking
I am in love with those graphene packs, really low voltage drop at high current and 99% of the time they could deliver more current than labled.
I ordered 19 of them and one is for testing/drone.
I was able to pull 220 amps from the pack for 2 mins straight without any increase in heat , at 100 amps pull the volt supply of a full pack is 16.3v , compared to turnigy nanotech packs under the same load i was looking at 15.7 drop on 100a, the test is using a castle creation esc and motor with direct logging, not the most accurate but good enough for me.

I got the wirring harness from cowardlyduck's ebay, cant comment on performance but the quality looks top notch and he helped me alot.
Now i could chose between whatever configuration.
24s/20s/16s/12s 4p/3p/2p/1p which is really nice, hopefully i will get another for my light bike build.

What i initially have in mind is 24s3p, 100v 30ah.
Will see how good the performance is and might end up ordering 6 more of these cells for more range, will try to fit as many as possible in the frame.

Depends on what you are doing and what you consider "OP." 20 kilowatts is only about 26 horsepower. That's overpowered for bicycling on the bike path and underpowered for street racing.

In either case they look like a lot of fun and that's an impressive amount of lipo you have there sir. Enjoy.

Got some bike stuff today, handlebar, lights, lock, mirrors, bar tape, pedals, saddle and indicator lights.
Will order a 3 button switch(for changing power modes) and a lights/horn/indicators switch so i could start with wiring the indicators and lights .
Still waiting for the frame and motor from vector and controller from qs.

Controllers and switches coming from QS,
Sadly i am not in the country for almost 3 weeks so the build will have to wait until then.
I still need to come up with an idea to install this large controller to the frame without having it look too wierd.
Thought of installing a wide piece of c shaped aluminum to the frame , install the controller to the piece of aluminum and then have a couple of heat sink over the controller, will look close to a gas motorcycle radiator.

update,
received the apt controller, ordering the lightning rod from mike sometime very soon.
still out of twon and the ETA of the frames is around 2 weeks.

ended up selling my donor bike, the light frame might end up as a 24er (doesn't sound nice) because i will need a bike to go round the train with since my fold-able bike finally retired (broken frame)
will fit 3 multistars lipos on the light bike making it as light as possible, i will be going with 3s 1p for 10ah of capacity which should be enough.
parts are arriving steadily back home so everything will only need to be built together once the frames and motors arrive.

Update,
Ordered a nice doner 24 inch bike with all the good stuff and a tiny 63mm air fork, should be enough for the kind of riding i do, will arrive in a day or two.
Also ordered 3 6s 12ah graphene lipos , 12ah 75.6 volts while still capable of 150amps is more than good for the tiny battery space the light frame has, wanted to parallel 6 of those to get 24ah but frame wont take that much capacity, 3.6kg for the battery pack sounds good to me and just a bit more than my goal was.
Guess the weight saved from the initial 29 wheels and 3kw more from the lr doesnt sound bad at all.
Pics coming when i am done from work.

You didn't specify what winding you got on your qs273, but it is safe to say that you are going to have problems with the vector dropouts. Even with precision machining, I am convinced there is no way for them to work with high torque setups. I ran into this problem on my bike, and am currently working on learning how to weld with the cheapest harbor freight stick welder because of it. I am envious of you having a lightweight and a heavyweight bike, truly the best of both worlds.

I actually believe the Vector drop outs are very strong. I've been running 14KW peaks with a QS 205 motor for about a year with no bad results.....not even so much as the slightest wear.

Tom

I'll be very interest in the vector lite frame build. I have one of these frames that I'm putting my mxus 3k into. My main concern is the dropouts which are 6mm thick. I've ordered another set of the dropout plates from Artur at vector. I may bolt or weld them on so I can put 8kw ish.

Back