Paratrooper pro + BBSHD + emaayan's accident prone skills

emaayan

100 kW
after a very long time , i'm gonna start a build thread in the hopes that this ones knock on steel, would fare better.

some background, i've ordered the paratrooper pro because i wanted a full size folding bike that would stealthy as well train mountable, as luck would have it, just recently israeli train , declared that even foldable with wheel size larger then 20" (yes 20!) are not allowed on rush hour, which kind pissed a lot folks off, but still, i could also put in a cab.
i wanted BBSHD, as it's most stealthy mid-drive there is, i personally smuggled it form the states, (from doug's ebikes-california)

i've had to order the paratrooper form the states, as the "official" israeli importer, stopped ... well. importing them regularly 3 months ago, so i go them from safecastle.

so here it is: well, the package.
gGE7YaU.jpg

the paratrooper allready came half-assembled, which is kind of a blessing,

BXwpHUV.jpg

there several questions that still plague me:

* will be able to install the tektro hydro brakes, (they may have an adapter i won't be able to fit on this thing)
* will the 46T lekkie bling ring have enough clearence.
* will i able to fit my regular triangle battery (just got a triangle bag which seems just the right size) or create a new rectangular one, and fit it on the back rack.
* will it work?
* is star trek discovery really worth my time?

BXwpHUV.jpg

GH04tRf.jpg

well first snag, that thing doesn't want to go all the way , no matter what i do , i havn't seen any video that shows a problem with this stage..., but it simply stops stuck on the other threads

tspkElJ.jpg

fJRdFfC.jpg

2yzdkTH.jpg

None of your photos shows up. did you upload your photos?

to upload your photos at the bottom of submit/preview button you see the upload attachment that's where you upload your photos from your computer. Hope that helps. oh max file size s only 512kb only not very big

Attachments

• IMG_0152.JPG
    IMG_0152.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 3,490
I can't see the images either, but I've done a few of those where the BB shell had enough irregularities from the welding that normal cups screw in from either side, but the unit wouldn't slide thru the center without grinding. Usually a Dremel with a drum sander or a die grinder does the trick.

And its not just the 512 kb thing, images have to be 800 pixels or less on the edges...

that's why i stopped uploading photos to ES a long long time ago, i tried to use my google photos, but that doesn't work anymore to i switched to imgur, can you see it now?

well i've managed after a long battle to finally squeeze that in, pushing up and down.

KtIEYHe.jpg

rGOeayZ.jpg

JJJyEnt.jpg

xQ3ISxf.jpg

That looks more like the bottom bracket is narrow. But it seems like with how the chain ring is too close to the frame and you have plenty of threads on the other side, maybe spacers on the right side... as long as it doesn't push the chain line to a funny angle.

I switched to Windows Live photo gallery which is subtly different from just photo gallery, and the resizer lets you set a max edge size and do batches at a time. There's other resizers too, but settable edge size is he big feature you want to look for.

here's another up close image of the cover to the chain stay
yCBcYAV.jpg

It looks like it will just barely clear and work OK. Since most folks have a problem with the chain line, keeping the chain ring in close might be a good thing.
Adding a spacer on the gear side would center things a bit nicer.

are you sure it's ok? i'm worried about chainstay flexing, (my trek 7700 chainstay can do that)
guess i'll need to try it with a trainer.
83AXh1V.jpg

well no one bothered to warn me this about THIS
replacing brakes to hyrdos means also replacing the gear system .
yy0rcIp.jpg

what a horrible rather non productive day i've had
9GUDZg0.jpg

first of all i thought looking for shifters should be no problem, i even thought i should downgrade myself to 8 speed, so bought and installed an SRAM 8 speed (don't ask me why SRAM, something wrong i thought about spacing, but i wanted an 8 speed, cause i've heard 9 speed and above are narrower and weaker chains) , and off i went to find shifters.

turns out 8 speed and 9 speeds are considered extinct !, when that happened? when i found a 9 speed shimano shifter i quickly nabbed it, until only the last store (and i've been to most) had it somewhere in back storage.
however only after i got home, and installed a new cable on the sram shifters i found out the i was missing the screw the holds the cable down, so i started re-installing the 9 speed cassette again, and installed a new cable on the 9 speed shimano shifter as well. looks like i'm gonna be stuck with 9 speed.

i've also upgraded to both hydro brakes, i was surpised to see that this time left handle will be the rear brake and right handle will be front break, the rear disk brake was upraded from 140 to 180.
9GUDZg0.jpg

sadly the bosses that hold the brake cables weren't designed for hydro, so it was zip ties again.
511SG2v.jpg

the front disk brake was also upgraded from 160 to 180, (180 cause i didn't have a post mount to post mount adapter, also i need to ask if upgraded from 160 to 203, won't risk the fork itself?)

