24v EV Global E-Bike

the e wind

10 W
Here it is, my 24v EV Global E-Bike, designed by Lee Iacocca. Yes, it is the same guy that designed the original Mustang. Too bad they didn't have (proper) lithium batteries back in the 90's, or the 60's for that matter.

AX65jO0.jpg

This is a 1997 model. It is 100% stock except that I replaced the stock 24v, 10ah lead acid battery pack with a 24v 7ah LiFePO4 battery. The battery went from weighing over 20 pounds to about 5. I removed the internal charger, bought a lithium charger, and then did some connector jazz until I could plug the new charger into the original charge port to charge the new pack. I am mostly riding this bike right now because I fried the controller on my other bike, but the range has surprised me; It goes about 15 miles before cutting off. Now granted, I believe it only assists to ~14mph and only runs 250w. I bought it off the Asheville craigslist for super duper cheap b/c they didn't know what was wrong with it. It turns out that the brake cutoff sensors were loose, and just had to be adjusted (superglued) back in place. Then it ran fine. Silly craigslist people. So add the cost of the batteries, and this entire e-bike cost me less than $250 to purchase and setup.

The bike is annoyingly slow, but makes up for it by being so comfortable; the seat is really cushy, but it also has your essentials like a horn, brake-actuated tailight, cuise control, low speed vehicle VIN number, etc..... To be fair, it still gets me to work faster than a regular bike. They really spent money in all the wrong places on this thing; even the frame (inside the facia cover) is made of a ridiculous amount of steel tubes going in all directions. But it is great to have around when designing modern, more higher performance e-bikes with a good finish quality.

That sucks man sorry to hear that, maybe the bike ran away cause you called it annoyingly slow...either way ive had three of those bikes. They always seem like a good idea until your into it. Best bet is to find a cheap frame only and put a brushless hub motor kit on it and get rid of all the stock crap.

Hopefully your bike makes it back to you. But the only thing worth keeping on evg bikes are the frames and they lack rear suspension and are fairly heavy and not that big tbh

Bike thieves suck...Sorry for your loss, but at least you got to spend a brief time together.

And the frames may be a little small, and heavy, but stripped down and hotrodded, they make a nice platform for building a matched pair of low budget parking lot racers. :D

pair.jpg

OMG I LOVE those custom EVG's!!!!! They look sooo mean!

I was inspired to make the purchase b/c of some guy in San Francisco who posted a vid of himself destroying hills with a modded Lee Iacocca. Big rear hub motor, nice spot for modern batteries... that's about it. Honestly, though, I got to liking the periphery stuff (brake light connected to motor cutoff, loud @$$ horn, and cruise contro?!?! - it all runs on 24v FYI). They have a lot of features that nice new production bikes are still missing. You know that EVG's have VIN numbers that federally designate it as a Low Speed Vehicle? Talk about over-engineered

Thanks for the kind words... I'm going to write it up in another post, but got both running and had super fun racing already.

And its too bad you're so East... otherwise theres the remote possibility I could help you find another one... :D

evgfleet.jpgevgfleet2.jpg

hahaha thanks for the pics. I have never seen a mini folder without its plastics! They went so ridiculously bulky on materials with these bikes...

F7795F51-8525-46AA-A766-94E13F92BDC5.jpegIs there any way you can contact me to teach me how to change my batteries like you did I’m about to buy one for 150 and want to lessen the weight of the batteries as well please. My email is eduardobansan@gmail.com. Phone number (907)227-1808 it’ll be my first ebike I’m excited and want to make changes please get back to me as soon as possible no calls just texts please haha or email I’m impressed and want to copy that idea. :)

the e wind said:
Here it is, my 24v EV Global E-Bike, designed by Lee Iacocca. Yes, it is the same guy that designed the original Mustang. Too bad they didn't have (proper) lithium batteries back in the 90's, or the 60's for that matter.

AX65jO0.jpg

This is a 1997 model. It is 100% stock except that I replaced the stock 24v, 10ah lead acid battery pack with a 24v 7ah LiFePO4 battery. The battery went from weighing over 20 pounds to about 5. I removed the internal charger, bought a lithium charger, and then did some connector jazz until I could plug the new charger into the original charge port to charge the new pack. I am mostly riding this bike right now because I fried the controller on my other bike, but the range has surprised me; It goes about 15 miles before cutting off. Now granted, I believe it only assists to ~14mph and only runs 250w. I bought it off the Asheville craigslist for super duper cheap b/c they didn't know what was wrong with it. It turns out that the brake cutoff sensors were loose, and just had to be adjusted (superglued) back in place. Then it ran fine. Silly craigslist people. So add the cost of the batteries, and this entire e-bike cost me less than $250 to purchase and setup.

