My Sun Trip Bike, Back to Back Tandem Trike with Rowing Generator, Pedals, +Solar

Show off your E-bike creation here.
StuRat   100 W

100 W

Re: 2nd Half Plans

Post by StuRat » Jun 25 2018 2:12am

Limezy wrote:
Jun 25 2018 1:59am

So why would two award candidates such as Eric and Stephane take that route ?
Mr and Mrs Grin are heading on a different route to Eric and Stephane. If you zoom in on the map you'll see. God knows which turns who takes? Did the riders submit planned routes?? Can we see them??

I can't wait to get back to my big 'puta and proper google earth to see the terrain. Thanks for all that work Solarebike :D

justin_le   10 MW

10 MW

Re: My Sun Trip Bike, Back to Back Tandem Trike with Rowing Generator, Pedals, +Solar

Post by justin_le » Jun 25 2018 2:22am

Limezy wrote:
Jun 24 2018 11:16pm
@Justin could you please tell us more about your "south" option ?
For me it was an progression from this

Justin: "Hey Anne-Sophie, I really want to this Suntrip solar ebike ride on a tandem bike with you next summer. We'll be riding mostly through eastern Europe and Russia.."
Anne-Sophie: "Meh, maybe I'll do just the first week in France with you and then hang out with my family"

To this

Justin: "Hey Anne-Sophie, I really want to do this Suntrip solar ebike ride on a tandem with you. We'll ride through southern europe, down through the Balkans, then travel across turkey and finally into Persia.."
Anne-Sophie: "I'm in!!"
I have to admit that Raf's route looks easier (less mountains), more straight (less km lost), and I dont' get the point to go from south like Stephane and Eric, appart from having a bit more sun (which was not the case these last days...).
I think Raf nailed it for sure on this one. Plus he's got one of the most optimized bike setups for the journey, super efficient 27% panels, combination of front and rear panels for much lower air drag than those of us with solar roofs, and he's a crazy strong competitor. Being able to ride few km more directly is definitely an advantage over hypothetically having more sun, especially if you have a bike setup that can be ridden quite handily even without electric assist.

For us going south out of Switzerland was about the next countries we get to pass through and because that's be best way to go truly south through Turkey. There are 3 other teams that are doing this as well, that includes the two French Viguier brothers who are just behind us (or maybe they've just passed us in Zagreb, since I'm now on the computer all morning instead of riding :shock: ), the Moroccan tandem with Youssef and Mohamed, and finally Waiwon Ching of eZee bike who didn't get a tracker and isn't really participating in the formal event (using charger at night etc).

You'll see the other teams who went south now heading more northerly well we'll be branching downwards.
Turkey Teams.jpg
Turkey Teams.jpg (52.33 KiB) Viewed 1704 times
Currently recovering from the Suntrip race on a back to back tandem solar powered row/cycle trike. 550 watt solar roof, dual Grin All Axle hub motors, dual Phaserunner controllers, 12 LiGo batteries, and a whole wack of gear.

Now back in Vancouver with my Big Dummy Frame (yes This One, thanks ES!) with Grin all-axle front hub, Phaserunner controller, and 52V 19Ah Cellman triangle pack
My website: http://www.ebikes.ca
Please contact via email, info@ebikes.ca, rather than PMs, which are disabled

liveforphysics   100 GW

100 GW

Re: My Sun Trip Bike, Back to Back Tandem Trike with Rowing Generator, Pedals, +Solar

Post by liveforphysics » Jun 25 2018 5:52am

Enjoy the incredible adventures my friend!
Each carcinogen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for cancer.

Each mutagen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for reproductive genetic defects in your children.

Each engine start sprays them into a shared atmosphere which includes beings not offered an opportunity to consent accepting these cancer experiences and defective genetics life experiences.

Every post is a free gift to the collective of minds composing the living bleeding edge of LEV development on our spaceship.

justin_le   10 MW

10 MW

Post by justin_le » Jun 25 2018 8:10am

liveforphysics wrote:
Jun 25 2018 5:52am
Enjoy the incredible adventures my friend!
Thanks Luke! That we have been and will continue for the next 4 weeks, and will hopefully serve as encouragement for you're antarctic solar powered trip.

