Death Machine '17 cyclone3000 build

eddiecycle

10 µW
This is my Death Machine '17, my first EV build in well over a decade. Motor is a cyclone 3000 kit, battery is 72v 17.5ah. Frame, fork, and wheels are from one of my old MTB builds and are tough, heave stuff. New parts are the 29x2.5 touring tires for stability at speed, Soma Gator handlebars for an aero dropped position, 11-speed drivetrain, and Zee downhill brakes with 203/180 rotors because I value stopping ability. I plan to install a dropper post so I can pop the seat up and pedal if I want/need to. I've had it up to just shy of 50 but haven't tested the range yet. We have a lot of short, steep hills in the area and this bike can handle pretty much anything at 40+. I'm just now getting more confident with the handling and laying it over a little more in the curves.

DM17pic.jpg

Sweet!

Any top speed numbers yet!

Also, you are wearing a full face helmet and body armor......Right?

:D

Body armor yes but my motorcycle full-face doesn't work very well with this low of a position so I'm using a bike helmet. A better option is on the list. Highest speed I've gotten to so far was 48.5. I feel confident that I can hit 50+ on a smooth flat road with tight aero clothes, but the more realistic top speed is upper 40s

Eddie,
I have a similar crank chain ring. Does yours wobble (the freewheel)? Yours is silver which means you may have replaced it? My freewheel is black and does wobble a bit which is a bit disconcerting :(

eddiecycle said:
Body armor yes but my motorcycle full-face doesn't work very well with this low of a position so I'm using a bike helmet. A better option is on the list. Highest speed I've gotten to so far was 48.5. I feel confident that I can hit 50+ on a smooth flat road with tight aero clothes, but the more realistic top speed is upper 40s

Have you looked at Bell super 2r helmets? the one with the removable jaw section? They have quite a low profile and sure the lower may give way in a big impact but its dissepation of energy that would otherwise occur on your face =)

Mongo1 said:
Eddie,
I have a similar crank chain ring. Does yours wobble (the freewheel)? Yours is silver which means you may have replaced it? My freewheel is black and does wobble a bit which is a bit disconcerting :(

I havne't noticed any significant wobble. I'll take a close look next time I have it in the stand. Is it the freehub on the motor or the one on the crank that is wobbling with yours?

Back