The bike is annoyingly slow, but makes up for it by being so comfortable; the seat is really cushy, but it also has your essentials like a horn, brake-actuated tailight, cuise control, low speed vehicle VIN number, etc..... To be fair, it still gets me to work faster than a regular bike. They really spent money in all the wrong places on this thing; even the frame (inside the facia cover) is made of a ridiculous amount of steel tubes going in all directions. But it is great to have around when designing modern, more higher performance e-bikes with a good finish quality.

I have a 1999 24v GV Global bike. With battery in, I get the GO beeps, but it doesn't move. The rear brake light is constantly on.
Any ideas?

gar said:
I have a 1999 24v GV Global bike. With battery in, I get the GO beeps, but it doesn't move. The rear brake light is constantly on.
Any ideas?

You probably have a short, plug, or switch problem on the brake indicator circuit. Most commercial e-bikes have a power interlock that keeps the motor from driving when a brake is engaged.

Unplug the cable to the brake lever and note if anything changes. If nothing changes, put a jumper across the brake indicator wires to the controller and note if anything changes.

I just acquired a 24 volt EVGlobal E-Bike. The motor only runs when I engage (the throttle and) the left brake lever. Why would that be and how do I fix?

Kaidiba said:
I just acquired a 24 volt EVGlobal E-Bike. The motor only runs when I engage (the throttle and) the left brake lever. Why would that be and how do I fix?

First, use a multimeter to determine if the brake lever switch is normally closed or normally open. If it's normally closed, simply leave the problem brake lever unplugged from the wiring harness, and the bike should run fine (though without that lever activating the brake light or interrupting motor power).

If the brake lever has three contacts (NO, NC, and common), then switch the NO or NC wire to the other contact.

Thanks so much! Newbie question: Do I need to remove the battery (or remove the plastic surround) to get to the controller board?

Kaidiba said:
Thanks so much! Newbie question: Do I need to remove the battery (or remove the plastic surround) to get to the controller board?

I've never taken one apart, so I can't offer any advice.

Those bikes use Heinzmann brushed hub motors, which are stone-axe simple. So however much stuff is or isn't working on your bike, it's probably cheap and easy to get it rolling again.

Thanks again. I had misread your prior post and thought I had to check the connection to the controller board. I refastened the connection to the brake lever and it now works fine.

Kaidiba said:
Thanks again. I had misread your prior post and thought I had to check the connection to the controller board. I refastened the connection to the brake lever and it now works fine.

That’s good news! It’s also a good example of how simple the malfunctions in e-bikes usually are.

I bought a EVG E BIKE Electric Bike 24V this past weekend. I love it, but it doesn’t go very fast. I’m used to another that goes 17 mph. Does anyone know how to make the changes to make it go faster?

You can't with the stock system. Some of the later model ones were 36v, so maybe that is why this one is slower.

Edit- could the other faster one you rode maybe have had aftermarket controller etc under the plastics?

I have a 24 volt EV global ebike it gives me three beeps followed by three more beeps and the motor won't run. I have tried connecting the motor directly to the batteries and the motor does work. The lights brake lights also work correctly. I can't find any description of the error code I am receiving the pdf online does not describe a three beep followed by three beep error. Does anybody know what this means?

It appears my throttle has went bad. I took ohm readings on it and the readings are not what they should be. According to the manual. Does anybody know where I can get a replacement throttle or know of a throttle that will work?

We have found two mini EV Global folding bikes from February '02 VIN FBMB******F****** and VIN FBMB****X2F******( I have the complete numbers at home!), that the manufacturer replaced the original Lithium with NiMh 36v7Ah(long dead), and I have installed a 36v20Ah LiFePO4 battery in each. They both run, and fast! The Heinzmann motors are both 400W, 24V, Serial#: F9621651 and F9514118. The original owners manuals and manufacturer notifications of battery pack exchange are INCLUDED, as well as two sets of keys for each battery 'trunk'.

I am concerned about the spark that occurs when I plug in the battery in one of them but not the other. Am I simply filling the large capacitor in the controller, or can I expect a parasitic drain? I have fried both my multi testers' fuses by hitting the 'throttle', so I don't know the amperage upon simply plugging in. I even started with the 10A setting!

I also wonder how noisy the metal-to-metal gears should be before I dare to open them up to lubricate. Is a suitable motorIMG_7619.JPGIMG_7620.JPG manual available?

Back