We're about 65km out of Zagreb in Croatia now, cloudy weather, stopped for a brief rest on the side of the road and then a local coffee shop owner came out to offer us a table, free drinks, snackfood, and unlimited wifi. :D So here I am.

Anyways for those curious about strategy, outside of riding as many hours as possible from 7am - 9pm, there's sooo many minor optimizations that are always on the back of one's mind.

Morning / Evening vs Noon Sun
When there are trees or building around, you can spend large amounts of time riding through shadows during the time when the sun lower on the horizon, while in the couple hours around Noon the sun is mostly directly overhead. So it makes full sense to be riding all the time around noon when the sun is above since you'll get the same solar input when moving or stopped. But in the evenings and mornings, you can get 3-4 times more average solar energy if you stop and point the panels right at the sun, compared to riding when they'll frequently be shaded or not optimally aligned. It's best to keep riding regardless, but if you ARE going to stop and do a solar recharge, it's best to time that for lower sun elevation and keep rolling when the sun is straight above.

East/West and North/South
This trip is mostly going eastwards, with the sun going east to west. So we only get to take advantage of the panel tilting when we are travelling in a northern or southern direction. The difference that this makes can be huge; when we were in Slovenia the other day we were still getting 350-400 watts in the evening when the road was either NE or SE, but when it was straight east, we'd only have about 200 watts. So if you have an option in the route plan, you'd want to do roads that contain a northern/southern travel direction in mornings or evenings, with the straight eastern roads around noon, if otherwise the distances are the same.

Actual route planning
Actually having a route plan with live maps and is a necessity to avoid all kinds of inefficient roads and navigation choices. This was the topic of great discussion amongst the various participants during the first days riding through france, and every imaginable navigation app seemed in play. As mentioned Google cycle routing is terrible for sending you down almost non-existant pathways. What would be most ideal is a route planner that selects the large roadways and highways that you're legally allowed to bike on, rather than the more scenic or low-traffic paths that are on most cycle touring suggestions.

We settled with Komoot after trying a few options.
https://www.komoot.com/
Anne-Sophie prepares trips in advance which we load on both our phones and a tablet, downloaded for offline viewing as well, and then during the ride we're frequently evaluating and sometimes changing this in response to road conditions as we roll. Usually the person in the front has the map in a high level of zoom to see all the imminent details with roundabouts, intersections etc., while the person rowing has the map zoomed much further out to look at the big picture. That's where we decide to override the suggested route if there's a more major roadway that still allows bicycles, it influences us whether it's worth tilting the solar roof for better sun exposure based on the average direction for the next many km or not, and it also lets us see the big picture elevation profile so that we can budget the battery accordingly.

Tandem setups have a big advantage here, I imagine if I was riding solo that I'd be very frequently stopping to double check route decisions and loosing some time that way, but in a tandem with a copilot there's no need to stop for this.
Currently recovering from the Suntrip race on a back to back tandem solar powered row/cycle trike. 550 watt solar roof, dual Grin All Axle hub motors, dual Phaserunner controllers, 12 LiGo batteries, and a whole wack of gear.

Now back in Vancouver with my Big Dummy Frame (yes This One, thanks ES!) with Grin all-axle front hub, Phaserunner controller, and 52V 19Ah Cellman triangle pack

ScorpionKing   1 mW

1 mW

Post by ScorpionKing » Jun 26 2018 12:13am

Justin, at Recumbent Cycle Con which is put on my Recumbent and Tandem Magazine, we has a presentation by Azub where we saw some pretty terrible road conditions in some of the area's you are going to be traveling in. Are the Solar Panels working out as well as you thought they would? Are there improvements you would make to the setup?

I think its great that you are sharing your great adventure with everyone.

Looking forward to your safe return!

