Why I ride electric

John in CR

100 TW
The best part of my 50km daily commute is the stoplights. Here's a sample. Sorry about the editing error with 4x speed on the launch at 2m10s.

[youtube]msIlEI2mBGI[/youtube]

Bad ass video, it will be an honor to hunt motos with you again in your beautiful country. I felt immediately comfortable riding in your cities and highways because your bikes were so fast traffic was always behind us. :)

This i amazing. Please post a picture of the bike - would love to see. :D

It was very funny to see how people react, haha. :twisted:

liveforphysics said:
Bad ass video, it will be an honor to hunt motos with you again in your beautiful country. I felt immediately comfortable riding in your cities and highways because your bikes were so fast traffic was always behind us. :)

Thanks Luke. Those old bikes were next to nothing in terms of performance compared to my rides now, though Blue, my cargo bike of photo shoot and rogue wave fame is still going with the same system. Everything else has at least triple the power. I'm just wrapping up a 2wd, something I've wanted to try for years. It will have dual HubMonsters running 7kw peak on the front with a moderately soft current ramp up. The rear will get fed 17kw peak. I have to wait until dry season to really juice it up, but the combined 24kw or so geared for about 70mph should make for an exhilarating ride in the meantime. I won't have to worry about any cooling mods with the helper motor up front, since I ran a stock HubMonster with the rear controllers, voltage and wheel size for 9 months without issue pushing only 40lbs less all up load. 40lbs (about 10% more load than before) for triple the range, 40% more power, and double the cooling seems like a good trade-off. Of course it helps that I've dropped a tremendous amount of weight, and the laws haven't changed so I can still have extreme performance and treated the same as a pedal bike or push cart, but far safer mixing in traffic.

John, what are you running for controllers for your 2WD setup?

John in CR said:
[...]and the laws haven't changed so I can still have extreme performance and treated the same as a pedal bike or push cart, but far safer mixing in traffic.

"Safer". Yeah, that's the ticket. Safer. Because your gringo personal judgment is so much better than everybody else's personal judgment. I get that.

KE = ½ mv^2. I get that too.

Anyway, that's very nice for you until your country wakes up and regulates your motorcycles the same way they regulate professionally engineered motorcycles. Until then, try not to hurt anybody (even yourself).

Chalo said:
John in CR said:
[...]and the laws haven't changed so I can still have extreme performance and treated the same as a pedal bike or push cart, but far safer mixing in traffic.

"Safer". Yeah, that's the ticket. Safer. Because your gringo personal judgment is so much better than everybody else's personal judgment. I get that.

KE = ½ mv^2. I get that too.

Anyway, that's very nice for you until your country wakes up and regulates your motorcycles the same way they regulate professionally engineered motorcycles. Until then, try not to hurt anybody (even yourself).

Anyone who thinks that riding slowly at the side of the road being passed by multitudes of cars on every ride is safer than being in control of almost all interactions with cars and using acceleration and speed to create safe space is simply wrong. Of course the kinetic energy is higher, but I don't ride near pedestrians and give cyclists far more space that cars do. I ride with great care and courtesy while demonstrating what is possible with electrics, so I consider myself a good ambassador for an all electric future by promoting it on a daily basis. Call my ebikes whatever you want, but they're perfectly legal on the road. Of course they'll legally be motor vehicles in the future, but I assure you the "waking up" you mention won't be the ridiculous low power limits people like yourself help craft as law in much of the world. That's only appropriate in the Netherlands which has the infrastructure and flat terrain. To be useful and practical vehicles in much if not most of the world, ebikes need to be somewhere between pedal bikes and motorcycles.

Stop trying for force your cyclist views on me. You don't see me trying to jam my viewpoint that bicycles don't belong on pedestrian pathways, something certainly more dangerous to others than my riding.

Back