New 'Lightning Cruizer'

Show off your E-bike creation here.
oatnet   10 MW

10 MW

New 'Lightning Cruizer'

Post by oatnet » May 06 2007 2:46pm

I picked up a Panterra Fusion scooter/moped yesterday (see the scooter photos forum), and the guy had this NEW Lightning Cruizer in his garage - he wanted $150 and I said OK. When I got it home, I realized the upper battery mount was snapped so I have to use wire-ties there, but was quite suprised to see that it came with a 24v nihm battery/charger! I have found almost no reference to it online, but did establish that in 2005 it sold at Pep Boys for $550, imported by American Products Company (just bought out march 1st)

It is a decent cruiser, but has fat gushy tires (35psi) with huge rolling resistance. The brakes are GREAT, a real plus. The frame appears to be well built for a chinese bike, the pressure-connection battery mount is uninspiring but hey it is a space I can re-use for new batteries should I decide to 'upgrade' it. The 'tank' is goofy, looks like the controller is under there.

Took it out for a cruise, I'd guess an uninspiring 12-15mph but hey it is only 24v so that isn't a surprise, and for $150 I am ok with that. Anyone recognize this dc-brushed hub motor?

-JD
Attachments
lightening_wrapped.jpg
lightening_wrapped.jpg (66.98 KiB) Viewed 8221 times
lightening_si.jpg
lightening_si.jpg (110.91 KiB) Viewed 8207 times
lightening_motor.jpg
lightening_motor.jpg (79.01 KiB) Viewed 8225 times
lightening_cells.jpg
lightening_cells.jpg (46.85 KiB) Viewed 8212 times
lightening_batt_charger.jpg
lightening_batt_charger.jpg (61.17 KiB) Viewed 8209 times
lightening_batt_mount.jpg
lightening_batt_mount.jpg (66.68 KiB) Viewed 8208 times

TylerDurden   100 GW

100 GW

Post by TylerDurden » May 06 2007 8:37pm

It don't look too bad... even has a battery lock.

Motor might be a Golden. Not the best, but not the worst. For 150, it won't kill ya to take it apart and see the gutz.

:D
Have a Nice Day,

TD

FYI: Adding pictures?

Bored?... take a crack at the unanswered posts

Please post your Watts-at-speed in the survey.

Ypedal   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Ypedal » May 07 2007 11:15am

Do i see " Ovonic " on that battery pack ?.. if so .. that's a good thing !

nice grab for 150 !
ES site status page:
http://www.ypedal.com/ES/ES.htm
----------------
http://www.ypedal.com

oatnet   10 MW

10 MW

Post by oatnet » May 08 2007 7:16pm

Ypedal wrote:Do i see " Ovonic " on that battery pack ?.. if so .. that's a good thing !

nice grab for 150 !
Yep, that says ovonic but I have no idea what that means - will you tell me what the significance is?

-John

Ypedal   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Ypedal » May 08 2007 9:04pm

Well.. there are only a certain amount of battery manufacturers out there.. Suppo, Nexcell, GMB , Ovonics, GP , Valence, etc etc etc.....

http://www.ovonic.com/eb_ba_omd_overview.cfm

would be considered a good one.. You could have gotten worse ! lol..
ES site status page:
http://www.ypedal.com/ES/ES.htm
----------------
http://www.ypedal.com

Mathurin   100 kW

100 kW

Post by Mathurin » May 08 2007 11:05pm

So, gonna 36v it?

Looks like you could stuff some lead bricks in the tank, or something.
You have to know, not fear, that someday you are going to die. Until you know that and embrace that, you are useless. - Tyler Durden, Fight club. Ditch the fake identity you've created for yourself, walk your own way in a society of mindless drones to become real, you are not your social status.

oatnet   10 MW

10 MW

Post by oatnet » May 09 2007 8:34pm

Ypedal wrote:Well.. there are only a certain amount of battery manufacturers out there.. Suppo, Nexcell, GMB , Ovonics, GP , Valence, etc etc etc.....

http://www.ovonic.com/eb_ba_omd_overview.cfm

would be considered a good one.. You could have gotten worse ! lol..

Oh-Oh-Oh the manufacturer - I thought it was a chemistry varient -thanks for letting me know!

John

oatnet   10 MW

10 MW

Post by oatnet » May 09 2007 8:43pm

Mathurin wrote:So, gonna 36v it?