Your buddy in Illinois,

Jason

Limezy   1 mW

1 mW

Post by Limezy » Jun 26 2018 1:00am

Hi Justin,

Thanks for these very interesting insights !
It's very fun to see how "solarizing" an e-bike has huge consequences on the way to handle it, the rythm, the roads and paths chosen etc...
Distances covered, even by the old competitors such as Françoise Denel, are really impressive.
It's maybe a bit soon but do you think solar ebikes have a future outside SunTrip or long distance world travellers such as @Solarebike ?
Do you plan to develop some dedicated products with your company ?

silicium   10 W

10 W

Post by silicium » Jun 26 2018 9:48am

Justin and Anne-Sophie by phone :wink:

RH205, A123 4P12S with BMS http://vae-tech.forumactif.org/t8-un-bms-home-made (in french)

StuRat   100 W

100 W

Post by StuRat » Jun 26 2018 8:52pm

It's those experiences that become the memories.

justin_le   10 MW

10 MW

Post by justin_le » Jun 27 2018 2:36am

Limezy wrote:
Jun 26 2018 1:00am
It's very fun to see how "solarizing" an e-bike has huge consequences on the way to handle it, the rythm, the roads and paths chosen etc...
Distances covered, even by the old competitors such as Françoise Denel, are really impressive.
That's true, especially when the sun is out. I'd say it's quite easy to double the viable daily touring range with a good solar assist setup. A lot of us now are in for several days of rain and even thunderclouds (have a look at the Belgrade Forecast to see what we're heading into), and I'm sure many people are wishing that they had a lightweight touring bike instead right now. Or were able to just hang out and enjoy whatever town they are in and then continue when it's sunny again rather than trucking on.
BelgradeWeather.jpg
BelgradeWeather.jpg (23.06 KiB) Viewed 1443 times
It's maybe a bit soon but do you think solar ebikes have a future outside SunTrip or long distance world travellers such as @Solarebike ?
YES! I've gone from being a total solar skeptic into really getting them. On a more relaxed kind of travel adventure, where you are free to charge with a normal charger when required it'd be perfect. Most of the time the sun alone will be more than enough, you don't have the hassle of stopping and planning charging points. We got over 3kWhr a day for the first few legs which is an insane amount of energy for a day. With mixed sun and clouds it's more like 1.5 kWhr, which is still plenty for a modest day's travel. In summer time that should account for most days with none of the hassle or delays associated with hunting for charging outlets that encumbers normal ebike touring.

But right now with rainclouds, the solar output is about 50 watts, not enough to overcome the drag and weight of the motors and panel assembly. If I could have charged up overnight that would have been sweet.

There are already quite a number of people who are doing solar ebikes outside of this Suntrip event. For instance we crossed paths with this french couple in Slovenia a few days ago, who are doing their own adventure by solar ebike and have a nice blog about it:
DuSoleils.jpg
DuSoleils.jpg (118.03 KiB) Viewed 1446 times
https://dusoleildanslesroues.com/2018/0 ... s-patates/

They've each got Bafang BBS style drives with solar panels on a trailer. About half what a typical Suntrip rider would use but more than enough for a less aggressive travel distance goals. I imagine we'll be seeing more and more people with setups like this.

The utility of solar ebikes outside of long distance touring but instead for day to day commuting? That's not so clear. But if you have outdoors parking space at work for the bike, then it could be handy and even a small 50-75 watt panel would be enough to keep a battery topped up while working without having to take the battery off the bike and bring it indoors.
Do you plan to develop some dedicated products with your company ?
It's looking likely ;-)
http://www.ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicy ... solar.html

Cowardlyduck   10 MW

10 MW

Post by Cowardlyduck » Jun 27 2018 4:02am

Nicely done Justin. Great to see your setup working so well. I could only dream of 'just' 50w on a cloudy day. :lol:
justin_le wrote:
Jun 27 2018 2:36am
The utility of solar ebikes outside of long distance touring but instead for day to day commuting? That's not so clear. But if you have outdoors parking space at work for the bike, then it could be handy and even a small 50-75 watt panel would be enough to keep a battery topped up while working without having to take the battery off the bike and bring it indoors.
This is me. :)
I've been commuting on my E-BikeE with solar for over 2 years now. As an IT contractor I typically work at various locations through my city (Canberra) and can usually manage to find an outside parking space where I can lock it up, angle it towards the sun and let it charge all day while I work. :)
I started with a 15w panel, then 30, now I have a 40w panel and am in the process of fitting it. It should get me somewhere around 150Wh of charge per day on a good day which is 20% of my total battery capacity (750Wh) or about 10km range. With another panel on the back (which I'm thinking about doing) and another on a roof, I could see it being possible to have a fully self charging commuter vehicle, but it starts to sacrifice practicality at some point so not something I am going to do just yet. I still have to ride this thing every day and navigate past other cyclists and traffic.

