BBSHD Takes on the Luiz Fire Road

fechter

Administrator
Staff member
Below is a video of one of my favorite rides. I take off from my house and do about a mile of pavement to the beginning of a trail that takes me over a ridge to where the Luiz Fire Road starts. The Luiz road climbs right up the side of the hill, gaining over 1000 vertical feet in about a mile of trail. Average grade (according to Google maps) is about 20%. Once on top, I head down the back of the ridge to a road called Chicken Shack Fire Road. The trail portion of the ride was about 45 minutes, which is pretty boring at my average speed of 7 mph. So I sped up the video x4 to shrink it down to about 12 minutes. In real time, I did the climbing part to the top in about 12 minutes. In the video, you can see my motor temp at the top reached 49C. The BBSHD with a 30 tooth chain ring really handles the climbs well.

Here's the Luiz Fire Road from a distance:
Luiz Fire Road still.jpg

The ride video:
https://youtu.be/J4sBvXXZGtA

Great views and ride, thanks!

The terrain has a unique look to it. It’s literaally bald from trees & bushes on certain exposed areas, yet more lush in shaded & valley areas. Maybe because it lacks enough rainfall, and only those shade & valleys can accumulate and store water to give larger plants a chance to survive. :eek:

All the south-facing slopes are pretty bald and more trees on the north-facing sides. I'm sure it has to do with the dry climate.

I've never seen anyone hang gliding around there. I suspect it's not allowed. That and there aren't many good landing spots at the bottom. There is a place about 20mi south where all the hang gliders go. It's right on coast where the sea breeze blows up the hill and guys can hover above the ridge on the updraft.

Nice video, great ride location. Thanks for sharing. Interesting that the BBSHD handles the sustained climb with no problem. Obviously that is not your A2B, what's the ride?

richmpdx said:
Nice video, great ride location. Thanks for sharing. Interesting that the BBSHD handles the sustained climb with no problem. Obviously that is not your A2B, what's the ride?

Yes, the A2B wouldn't make it very far up that kind of grade. It's my fat bike:

Img_0654A.jpg

NICE battery pack!

Back