Sidecars and the ebiker

eCue

10 kW
They exist to some extent there is plenty of room for improvement and a fun project for a person with free time and a need to carry a pet or lightweight friend.

allways-puglia.jpg

Sort of weak ...

43fff040393c6ac034212cdb78e60bae--cool-bicycles-push-bikes.jpg

This below version is the direction I would go if I had the need

andy1.JPG

This one although traditional is pretty kick ass all the same

retro-sidecar-001.jpg

Taxi ? :D
electric_bike_with_sidecar_1733934.jpg

Cool trailer / honorable mention

ae007c550e9935efb7e63d28aed0e957--cool-bicycles-cool-bikes.jpg

Sidecar%20001.jpg

sidecar.jpg

Deluxe-Frame-Set-images-about-bicycles-on-pinterest-bicycle-electric-fat-tire-trike-adult-tricycle-green-apple-www-electric-Luna-Cycle-Fat.jpg

With a mid drive motor it would be fun for two :D

A couple build threads on the forum - https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=56966&p=849564&hilit=sidecar#p849564 and https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17649&p=257354&hilit=sidecar#p257354

There's also a few other threads about them, some with more detailed info about issues with using them:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=sidecar*&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Found this photo on one of the links you posted it looks like it would be a lot of fun for anyone. Getting the geezer out for some sunlight for instance

Driver looks happy

P+III+with+Gramps.JPG

Passenger looks a little spooked on it after a while he will likely relax. Although a sudden braking might nix that altogether :D

amberwolf said:
There's also a few other threads about them, some with more detailed info about issues with using them:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=sidecar*&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

I'm sure it was one of those topic links that had some GREAT design info for the specific type I'm lookin' to build up this summer for my 29er cruiser. Below is a particular "pivoting" design I'm looking to replicate. I'm also considering a typical "solid" mount for my new bike build, to match my unique custom bike design.

Attachments

• sidecar.jpeg
    sidecar.jpeg
    140.8 KB · Views: 2,800
I really like that design it has good form and function the foot rests look to provide the passenger with a sense of security. combined that with the hand grips a person would likely be held tight in position. Much more likely to get a smile out of a passenger then a chair on a rolling platform :D

I really like the design of the one being sold by Scandinavian sidecar. :) Expensive, but I'm sure something can be fabricated for a fraction of the cost.

sidecar1.jpg
sidecar2.jpg
sidecar3.png

I was also considering converting a cheap used bike trailer into something like this:

sidecar4.jpg

This biggest problem I see about having a sidecar is that it pushes you out into the road another 2+ feet.

FWIW, that also makes you more visible and forces vehicles to go further around you.

I've found over the years taht the bigger you look the more likely most vehciles are to give you more passing room. There's always idiots, of course. :/

It's one reason I prefer my trike over anything else I've built so far--I get more road respect on it than anything bicycle-shaped.

I'm hoping Europe is better. Here in Southern California I've actually had cars swipe at us intentionally and with no reason except hate. A young guy was killed on a motorcycle here when his bike went under a truck. The driver got out, pulled his body out from under the truck and then he drove away like he hit a deer or something. :( Be careful out there.

eCue said:
I really like that design it has good form and function the foot rests look to provide the passenger with a sense of security. combined that with the hand grips a person would likely be held tight in position. Much more likely to get a smile out of a passenger then a chair on a rolling platform :D

I guess what I like most, is that it's a pivoting design,..... allowing the bike to lean independent of the sidecar. This type is typical of the lighter smaller designs above. Anything large enough to be capable of adult capacity, or heavy loads, is usually a rigid mount or "flying car".

The mounting system is based on the lightweight child carrier,... The Chariot Sidecarrier,... with the inclusion of a pivoting rear support for weight load and stability. Kind of a "hybrid" mount, rather than a true single pivot design.

The last post of this topic has some great points of consideration for "single pivot" designs.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=47248&p=694029&hilit=sidecar#p694029

While intended as a trailer hitch adapter to be mounted on the lower chain stay, I think the mount shown below be strong and versatile enough to use as a rear pivoting support for my "hybrid" multi point system. The front mount will be a simplified "heavy-duty" variation of Chariot's ultra-lite bolt-on design.

I much prefer bolt-on systems over welded frame mods or purpose built frames, as the bike better retains it's identity as a "bicycle" rather than "offset trike" or trike base.

Attachments

• PH23-hitch.jpg
    PH23-hitch.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 2,665
Back