Cheers
High Power LiPo wiring harnesses - 4P - XT90, HXT4mm, 5.5mm. 200Amp+ capable. Global shipping.

Modified Stealth Fighter - Force air cooled motor @ 6KW, Heat-sinked Adaptto Mini-E. 49AH, 52V 18650 - 2.5Kwhr
Cowardlyducks - Stealth Fighter Videos

BikeE recumbent commuter - 9C, 6Fet Grinfineon, internal 17AH, 52V, + on-board solar.

The stuff I make and modify.

justin_le   10 MW

10 MW

Post by justin_le » Jun 27 2018 4:03am

I meant to post these images a while ago. In the rowing machine at a gym if I just do a relaxed stroke, it ends up being a flat and even force curve like you see here.
Concept2GentleStroke.jpg
Concept2GentleStroke.jpg (56.13 KiB) Viewed 1435 times
If instead I row hard, the legs have much more power than the arms, and so during the first half of the stroke there is a large hump of force from the legs expanding, while the 2nd half has about half this force while the arms and back complete the stroke.
Concept2HardStroke.jpg
Concept2HardStroke.jpg (59.08 KiB) Viewed 1435 times
During that first portion of the stroke when the legs are pulling hard, the arms experience the full tension on the rope as well even though they aren't doing any work, and it's a bit like being on a stretcher. In the mechanism that we have with the leg motion linked through a pulley, the arms only experience half of this tension force when the legs are pushing. (see viewtopic.php?p=1375676#p1375676) I think that makes it easier and with a more uniform force stroke on the drive when we are rowing hard, but sadly didn't have time to install a torque sensor to measure this.

Does it make our rowing any easier? Who knows!

An update on the rowing rig is that some aspects of it are working excellent. After 150km or so it feels so good to switch over from pedaling to rowing, or rowing to pedaling. I thought that I would be doing about 75% rowing and Anne-Sophie just 25%, but in the end it's been about 50:50 split. We both have sore knee joints after a while and the change in motion is so welcome. I'm really happy about this which was one of the design goals of the setup.

Mechanically, we screwed up big time in not initially building the row->crank linkage with a White Industries freewheel. I'd posted before about how one of the pawl springs broke during the initial rides in France
viewtopic.php?p=1388556#p1388556

Removing the broken spring and two associated pawls got us rolling fine again, but on Monday after another ~1000km the remaining springs failed, only now we're in southern Croatia with no large cities in site, at 6:00pm on a national holiday. Google showed one result for bicycle store about 30km further on so we ride there, expecting to find a commercial bicycle shop that might be open the following morning. Instead it's a house in a residential block with this small sign on the front
ServisaBicikla.jpg
ServisaBicikla.jpg (67.43 KiB) Viewed 1435 times
Not feeling too hopeful we rung the doorbell, and sure enough an older gentleman comes out and lets us know that it's his son's business, who's out with friends but will call right now. We get served hot drinks and fruits from their orchard and then 15 minutes later his son Danijel is over. He's got a full service/repair shop in his garage and has a side operation both repairing and restoring bicycles.
DanijelShop.jpg
DanijelShop.jpg (50.13 KiB) Viewed 1435 times
I explain the situation and show the broken freewheeling doublecrankset, and he has the perfect attitude of "well, let's see what we can do". Some hacking and grinding later and he's got the original seized freewheel off the custom adapter, and happens to have a replacement 16T single speed freewheel to clamp on it place.
FreewheelNoMore.jpg
FreewheelNoMore.jpg (84.71 KiB) Viewed 1435 times
NewFreewheel.jpg
NewFreewheel.jpg (26.55 KiB) Viewed 1435 times
By 8pm everything was fixed. We tried soo hard to offer any kind of payment but he wouldn't take it. The treatment that we've received in Croatia like this has been astounding. We greased the threads before screwing this freewheel on so that in the future now we'll be able to remove and replace it easily enough. The plan is to pickup a couple replacement freewheels at a bike shop in Belgrade to have on hand in case we have any further problems, and then we'll be able to do on-the-road repairs if this happens again. And in the meantime it gets us rolling and rowing again which is great.
StuRat wrote:
Jun 26 2018 8:52pm
It's those experiences that become the memories.
Indeed. And a huge thank you to Danijel and his family who treated us so well.
https://m.facebook.com/UsbDanijelPerisic/
BackInBusiness.jpg

