Vector Light Commuter Build

Show off your E-bike creation here.
skeetab5780   10 MW

10 MW

Re: Vector Light Commuter Build

Post by skeetab5780 » Aug 11 2018 7:13am

Here is the BMS diagram I am using lets see if this thing works this is 10s instead of 13s but close enough

skeetab5780   10 MW

10 MW

Post by skeetab5780 » Aug 11 2018 10:05am

Ok so I threw the battery together real quick and I also took the other battery out of the bike to make room, here are the pics

13s 17ah battery

Frame nice and dirty just the way I like it! A little rust already forming! love cheap steel
Here is the old setup, the new setup is going to be a much tighter fit, lets hope it all goes in
Had to move the controller for now
Used two pieces of 16awg wire twisted together for the series connections this pack will likely be drawing 15a most of its life if it works
Quickly soldered them all
put a 12awg turnigy negative on
attached it to the BMS
then another that will power the controller
Put a 12awg positive leading to my controller also
soldered all the BMS balance leads
lightly taped things away from one another hoping to protect against shorts
decided to put the bms on the end since the frame is kinda skinny. This will likely be on the top of the frame near the key switch when installed
neaten up some of the wiring (im no perfectionist)
need to add a switch to turn the pack on
this loop turns the pack on when you short it
OMG it actually puts out voltage!
forgot to solder the charger negative so threw that in real quick
Looks like its just about done
grabbed the charger I was using for 12s and adjusted the pot to put out 54.4v should be good I think

Now I just have to cram it all in the frame and hope it doesn't blow up!

skeetab5780   10 MW

10 MW

Post by skeetab5780 » Aug 12 2018 12:53pm

So this was not the most fun thing ive done in a while...but the battery actually fit in the frame. It was a really tight fit and I know what your thinking its because the controller is in the frame, but it is actually because the seat stay bolt heads are hitting the top of the battery.

This is probably not the best mounting option since the bike is going to be top heavy, but I did not want to extend the motor wires or move the controller outside the frame...yet

here are the pictures of the process, its not perfect but that the way I like it!

I moved the controller as far as I could, and then attempted to fit the battery in. I found out quickly I had issues
The seat stay bolts are in the way, if I remove them the battery fits...obviously I need them though
Dug thru a old box of quad parts(metric bolts) and found two donors that I cut down with a dremmel tool
I decided to use the washers to not hurt the steel frame with the angle of the beveled flat bolt so I only saved a few millimeters
before bolts were changed
The bottom of the battery is right against the bottom cover but there is a piece of foam in there. It all fit together!
Now I need to figure out what to do with these wires...
random shot of bike, glad its back on its feet
Grabbed a switch to turn the wires on and off
soldered it in
Used some two random quad bushings to protect wires, cut them down a bit
Switch tucked in
now I will have to work on a charging port later
for now it just sticks out! haha
Finally the bike is charging!

skeetab5780   10 MW

10 MW

Post by skeetab5780 » Aug 12 2018 3:46pm

So tried to beat the rain home and just barely did. Clocked 13 miles on the new battery setup and it performed excellent! New too speed is almost 10mph faster by adding 3s

Old top speed 23mph with 10s
New top speed 31mph with 13s
Hit 39mph on a good sized downhill
Averages 25mph on uphills

Didnt bother killing the pack since it wasnt fully charged when i left and was not sure if the bms was going to cut out and cause problems. I trusted it and did the trip easily

After a few cycles when the cells are nicely balanced ill try max range im sure its only about 23-25 miles with my normal pedal input

Much nicer running 13s over 10s, 42v is just not fast enough to get yourself out of harms way at times. But with 13s you got to be careful on the downhills you build speed fast!

skeetab5780   10 MW

10 MW

Post by skeetab5780 » Aug 13 2018 9:31am

So today I wanted to test the battery a bit more and unfortunately I got it to cut out power. I kept it full throttle the entire ride and made it about 9 miles and the BMS shut the pack down. I was pretty scared since I was still atleast 3 miles from my work even though I do carry a charger in my backpack it was starting to rain and getting worse out. Luckily I cycled the BMS switch and key on the bike and it came back to life and let me baby the throttle enough to get to work at about 22mph. which is usually top speed on 10s

so the battery may be even weaker than I thought. But it is only 4p pack of 2c cells. Also if I used 5p in parallel the battery wouldn't have fit into the frame unless I modify the rear seat stay bolts and move the controller

this will have to do for now, I will report any issues

Dumsterdave   100 W

100 W

Post by Dumsterdave » Aug 13 2018 11:52pm

Why are you opposed to puttingt the controller on the underside of the frame.

skeetab5780   10 MW

10 MW

Post by skeetab5780 » Aug 14 2018 6:42am

Dumsterdave wrote:
Aug 13 2018 11:52pm
Why are you opposed to puttingt the controller on the underside of the frame.
Im not opposed to it ive had it there before. I dont have a large enough battery for that to matter tho, and nothing overheats at 20a...why go thru the hassle of wires hanging outside? Then the bottom cover is also much harder to open and close. Have you owned one of these frames?