UoQmaup.jpg

the sad thing is that front disk brake barely reaches the caliper, i'm not sure if you replace the cable here .

DCRIfpq.jpg

this is how i'll use the bracket from ebikes california , to the seat post, only angle that makes sense, i'll use a hose clamp to attach it, as i removed the front driveset .

8XYW8I8.jpg

Why not swap the left and right levers so the rear brake is on the right like most bikes? This might give you enough length on the tubing. I had a bike with swapped brake levers and I always found it hard to get used to and frequently grabbed the wrong side. I ended up swapping them and I'm much happier with the setup. It's not too hard to put a longer brake line on it if needed. You will need to bleed the brakes or otherwise get all the air out of the line if you take it apart.

I haven't see a bracket like that. I haven't had any issues with the motor moving, but many people have. Would the bracket fit on the chain side? If so, it would give your chain ring a little more clearance.

initial test run ... the brakes don't seem to be something i can change, need to check that..
they are zurich trp
https://www.emax-ebikes.com.au/tektro-trp-brake-systems/products/trp-zurich-brake-set-f203mm-r180mm-is-online

[youtube]0iJophCrtlA[/youtube]

well update, bike's nearly done, initially i got the feeling i had a restricted version, so i frantically ordered from luna the programming cable (as well as some tools) but in the end i got through the display's settings.

initial drive, somehow caused the chainring, to go deeper and suddenly scratch the chainstay, so i placed a shim on it (the kind you get like with the cyclone bottom brackets or crank arms to adjust the chainline, it's not 4 mm, like 2, and i think it's was enough to adjust the chainline as previously going to the 9th gear caused chain drop.

i also replaced the brakes on both sides, seems to work ergonomically for now.
2Loac2d.jpg

still a few problems though..

maybe i'm missing something, but i don't see how the rackstand can work, when attempting to rotate it, the edges keep getting grinding against the bolts of the derailleur ...
Ha7FTHu.jpg

plus , something about quick release setup here doesnt' seem right when combined with the rackstand.
YhMxSDz.jpg

i will also need to chain the tires so i've ordered http://www.jensonusa.com/Kenda-Kiniption-Tire (2.3 thickness)

i'm also using a triangle battery bug i got from ali-express along side with some velcro, i'm hoping it would hold on untll i switch to another bag.
https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/0.html?spm=a2g0s.9042647.0.0.e5qRAJ&orderId=86670192861470&productId=32796589779

another possible problem is getting a better kickstand, the ones i have (2 legged ones) are too narrow for the chainstay

also not exactly sure what's UBE means when i want to define my battery as 52v.

The evolving standard is calling 13 cell groups in series a 48v battery, and 14s a 52v. Thats the 14 groups in series times 3.7v, the nominal voltage of a group. Its called that even though the fully charged voltage is 58.8v.

And is that one of those racks that quick disconnects at the front so you can swing it under to be a bikestand? If so, its not installed right onto the axle.

i'm aware that 14S is 52v, but i don't know how to configure it so it would read 52 and no 48..

how CAN you install it the rackstand right?

I guess I'm confused about the voltage... is it not reading right in your display?

Re the rack. I haven't messed with those much, but I think you have the spacers in the wrong order on the handle side of the skewer, and the rack dropouts mount into one of the spacers on each side, and rotate on them, but def. not pressed directly against the frame like that is now.

ok, this makes more sense.
mCrKK3d.jpg

q0X2fdU.jpg

zaoCJ4W.jpg

btw does this looks tru to you?
[youtube]OE4GUmtHGe4[/youtube]

will i have a problem fitting a kenda 559-58 (it's 2.3 wide) tire on the current Montague rim?

Back