e-beach   100 MW

100 MW
Location: Any Los Angeles area beach I am at. Or Santa Monica or possibly the south bay beaches.

Post by e-beach » Jun 27 2018 10:11am

What a great story!

:D
Favorite Quote: "This is L.A., sugar. There is no 'over the top." --- Chris Erskine

Current build: Liahona w/ cheap front suspension and suspension seat post. Yescomusa 36v 800w generic front hub motor. 15ah Headway triangle mounted pack. Tronsung 30 amp,

Previous Build:1992 Trek Antelope 800 - Bone Crusher (no suspension) - Yescomusa 800 watt 36 volt front wheel kit. Don't do it! Get suspension!!!

teklektik   10 GW

10 GW

Post by teklektik » Jun 27 2018 11:05am

I can't help but wonder if the guy who sold this unassuming trike to them on Craigslist has any notion of what has become of it or the adventure it's on... :D
justin_le wrote:
Apr 04 2018 10:27pm
Anyways quite out of the blue in the hunt for hackable trikes we came across this on Craigslist:
SunTour-TheBeginning.jpg
SunTour-TheBeginning.jpg (229.63 KiB) Viewed 1385 times
Visit Grin Technologies at www.ebikes.ca
Build Thread: 2WD Yuba Mundo V4

solarEbike   10 W

10 W

Post by solarEbike » Jun 27 2018 2:19pm

justin_le wrote:
Jun 25 2018 8:10am
But in the evenings and mornings, you can get 3-4 times more average solar energy if you stop and point the panels right at the sun, compared to riding when they'll frequently be shaded or not optimally aligned.
To illustrate, here's the output of a 188W solar ebike trailer riding in Northern California in June, 2-3 hours before sunset on a twisty, hilly road with lots of trees. Peak output is 168W but average is only 63W under these conditions.
solar trailer watts 2.5 hrs before sunset.jpg
Temp is for the motor, not ambient air temp.
solar trailer watts 2.5 hrs before sunset.jpg (186.94 KiB) Viewed 1357 times
SWB recumbent, Grin all-axle hub (5T in 20" wheel), Phaserunner, 6x LiGo battery, 330 watt sun-tracking solar trailer with 3 Genasun MPPT boost controllers (in progress), CA3 (SolarAnalyst firmware), GPS Analogger, Rohloff IGH. Solar ebike build, Website, Instagram, YouTube

teklektik   10 GW

10 GW

Cycle Analogger GPS Mod for CA Hookup

Post by teklektik » Jun 27 2018 4:57pm

There's now a quickie PDF posted on the Grin web site that describes the Analogger mod to get GPS data into the CA.

You can find it under "Learn / documents / Cycle Analogger Manuals"
It's listed as "Cycle Analogger GPS mod for CA hookup"

Here's a link to the Grin web page:
http://www.ebikes.ca/learn/documents.html

This mod coupled with the experimental firmware JLE linked >>here<< will get the same displays and data from your CA3+Analogger that the Sun Tour participants get with the custom Solar DataBoxes.

Have fun! :D

solarEbike   10 W

10 W

Re: Cycle Analogger GPS Mod for CA Hookup

Post by solarEbike » Jun 27 2018 6:40pm

teklektik wrote:
Jun 27 2018 4:57pm
There's now a quickie PDF posted on the Grin web site that describes the Analogger mod to get GPS data into the CA. [...snipped...]

