Yz-EEB *5000w, 50mph, mx style*

matt912836

100 W
My EEB frame started out as a regular 1000w 30mph bike...

The most I could do is 72v 1500w (more like 2500w @ 72v40a) getting me ~41mph and a motor that gets barely too hot after a heavy throttle session, even with holes drilled in the hub.

This only left me wanting more... more power... an upgrede here and there and then this happened...

In it's natural state... plugged into one of many many countless available power outlets found around NYC

I may have unintentionally gone the complete opposite direction of a stealthy look... whoops..

= 2006 YZ85 Seat and Body kit, fabricated to fit the EEB (many many zipties for the body kit)
= QS205 in 19" rim - Shinko 244 tire
= Sabvoton svmc72080 controller programmed @ 70a continuous
= Front 203mm + BB7
= Rear 203mm + formula Italy hydraulic
= 72v24ah 18650 battery
= 84v 1000w meanwell/laptop psu charger 84v13a
= Pops wheelies like no ones business and currently tops out at ~50mph

There's 12 36v4ah bricks, 2s6p. A single brick can do up to 20a but expect some voltage sag. 6 in parallel means 120a capable. On a full charge, the battery sags to 78-74~ volts when pulling 70 amps. I turned it down from 80 amps just to make it a tad easier on the battery, So a little more than 5000w fresh off the charge. Pretty good for only 24ah of "abused" 18650's ("abused" as in charging to 84.5v-85v every single recharge and running them at full potential every ride, frequently demanding 10-15amps per cell, for the past few months).

I could fit more batteries in the frame, but this thing is already really heavy, and I have to carry it up 4 flights of stairs, usually atleast twice a day.

So instead, I opportunity charge every chance I get :D . Finally got around to mounting the charger port inside for easy external access. Before i had to undo the two bottom screws to get to the charging port, now its just plug the charger into the wall, then plug the charger into the bike.

With 1000w continuous charger even 10-15 minutes gives a great recovery in range. Also, with a power meter on the bike and on the charger, I can see how many watt hours ive drawn from the pack during the ride, and also how many I put back into in recharging allowing me to know exactly where my battery is capacity wise. Range anxiety doesn't exist to me. Now that i think about it, i never really tested it's range on a single charge either ...

More pics to come... :pancake:

The yz plastic makes it look like its missing a license plate (imo) when your pedaling it would look like a downhill MTB on the road :D
Really good built it must be eye widen to ride :shock:

Thanks, well once most people catch a glimpse of me, they're usually amazed at the sight of what seems to be a dirt bike not making a single sound... when I slow down and they notice the pedals it completely throws them off. If it wasnt for the pedals id probably have a better chance at being harassed by cops too, but In reality, all cops just stop and stare just as much as the next person because they have no idea what's going on. And they really don't know the law about ebikes at all. I even had a few encounters with cops praising how cool it looks and when i tell them "i made it myself" they respect it so much more than "i bought it". I even take this on the subway no problems. It clearly looks like a motorcycle... but then its clearly mising an engine... it has pedals... and isn't making a sound... doesn't smell... as long as your not causing an unsafe situation on the side walk or in traffic or disturbing the area with super loud exhausts they really don't care. I ride this every day for work and only had one problem ever, that's because I basically asked for it, by cutting a cop off and speeding off. The one thing that im sure saved me that time was I was in the middle of a delivery and kept humble when he pulled me over and questioned me and told him I was in a rush. He told me to wear a helmet (I do now) and be more careful and let me go free.

Looks way better with thte 888's on the front! that front tire looks a bit anemic compared to the rest of the bike now =)

That is cool looking.. The e bike no matter the size, has to be registered around here. Sucks. Can't even ride on a bike trail around here. That is why I prefer to buy a electric moped that does 50 mph.

Laws in Missouri are stupid. The e bike classified by the federal government is can't be over a 750 watt motor and can only travel 20 mph on motor power only. Now States like Missouri are the e bike or e scooter is classified as a motorized bicycle, does not require registration nor insurance, but must have a valid driver's license to operate on streets or highways. City ordinances- Town of Belle Missouri requires a City Sticker, insurance and a flag. Now an electric kick scooter one would assume it would not have to be insured and need no City Sticker. Guess again. It still has a motor even though a toy. Other Cities don't require this on a electric scooter toy. But Belle does.

The yellow sticker on the where batteries are is a City Sticker. And proof of insurance.. I think the City is going beyond its rights. What next.. Should a bicycle need insurance to operate on a City Street? Should a jogger require insurance? There is a difference in a toy electric scooter and a vehicle that can cause serious damage.1524762441276-95171705.jpgIMG_20180604_140142.jpg

The e scooter was bought through Walmart Online. It is classified by the federal government as a Personal Transporter. It is classified as the same thing as a unicycle, segway, self balance scooter, e scooter. The e scooter came with no lights which the city required to be Street legal. Hurdles and all. Found lights and turn signals over web for bicycles. It is fairly stupid to be forced to insure a toy. See, no where in the country could a person open a policy on just a electric kick scooter alone. And I owned a 49cc scooter and the insurance company would not insure it in Columba MO because they said renters or the homeowners policy aught to cover it. See, it is classified as a bicycle/ electric bike under Missouri law. One can't insure a bicycle. IMG_20180513_224142.jpgIMG_20180508_023416.jpgIMG_20180501_170629.jpg