Looks like you could stuff some lead bricks in the tank, or something.
Defintely thought about it. I have a lot of projects running right now, and the guy who gave me a ride to pick up my scooter (and this) is trying to make up his mind on whether he wants it.

But if he does not... It is a long-frame, sturdy, bike, that I can see being stable at speed. I can envision replacing the gushy t35psi tires with hookworms, yanking off the goofy tank and controller, and see how the hub motor handles a 48v 25a controller. No lead bricks though - I don't think I can get the amps out of them - I'd be doing nicd/nimh.

John

mrgarci1   100 W

100 W

Re: New 'Lightning Cruizer'

Post by mrgarci1 » Nov 11 2009 12:07pm

saw one of those Lightening Cruzers being repaired at my LBS - I just want one of those tanks for my battery!
Phat Seabreeze beach cruiser, WE BL 36 running 36v20Ah Headway - Sold after several years of daily commuting and 2 Burning Mans
current project - Worksman utility trike http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =3&t=53632

torker   1 MW

1 MW

Post by torker » Nov 11 2009 1:33pm

Hey I had one o those. As you can see I did put lead on the sled and lost the tank. All I did was replace the seat then I sold it. It was a heavy solid frame. I was going to try an ecrazyman 36v cont. but never got that far. Nice cruiser! I had a blast and a lot of other folks tried that bike while I had it.Image
Dave When I die I want to slide in sideways yelling WooHoo what a ride !

Giant Rincon w rear 9C 6*10 36 v x 20 amps
Specialized FSR Comp 9C 6*10 48v x 30 amps

gestalt   10 kW

10 kW

Post by gestalt » Jan 22 2010 11:23pm

I dig the tank as well, it's kinda like the controller enclosure I'm making for my cruiser, just finished cutting up the pieces today.

I also like the single speed pedal power, for me the main reason for having pedals on the ebike is to stay legally compliant. so the simplicity of the single speed is great for a bike like this. Is that a geared hub motor?
- be seeing you

thoxbui   1 W

1 W

Post by thoxbui » Jan 22 2010 11:29pm

I have had two of those and played with them extensively. See my current thread "wooden box II build" and one of my websites.

http://thoxbui.com/electricbikes/slides ... 20rig.html
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =6&t=15486

The motor is brushed, non geared, 400 Watt.
Get a 48V brushed controller (30$) and more batteries, and she'll zip pass 23 mph in the flat for you.

Tho

kaatskill   1 µW

1 µW

Post by kaatskill » Aug 05 2012 2:28pm

WOW. I have two of those Lightning Cruizer bikes " never used" hanging in my garage for the past 3/4 years (one for my wife and the other for me,she laughs at me every time we go into the garage,mm) only because I need the battery packs/charger AND at a reasonable cost to purchase the batteries. Any help in locating these packs would greatly be appreciated,also it was mentioned that a 36v system could replace the 24v system,would this be hard to covert and if so any detailed info. as to what I would have to do to do this. I also noticed the electric scooter that someone had on this site as well,well guess what I have that also and never used it and left it out side under the car port and is beginning to rust and is loaded with spider webs,so much for that scooter,ha ha. Anyway any help with the bikes would be great. I am in my sixties, so I am limited to what I used to be able to do when I was 20 as to what I am able to do now . :D

newtothis   1 µW

1 µW

Post by newtothis » Apr 30 2016 3:12pm

Where can I find a replacement battery pack for the original 24v system that came with the Lightning Cruizer?

oatnet   10 MW

10 MW

Post by oatnet » Apr 30 2016 11:38pm

newtothis wrote:Where can I find a replacement battery pack for the original 24v system that came with the Lightning Cruizer?
Gosh, I forgot about this bike from the Dark ages... The Chinese company that built these bikes probably vanished into obscurity a decade ago, so you are probably going to have to build your own. If you have the battery enclosure you could build a much better battery into the case, or you could just buy a random 24v battery pack and put power connectors on the power wires connected to the battery mount. These bikes were heavy and underpowered so I wouldn't sink too much into it.

-JD
Member 117 of 26,000+

153v DUNE BUGGY © 164v Vectrix E-Moto © 72v Norco A-line/x5403 © 60v Specialized Enduro Comp/BMC © 72v x5tracycle © 48v TF IO/BMC © 36v Kepler FrictionDrive © Spot-Welding a123 © Pelican Front Packs © Vectrix Battery Replacement © MORE !!

Image大鸡巴 Motors
Knowledge is acquired through experience, everything else is just information - Albert Einstein
"Cheater?" I'm not competing, I'm Commuting!