I like being able to open the hood quick to do maintenance, and i like no wires hanging out i guess.

When i closed up the Futr beta i never wanted to open it back up, it was a nightmare of wires in tight spaces crammed next to a battery.

skeetab5780   10 MW

10 MW

Post by skeetab5780 » Aug 14 2018 7:13am

If i ever get a larger battery though i will certainly move the controller outside. Batteries are too expensive for me to consider buying, so i build what i got kicking around.

mcfizzlestag   1 mW

1 mW

Post by mcfizzlestag » Aug 19 2018 11:41pm

Great Build thread, Been eyeing up the same frame for my next build, glad to see the geometry kinks were worked out in the end. Did you ever think of swapping the bolts out to brass to see if they blend in with the gold better?

skeetab5780   10 MW

10 MW

Post by skeetab5780 » Aug 20 2018 10:44am

mcfizzlestag wrote:
Aug 19 2018 11:41pm
Great Build thread, Been eyeing up the same frame for my next build, glad to see the geometry kinks were worked out in the end. Did you ever think of swapping the bolts out to brass to see if they blend in with the gold better?
That's actually a really good idea, when these oxidize a bit more I may do this

skeetab5780   10 MW

10 MW

Post by skeetab5780 » Aug 23 2018 9:27am

Does anyone know the pinout of the S-LCD1 Ebike meter from BMS battery? I want to see if I can install it on my bike, it says it only works with S type controllers but I have a em3ev 3 speed controller so I may be able to make it work

I have one that says its 24/36v rated but on the website they say up to 48v? So im not sure if it will work already

it has 5 wires on it

red: positive
black: negative
blue:
green: may turns the system on?
yellow:

skeetab5780   10 MW

10 MW

Post by skeetab5780 » Aug 23 2018 9:32am

I found a wiring diagram that says its only 36v so this may be a waste of time since I run 13s now...

but it says
VB+: red
Control: blue
GND: black
Data1: green
Data2: yellow

but what the heck is control and data1 and data2??

thradad   10 µW

10 µW

Post by thradad » Aug 24 2018 12:52am

Really liking this build! You've done some nice work turning an ugly duckling frame and a bunch of mostly used parts into a bike that looks (and probably rides) better than bikes that cost a LOT more.

It looks like there's a lot of room above the shock inside the sub-seat frame. Do you think there'd be room to put a small controller (eg. phaserunner) in there? I'm considering this frame and I like how clean it looks with the controller hidden.

skeetab5780   10 MW

10 MW

Post by skeetab5780 » Aug 24 2018 8:16am

thradad wrote:
Aug 24 2018 12:52am
Really liking this build! You've done some nice work turning an ugly duckling frame and a bunch of mostly used parts into a bike that looks (and probably rides) better than bikes that cost a LOT more.

It looks like there's a lot of room above the shock inside the sub-seat frame. Do you think there'd be room to put a small controller (eg. phaserunner) in there? I'm considering this frame and I like how clean it looks with the controller hidden.
Next time I have money to waste on Ebikes I want to buy a phase runner and another Cycle satiator(mine was run over by a fork truck)
that's $600 plus shipping I will be saving my pennies!

Yes a phase runner or small Kelly with absolutely fit in the shock upper

skeetab5780   10 MW

10 MW

Post by skeetab5780 » Aug 30 2018 11:55am

I guess I need to save my $$ better since I was at the bike shop I picked up a set of new pedals. I haven't bought a nice set of pedals in over a decade so why not! I usually buy the $8 ebay sets but these pedals caught my attention so I needed to have them!

elmannen   10 mW

10 mW

Post by elmannen » Aug 30 2018 12:16pm

Those pedals look very nice indeed!

djjoonie   1 W

1 W

Post by djjoonie » Aug 30 2018 2:30pm

Awesome build! thanks for posting :)

skeetab5780   10 MW

10 MW

Post by skeetab5780 » Sep 17 2018 1:50pm

djjoonie wrote:
Aug 30 2018 2:30pm
Awesome build! thanks for posting :)
thanks I have fun with the bike commuting with ease, I obviously like more power...but do not need it for this bike

I choose riding a bike with pedals as opposed to my mopeds when I have a choice