Tangent Build: 2013 GT Fury downhill (uphill) bike

12-C

100 W
Here she is all finished. I was originally going to mount packs to the frame, I still might. Its just that mounting it all is kind of tough and I will likely do it as a winter project instead of eat up all the precious summer/fall riding weather.... The 30Lb back pack is doing it for now.

Big thanks to Dave, customer service and support second to none! He was always willing and eager to help with any questions I had along the way. He helped me in fabbing up a custom mount. I sent him the specs and he machined it. I needed the right bracket to incoporate ISCG mounts for anchorage since the GT fury has a floating and moving BBshell relative to the frame as the susp pivots. This means the typical strap mech to hold the motor in place wouldn't work on this bike. I also needed some other holes for mounting the chain ring guides that I had fabbed ( modeled after the e thirteen kit thats stock on the bike.) The kit quality is great! I'm very happy with this purchase!

Goes like snot.

I have almost 20 years of motorcycle experience, street and some recreational road track, but this thing is a totally different beast. Still getting used to it.

The biggest difference Ive noticed is that it's much tougher riding it like a bike...ie bunny hopping, curb/log jumping- likely due to the throttle input that results. I'm thinking of swapping to a left side thumb throttle or installing a kill switch on/off button by the left thumb so that I can quickly cut throttle when I want to bunny hop or jump off a smaller obstacle and then quickly press it again to bring the throttle back to life. I'm just wondering how that would effect the CA, it might see it as a throttle fault and step in with a limit mode.....

Any ideas?

Attachments

• batt.jpg
    batt.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 1,333
  • pic 2.jpg
    pic 2.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 1,334
Nice build

Which model of tengent you have?
need ride impression :twisted:

Thanks for the comments.

I have the latest tangent, using the 3 turn 40:1 red, 3220. I upgraded to a 160Amp castle controller too. Honestly I think a smaller motor might actually be good enough. You would get better range for any given battery size/weight. The 3220 has more power than can be used I think but it's still early and I'm still modest with throttle since i'm still getting used to it.... I'm sure I will change my mind, I'm usually a "go big or it's not worth it" kind of guy which usually ends up getting me hurt...

The bike pulls strong, stronger than I'm willing to abuse the components (bike components ) lol. I'm sure the free hub will fail at some point anyways.

The suspension on the Fury is great, no squat under power, presumably due to the high pivot design.

... wants to wheelie, I'm sure I'm going to suffer more injuries on this thing than I ever have on the motorcycles that it's replacing.

The sound is pretty quite imo, mild vibration through the bike. Sounds more like a rough chain sliding over a chain guide.

Great looking bike 12-C, 30lb (13kg) in the backpack must be a little uncomfortable :shock: but I'm guessing that's just temporary until you get something slightly more compact

briangv99 said:
Great looking bike 12-C, 30lb (13kg) in the backpack must be a little uncomfortable :shock: but I'm guessing that's just temporary until you get something slightly more compact

I over estimated, it's just under 20lb ( I just did the math based on manuf. reported weight), feels heavy either way.... I'm probably going to keep it this way for a while. The only other thing I would entertain would be a large custom potted frame mount pack that just straps on. I would use carbon fiber and glass but this will likely be a winter project.

I dont think I would ever go with soft pack lipos though. I had a wipe out and the fact that the cells are hard cased saved my batteries!

Back