Around the world on a solar ebike

Show off your Ebike creation here.
Paulfin   1 µW

1 µW

Re: Around the world on a solar ebike

Post by Paulfin » Dec 25 2020 11:45pm

Thank you Chalo and solarEbike! I was really hoping to not need to constantly swap batteries, and now I see that I won't need to. I'll also look into how I might connect them in series. Any thoughts on good reading for how to do that would be great. I so appreciate the generosity of this group.

solarEbike   100 W

100 W

Post by solarEbike » Dec 25 2020 11:54pm

As long as this thread is getting bumped to the top, allow me to throw in a YouTube video recommendation. Light Speed is a new documentary about last year's World Solar Challenge in Australia. These solar race cars were the inspiration for my project back in 2006. I thought "sure, these cars have big teams and huge budgets but I bet a lot of what they're doing can be scaled to bicycle size and speed."

Since then, I have met a couple of the teams, got to drive one of the retired cars (at low speed in the parking lot at Google headquarters) and even had custom solar modules assembled and encapsulated for my bike by SunCat Solar, the same company that made the panels for several of the teams in this video series. There are 6 episodes. The first two are free, the rest require a YouTube Premium subscription. I signed up for the 30 day free trial. Totally worth it if available where you live. Don't start watching the first episode at midnight like I did or you may find yourself binge-watching the whole series.

[youtube]XwwlHMLRF-I[/youtube]

PS: If you only watch car races for the crashes and fireballs explosions, you won't be disappointed.
Current setup: SWB recumbent, Grin All Axle hub w/ Statorade, 2x Phaserunner, 6x LiGo+ battery, 238 watt sun-tracking solar trailer and 76 watt solar roof with 3 Genasun MPPT boost controllers, CA3 w/ solar FW & GPS Analogger, Rohloff hub. Solar ebike build, Website, Instagram

solarEbike   100 W

100 W

Post by solarEbike » Oct 20 2021 11:43am

Quick update for anyone who doesn't already follow me on InstaGram or my blog. I'm midway through a 4500 mile (7000 km) shakedown cruise from Vancouver, BC to San Diego, CA. Currently making a pit-stop for some well-timed maintenance and repairs in St. Paul, Minnesota thanks to the generosity of fellow ES member rowbiker.

My route is pieced together from the ACA Northern Tier route and the ACA Bike Route 66 route. Daily-ish updates posted on IG and the blog. I suggest starting with Day 1.

Bike and rider are both holding up quite well. Weather has been better than I had any right to expect. I'm beginning the southbound leg of the trip just in time.
US tour map.png
US tour map.png (4.99 MiB) Viewed 162 times
I stopped at Grin Tech headquarters and we shot a new video which went up on the Grin YouTube channel on Oct. 1.

Daily trip stats, solar generation, power consumption, etc. for the data-curious.
Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 11.34.48 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 11.34.48 AM.png (476.46 KiB) Viewed 162 times
Here's the spreadsheet.
Current setup: SWB recumbent, Grin All Axle hub w/ Statorade, 2x Phaserunner, 6x LiGo+ battery, 238 watt sun-tracking solar trailer and 76 watt solar roof with 3 Genasun MPPT boost controllers, CA3 w/ solar FW & GPS Analogger, Rohloff hub. Solar ebike build, Website, Instagram

markz   100 GW

100 GW

Post by markz » Oct 20 2021 8:10pm

How many close calls with vehicles have you had riding?
solarEbike wrote:
Oct 20 2021 11:43am
-
Last edited by markz on Oct 21 2021 12:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cowardlyduck   1.21 GW

1.21 GW

Post by Cowardlyduck » Oct 20 2021 10:01pm

Does your planned global route pass through Australia?
If it does, hit me up. You would be more than welcome to stay a night and recharge!

Cheers

solarEbike   100 W

100 W

Post by solarEbike » Oct 21 2021 6:52am

Cowardlyduck wrote:
Oct 20 2021 10:01pm
Does your planned global route pass through Australia?
If it does, hit me up.
It does, thank you! I plan to ride from San Diego to Alaska next spring and then continue on to Japan and Australia in August/September if the Covid situation allows it.

thundercamel   10 kW

10 kW

Post by thundercamel » Oct 21 2021 12:05pm

This is awesome! Wish you were coming closer to the Chicago area
My Ebike builds - Existing bikes, affordable motor kits, self built 14s6p batteries - Now with more recumbent!

solarEbike   100 W

100 W

Post by solarEbike » Oct 21 2021 3:27pm

thundercamel wrote:
Oct 21 2021 12:05pm
This is awesome! Wish you were coming closer to the Chicago area
Thanks! I originally planned to get closer to Chicago before switching to the ACA "Bicycle Route 66" but I got a slightly later start than planned and slightly lower daily mileage so I'll be heading south toward St. Louis after my stop here in St. Paul.

fechter   100 GW

100 GW

Post by fechter » Oct 21 2021 4:16pm

Looking great so far. I hope the weather stays ok for you. It’s raining pretty hard here.
"One test is worth a thousand opinions"

solarEbike   100 W

100 W

Post by solarEbike » Oct 22 2021 7:23am

fechter wrote:
Oct 21 2021 4:16pm
Looking great so far. I hope the weather stays ok for you. It’s raining pretty hard here.
It’s looking good for Saturday when I head out from St. Paul toward St. Louis but temps are getting down to just above freezing in the mornings.