Andrew's LMX 161 Chain-drive massacre Build Log

brumbrum

100 kW
Time for some mid-drive madness :D
Got myself a base kit from the lads at LMX in France just before they begin pushing out the homologated 161 road legal model to the early investors who have paid for the privilege.

The base kit includes frame, swingarm, seat, motor, battery box, drive chain, rear wheel and sprocket. Also included are a lot of finer fabricated and moulded parts including fixings, frame covers, mudguards, connectors and other sundries.

Needed are:
Controller
Battery
Rear tyre
Front wheel n tyre
Brakes
Front forks
Rear shock
Handle bars
Cycle analyst

Here's a video overview of the product and what i've done so far...

[youtube]6O_8aPFIvqU[/youtube]

Looks great! Big fan of the LMX. Are you able to get yours road legal once assembled? Or is it very specifically only the complete builds by LMX?

Ohbse said:
Looks great! Big fan of the LMX. Are you able to get yours road legal once assembled? Or is it very specifically only the complete builds by LMX?

Its only complete builds direct from LMX which will have the special seal of approval for road use. Mine will just be an anti social dirt bike for up on the hills

Part 2 video.... Apologies for abrupt ending i ran out of storage space

[youtube]NJ0iv3VjD6w[/youtube]

thanks again for a great video Andrew!
a few thoughts ?:

for the seat maybe its better you attach the upper link part a bit further , i think this part is attached with simple wood star( philips) screw into the plastic so it might be better to move them abit more right?

the chain needs one more link for sure! you want about 3 fingers free play in that part before the footpeg

maitilupas said:
thanks again for a great video Andrew!
a few thoughts ?:

for the seat maybe its better you attach the upper link part a bit further , i think this part is attached with simple wood star( philips) screw into the plastic so it might be better to move them abit more right?

the chain needs one more link for sure! you want about 3 fingers free play in that part before the footpeg

Thanks for helping.

I think the seat issue is now sorted , i am of course more worried about the chain tension. i am guesing that it will stretch quite quickly. In fact just by pulling on the chain has slackened it slightly, but i am still concerned. There is definitely not three fingers of slack.
There is no more room whats so ever to move the wheel inwards. I will contact LMX in the next day or two. I have got to the point i want to power it up and program the controller.

The good news is that i have power. Bad news is that the motor is running backwards and i was told i could use the Kelly 'auto Identification' but there is no option for this in the user programming. Anyone know any different?
I believe the KLS series of controllers has it and i thought KBS would have too?
Does the kelly controller just automatically correct the hall signals? Leaving me to just swap the phases to get correct direction? (Btw there is no direction change button in the user programming menu)

Another issue is my CAv2.3. I input a R-shunt value and after leaving the screen in the menu it changes back again! :?
Any help appreciated please!

there is a rev and an auto identify option in the kely user program bellow the smooth settings, be careful when using this , if the motor is running can damage the controller , i ruined one like that...

i guess you can use rev option and use auto identify , and than take the auto identify option out in the next reboot , should be simple as that

bzhwindtalker said:
Yes Mait you are right, the option should be "inverse output" after a successful "phase auto_dicern"

Sent you the settings in PM

Adam
maitilupas said:
there is a rev and an auto identify option in the kely user program bellow the smooth settings, be careful when using this , if the motor is running can damage the controller , i ruined one like that...

i guess you can use rev option and use auto identify , and than take the auto identify option out in the next reboot , should be simple as that

Thanks guys, i really appreciate the help. I was a bit stumped as the user program was different to what i have seen before.
I have now done a successful auto identify and have the motor running in correction direction. The controller kept throwing up a hall throttle fault after the auto detect so i unplugged CA and throttle cables and tried again, and now all seems ok.
Although i have a regen cable wired in ready i think i will leave it be until i have everything else working properly. I still have no bms or 16s charger, they are for next months pay packet :wink:
I am a happy bunny again..... That is, until the next puzzle pops up.

brumbrum said:
The controller kept throwing up a hall throttle fault after the auto detect so i unplugged CA and throttle cables and tried again, and now all seems ok.

which throttle are you using , did you tried 5v instead of 5k?

Hall throttle is open or short-circuit "When the throttle is repaired, a restart will clear the fault." but i think you red this

maitilupas said:
brumbrum said:
The controller kept throwing up a hall throttle fault after the auto detect so i unplugged CA and throttle cables and tried again, and now all seems ok.

which throttle are you using , did you tried 5v instead of 5k?

Hall throttle is open or short-circuit "When the throttle is repaired, a restart will clear the fault." but i think you red this

The fault code was the one you have quoted. I am just using hall sensor throttle, nothing fancy. its all now working fine.
My next headache is getting the Rshunt value correct on the cycle analyst. Until i know this i cannot check properly the amount of amps being consumed both with and without a load. I dont really want to use the bike or even program it until i can monitor the amps. There are two differing ratios in the cycle analyst for using different size shunts(high and low), but i dont quite understand exactly what value to input and which ratio will work best as there are numerical limits for each one.

bzhwindtalker said:
Yes Mait you are right, the option should be "inverse output" after a successful "phase auto_dicern"

Sent you the settings in PM

Adam

I've set Rshunt on the CA to .5000 i assume this is correct for the shunt you supplied me?

I get a no load reading of 7amps on full throttle, is this around the right mark for the mid-drive lmx motor?

brumbrum said:
I've set Rshunt on the CA to .5000 i assume this is correct for the shunt you supplied me?

I get a no load reading of 7amps on full throttle, is this around the right mark for the mid-drive lmx motor?

yeap ! should be about that! i get 6 with no load! , i do some loading using the disk break, its bad i know..

maitilupas said:
brumbrum said:

yeap ! should be about that! i get 6 with no load! , i do some loading using the disk break, its bad i know..

Great :D Yes it flickers between 6 and 7 amps.

Any idea what kind of chain lube is good to use?

We use industrial chain lube, in an aerosol can. It makes a big difference to the noise, but usually the first 100 or so km are a bit noisier than after that due to normal wear of the parts.

I thought for the shunt we had sent a note with the Rshunt value? We sent a 75mv/150A unit so it should be 0.5mohm if I remember right.

Best regards, Adam

bzhwindtalker said:
We use industrial chain lube, in an aerosol can. It makes a big difference to the noise, but usually the first 100 or so km are a bit noisier than after that due to normal wear of the parts.

I thought for the shunt we had sent a note with the Rshunt value? We sent a 75mv/150A unit so it should be 0.5mohm if I remember right.

Best regards, Adam

Thanks for answering. Yes you did send a note, its on the cycle analyst cover, which i completely overlooked! :oops:

Industrial chain lube. Will get some.

For those interested, here is the wiring diagram i used. It initially came from LMXs' forum and i just added a couple of bits to suit my own purposes.
35mfkw6.jpg

Back