Have fun! :D
Awesome! Thanks for all your hard work on this.

I just recorded a ride video and used DashWare to overlay the CA data. I'll post the edited video later. Here's a screen cap. I've already learned several things from this video that 2000 miles (3000 km) of road testing this rig didn't teach me.
CA+GPS Analogger+GoPro+DashWare screencap.jpg

UPDATE: Video is now posted https://youtu.be/bSMugd-wGD0
Last edited by solarEbike on Jun 30 2018 1:25pm, edited 1 time in total.
SWB recumbent, Grin all-axle hub (5T in 20" wheel), Phaserunner, 6x LiGo battery, 330 watt sun-tracking solar trailer with 3 Genasun MPPT boost controllers (in progress), CA3 (SolarAnalyst firmware), GPS Analogger, Rohloff IGH. Solar ebike build, Website, Instagram, YouTube

justin_le   10 MW

10 MW

Post by justin_le » Jun 29 2018 6:30pm

Cowardlyduck wrote:
Jun 27 2018 4:02am
With another panel on the back (which I'm thinking about doing) and another on a roof, I could see it being possible to have a fully self charging commuter vehicle, but it starts to sacrifice practicality at some point so not something I am going to do just yet. I still have to ride this thing every day and navigate past other cyclists and traffic.
Exactly. For me while commuting through traffic agility is of topmost importance. There's something a little bit frustrating when we are riding through with this solar trike that we can't just weave between cars and congestion, but instead have to stay in the auto's queue.

That point of where practicality gets sacrificed definitely shifts a lot with panel efficiency, and it's exciting to think what could be in store if ~30% efficient or higher solar cells became commercialized for mainstream. If we could get 150 watts from a panel that's just 1m x 0.5m, that's getting to be a pretty seriously useful charge current from a pretty manageable panel size.

justin_le   10 MW

10 MW

Setbacks

Post by justin_le » Jun 29 2018 7:03pm

Thanks Teklektic and Solarebiker for sharing technical analysis info from analogger/CA files. I'm going to be pulling all the logged trip data to date once we get to Sofia, Bulgaria after the weekend, and give ourselves a rest day. Then there will be plenty plenty of raw data to play with.

In the meantime, we've definitely NOT been moving close to our initially planned 200km / day pace and are about 2 days behind the original schedule at this point in the trip. Earlier when the weather was good we kept having nice visits or interruptions that would last for like 1.5 hours, and then we'd loose about 40km of travel time in the process.

Then the day after we had mechanical issues with the freewheel on the rowing drum linkage, we had one flat tire on the rear wheel in the morning, another in the afternoon, and then a 3rd flat like an hour after that! Up until this point we hadn't had a single issue with flats and were running Schwalbe marathon plus on each wheel.

The first two flats in the day looked to me like pinch flats and I made sure to run full pressure on the tire after fixing them. But when I looked at the 3rd flat tire, the leak was actual directly on the 1st patch that I had put on at the start of the day, with exactly the same wear pattern as I saw originally
Same Place, Same Day, New Leak.jpg
Same Place, Same Day, New Leak.jpg (136.71 KiB) Viewed 1138 times
It turned out that the leaks were happening from the result of a small tear in the sidewall of the marathon plus tires, and this produced a sharp edge that was cutting into the inner tube right at the sidwall tear. Once I saw this it all made sense
SidewallTear.jpg
SidewallTear.jpg (196.61 KiB) Viewed 1138 times
That tire was therefor hooped, but luckily we brought with us two much larger 20" x 2.8" tires as spares that we picked up from Canadian Tire. Each of these went on the front wheel, and then one of the front Marathon Plus tires became the new rear wheel.
Tire Musical Chairs.jpg
Tire Musical Chairs.jpg (268.19 KiB) Viewed 1138 times
TireSwapping.jpg
TireSwapping.jpg (258.67 KiB) Viewed 1138 times
At first after swapping out I was miffed at the extra drag from these large knobby low pressure tires, but once we hit rough Serbian roads and the trike just glided over without any rattle or shock to the frame, I fell in love. It used to be that the person on the front of the trike would holler out "BUMP" to the person rowing whenever there was a manhole cover, pothole, rough patch etc. imminent. Now we roll over these things without even noticing, with the call "BUMP" being reserved mostly for actual speed bumps. There's so much less shock on the frame, and we can also much more easily climb onto curbs or into the gravel/grass when fast drivers don't leave us enough room.

