A caution to all

R84

10 mW
Hi,

I bought an Ebike from china. Yes, a cheaply made bike. I should have listened to my wife and saved for a higher quality bike. Unfortunately the specs given out by this company was complete bogus. So let me start, first off the bike was to come to Toronto, it went to BC and it cost an arm and leg to get here. So when I finally got it (2 months later) I put it together and it looked pretty nice until I tried the brakes the first time..."ahhh no brakes". Then the regen light would come on and off over bumps. Ok, I'm thinking not bad that can be repaired(broken wire in loom). Awesome back on the road, so I thought. Rolling down the road like a boss, making a left the bike accelerated like a batt outta hell (nearly ran over a old lady and came close to a car). "Ohhhh no I got the lemon", so I slowly made it home. Put her on a stand and wanted to see where the hell was this short. Fiddling around I can see a nasty kink in the loom, this was the last time I would ever hear the sound of a cheap China controller. Great, controller is fried and the throttle no longer works. China said nope go fix it, same as paypal and Visa(long,long story made short). I am very lucky that I'm hard headed and I don't give up easily, most people would say "it's going on eBay"for parts(about 35km driven before it fried). So here we go, Alan from electric race technology hooked me up with a throttle,18mosfet controller, and cycle analysis. Bike is running now 3 months after I picked it up. Still some trouble setting up the cycle analysis, I have a li-on battery and dont know which I should select, And problems with the throttle(pulsing while riding). I know I have some bad cells in the battery so if you have a good link please send it my way.

Thanx Richard

P.s Alan is an awesome source of information and he stands by his product 110% Thank you Alan for all your help!

I'm looking for a good repair and testing links/posts for my battery. 48v 28.6ah.... can put out max 1700ish watts and it did more when it was new. I'm running about 2km short of work and 60kg bike is a b word to pedal. Any help or comments welcomed.

Maybe if you'd replied with answers to those of us asking questions trying to help you in other threads, like here
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86788&p=1269247#p1269247
and here
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=86260&p=1261883#p1261883
you wouldn't have run into such problems, because we could have recommended realistic stuff from quality vendors based on your actual expectations and needs.

So before we waste more time in this thread, I'll first suggest that for battery repair, you simply read thru the other battery repair threads around the forum--there are dozens (actually probably hundreds) of them where the testing processes are stated and some of them where the results of the tests are actually posted, and a few where repairs are actually done and tested. I don't have links to the threads--should be easy enough to find looking thru the forums or searching on titles.

But one more bit of info, is that as was noted indirectly in another of your threads, the battery is probably not actually capable of the power levels you're pulling from it, and that's probably one reason its' failing.

BTW:
R84 said:
Sorry no pics until I can figure it out.
There's a whole sticky thread at the top of each forum for Adding Pictures.

I only had so much money and it fit my budget to get a complete bike. I do not regret buying it, but I do regret not following everyone's advice. So far I'm in 2000$ usd. I'm going to do my homework and build a proper battery this winter. That is my weakest component. Thank you for everyone's input. I will go through the my old posts and collect all the info.

Most of the info you're after isn't there yet, because you first have to answer the questions asked so the relevant info can be provided.

That was the point I was trying to make with the post above.

It's certainly possible that for $2000 you could have a good bike that does what you want--but we don't yet know what you want it to do.

Me 172 pounds on a good day.
Bike with battery 62kg
Distance needed min 20km
Speed min needed 65kmphr
Small grade uphill to work and one big hill at the end of my ride, about a 1/2 km long
Battery right now 48v 28.6 Ahr Li-ion
Stealth style bike front and rear suspension
Cycle analysis 3.0
Regen

Anymore info needed let me please know

Bike has 26" wheels
Motor looks like it can 5000w(no name or marks)
Road commuter
No off road
203mm rotor fry and rear
Controller is a 18 mosfet from E.R.T
Maybe 72 volt? No too sure yet, still doing homework
Budget around 1200usd to build a battery maybe using my old one to build on not sure yet.

I'm in Europe right now with no computer its gonna have to wait unless you have a thread on how to upload pic from iPhone
John from CR

R84 said:
Me 172 pounds on a good day.
Bike with battery 62kg
Distance needed min 20km
Speed min needed 65kmphr
Small grade uphill to work and one big hill at the end of my ride, about a 1/2 km long
Battery right now 48v 28.6 Ahr Li-ion
Stealth style bike front and rear suspension
Cycle analysis 3.0
Regen

I'm a newb on ebikes, so this comment may not be worth much - but I don't see how a 65 km/h minimum ebike speed jibes with stealth. I think most Canada e bike laws limit speeds to around 32km/h. Going twice that speed won't be very stealthy. Also, if the bike isn't built for sustained higher speeds, it probably won't be reliable or safe. Your battery probably has plenty of capacity if you are willing to back off on the speed a bit.

"Stealth" as in "Stealth Fighter" or Stealth Bomber" bikes. With a minimum speed of 40MPH, he wants a motorcycle but won't just come out and say that. ;)

amberwolf said:
"Stealth" as in "Stealth Fighter" or Stealth Bomber" bikes. With a minimum speed of 40MPH, he wants a motorcycle but won't just come out and say that. ;)

Ah - OK. Got it. Another one of these 21st Century uses of terms that seem to be exactly opposite of what the term usually means. :^)

You need a better bike and a better battery.

Buy a downhill bike off Kijiji
Build a 72v 14ah battery
Install your motor and controller
Ride between 45-65km/h for 20 km
Recharge

Back