But each State may be different, City ordinances may be different. City laws are sticter than State laws, but usually don't cross each other.. Crossing each other is like the State of Missouri says a bicycle or motorized bicycle can operate after dark if it has proper lighting. If the City gave me a ticket for riding after dark though I had proper lighting, well that would not be right to the State of Missouri. The City can regulate ATVs, UTVs, golf carts from riding after dark, but can't on bicycles and motorized bicycles that have proper lights. Most States are this way. I still think the State of Missouri needs a new law passed defining a motorized bicycle from a non motorized bicycle. I mean, I would classify a motorized bicycle as a 49cc scooter, a moped, an electric moped scooter. A electric kick scooter, bicycle, self balancing scooter would all fall under bicycle. And the electric scooter could only travel a certain speed and have a certain size motor. But letting it stand as a motorized bicycle gives me rights to streets and highways that any other vehicle has. Just can't park on sidewalks. But under the OPDMD laws, I can park on a sidewalk or go into a store and shop with it. I am disabled and thus am not under the same rules as the public. But the rules just allow me to access State Park Trail legally on a OPDMD to make it easier on me due to disabled. Access stores more easy. Though I would treat it as a bicycle and thus the same rules would apply under the law. Park outside of store. The only difference is can access State Park Trails where only a bicycle or pedestrian are allowed to access. Sort of like the State Parks over look the device being electric and allow access.

Havent updated in a while..

Heres before I swapped the panels out for Vector side panels..

And after. Note the side panels do not fit straight away, they have to be modified to fit.

Made a 72v 53ah battery out of new Boston Swing 5300 cells. 3800wh. 20s10p. 10p is capabale of 130 amps continuous discharge, and also capabale of a total 100 AMP CONTINUOUS CHARGE RATE ... thanks to the aluminum casing these boston swing cells can handle extreme temperatures and can take a 2c charge rate as per the data sheet... something ive yet to see in any 18650 capable of! And these perform exactly to spec as long as you stick to what the datasheet says it can do.

2 sets of 10s10p for a total of 20s10p

Test fitting the first block, they fit side by side perfectly with some room to spare for wiring

Range anxiety is a thing of the past..

That's a pretty cool spin on the EEB style frame.

That is a monster of a battery pack! I like seeing different cells. 8)

10min straight highway run 50mph+

The ONLY setup i woud feel comfortable doing this with! Heavy hub and heavy bike with huge battery means stability and reliability. Absolutely NO room for mechanical parts to fail or electric parts to struggle and overload on an NYC highway!

https://www.instagram.com/tv/BqxdQ4xA148/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=qmrnxlg9gd1b

These boston cells are two unimpressive 18650 cells in parallel, 5300/2 comes out to 2650 and 6.5A each. What you did there can easily be reached and surpassed with 18650.

Looks great!

I thought NYC cops hated ebikes and were confiscating them until the law recently changed. They were targeting poor food delivery riders.

fechter said:
Looks great!

I thought NYC cops hated ebikes and were confiscating them until the law recently changed. They were targeting poor food delivery riders.
neptronix said:
That's a pretty cool spin on the EEB style frame.
pwd said:
That is a monster of a battery pack! I like seeing different cells. 8)
Appreciate all your comments!

Tommm said:
These boston cells are two unimpressive 18650 cells in parallel, 5300/2 comes out to 2650 and 6.5A each. What you did there can easily be reached and surpassed with 18650.

Show me another 18650 cell that can be charged at 2c? These 5300mah cells can be charged at 10 amps each... meaning this battery pack could potentially be charged at 100 amps if i had a power supply big enough... And due to the aluminum casing these perform way better in the extreme temperatures compared to steel 18650s.

Looks a hell of a lot easier to put together a pack.. half the work is done for you.

matt912836 said:
Show me another 18650 cell that can be charged at 2c? These 5300mah cells can be charged at 10 amps each... meaning this battery pack could potentially be charged at 100 amps if i had a power supply big enough... And due to the aluminum casing these perform way better in the extreme temperatures compared to steel 18650s.

How do they perform better under temperature if they are 6.5 amp cells compared to 15A cells of 18650? These things will vent doing the same tests. And you know if it traps heat outside, it also traps it inside right?

Do you use a 100A charger, or why is it so important?

Did you get the Jehu's group buy special?

If I had gotten that price I would have jumped all over it. It was sold out for a couple days by the time I heard about it.

At around $100/kwh, just go big and spend a few more watts carrying it around.

I bought some NOS Panasonic cells instead for about $260/kwh. Better cells but not 2.6x better.

Matt hows the battery holding up? Im currently building a pack of these (20s10p) and am wondering how they do under load at 10-13amps each (100-130amp from the pack). I bought enough cells to do 11p or even 12p if there is enough room! But it will be a little bit of a hassle to get this many cells into the enduro frame and have enough room for the BMS and all the wiring. Just wondering if its really worth the hassle. In my head I definitely want to but if they handle 10amps each continuous no problem without heating up too much or sagging too much idk if its worth it.

Back