Now that I've experienced this it's going to be hard to go back to normal high pressure tires on the front. The extra ~1 Wh/km consumption due to the extra rolling drag is soooo worth it.
Badass Looking Front Tires.jpg
Badass Looking Front Tires.jpg (280.31 KiB) Viewed 1138 times

thepronghorn   100 W

100 W

Post by thepronghorn » Jun 29 2018 8:27pm

Did anyone else spot the super soaker water squirt gun strapped to the trike? What's it for?

solarEbike   10 W

10 W

Post by solarEbike » Jun 29 2018 9:23pm

thepronghorn wrote:
Jun 29 2018 8:27pm
Did anyone else spot the super soaker water squirt gun strapped to the trike? What's it for?
I'm going to go with stray dogs, the bane of a touring cyclist's existence.

wturber   100 kW

100 kW

Post by wturber » Jun 29 2018 9:55pm

I'm hoping the Super-Soaker is there for entertainment purposes on hot days. :^)

I'm not familiar with Schwalbe sidewalls, but in the past I've repaired tire rips and tears similar to that using tube patches. In fact my front tire currently has a nearly 1/2 inch jagged gash that is being reinforced by one patch that is overlaid with a larger patch.

I also always carry a sheet of Tyvek (old 5 1/2" floppy sleeve) as a second way to deal with such emergency repairs. The idea is to wrap the tube with Tyvek in the area of the tire fault. The fibers in the Tyvek provide the reinforcement that the tube needs to prevent it from blowing out the where the tire has been damaged. And while I haven't had the need to try it yet, I've also started carrying 1" Gorilla tape that I think could be used for similar situations - perhaps even more effectively since it has the adhesive to help secure things.
"Commuter - DC Booster"
Iron Horse 3.0 hardtail - 48V / 1000W / 470rpm generic Chinese DD Hub motor (ebay)
8 x 36v 4.3ah 10s 2P battery packs - 1500W 30A DC Boost Converter delivers 54v and about 1000 watts peak
53T/42T Sakae Road cranks - 30mph+ on flats
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=90369

amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Jun 29 2018 10:45pm

Even a dollar bill (or similar) will work for quite a while, but the tyvek works better. :)

(BTW, that's 5.25" rather than 5.5", for the floppy disk ;) and if you have an 8" sleeve it'll work too)

teklektik   10 GW

10 GW

Post by teklektik » Jun 29 2018 11:06pm

I carry a few inches of Schwalbe SnakeSkin sidewall with the bead trimmed away from an old tire carcass to glue behind a slash - basically a rubberized densely woven nylon graft. I haven't used it on my bike but installed such a patch on a stranded cyclist slashed tire. It inflated fine, looked good, and he rode away a happy guy. No info on longevity... :D

wturber   100 kW

100 kW

Post by wturber » Jun 29 2018 11:35pm

amberwolf wrote:
Jun 29 2018 10:45pm
(BTW, that's 5.25" rather than 5.5", for the floppy disk ;) and if you have an 8" sleeve it'll work too)
Yeah - I thought about that when I typed it but was too lazy to look it up. 5.25 and 3.5. 8" was before my time. But my first PC, a Leading Edge Model D did have the dual 5 1/4" floppy drives. I still have it.
"Commuter - DC Booster"
Iron Horse 3.0 hardtail - 48V / 1000W / 470rpm generic Chinese DD Hub motor (ebay)
8 x 36v 4.3ah 10s 2P battery packs - 1500W 30A DC Boost Converter delivers 54v and about 1000 watts peak
53T/42T Sakae Road cranks - 30mph+ on flats
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=90369

tigcross   10 W

10 W

Post by tigcross » Jun 30 2018 1:20pm

Amazing story and insights Justin and Anne-Sophie. I look forward to catching up when you return to BC