Fat Bike build 500W TSDZ2 Middle Motor

MaartenL

10 mW
UPDATE 2018-08-19

Still going strong! Actually nothing broke really, it was the chain making problems. It was a little loose and would jump off, so I made it a little tighter.

420km on the road and I'm loving it. :)

UPDATE 2018-07-30

First time builder from The Netherlands / Europe
190 cm /6.23 foot
80kg / 176 lbs
Terrain is all-in FUN from road to the beach to off-road steep climbing

So I bought a Dutch Fat Bike from Switzz Bikes!

switzz_8_1.jpg

Fat 8.1 specs:
Wheels 26"
Tires: Kenda Juggernaut Sport 26″x4.00
Frame: Aluminium 6061
Disc Brakes: Tektro Aquila Mechanical Disc
Gears: 8 Speed Shimano Clarius
Chain: KMC -72
Cassette: 8 Speed HG41

Dropout / HUB spacing / Axel for rear wheel: 197mm and Switzz says I need 220mm!
Bracket for midmotor: 120mm

So I bought the Fatbike kit from www.future-bike.it

500 W option with 120mm bracket
Protection cage for motor
48V 17Ah battery in bottle form which can be removed
Race Control Display type VLCD6
Metal Gearings as standard
Speed sensor
42T with 10mm offset (installed this one)
42T standard
32T race torque thing I will never use...

Maxspeed is around 40km/h, than I pedal so fast the motor stops assisting...
I can really climb hard with this bike! So far one big LOVE for this built!
I did a test ride on a 18km technical, steep short climbing MTB track in The Netherlands and it was awesome!

Installation took some time to figure it all out and some issues:
-Battery could only be mounted upside down on two M5 bolts (so far no problems, but double check to lock the battery before riding)
-Speedsensor did not work but found some strong neodymium magnets which fixed the distance problem
-Motor would rest on a part sticking out from the motor on the left so I bought a wedge to fit in the middle
-The bolt which should fit on top did not fit because of the big diameter of my frame. I just did not use it....

Pictures!

2a9phsn.jpg

102mn8w.jpg

15s60oy.jpg

2ahtd76.jpg

Thanks for all support!

The only issue is still that I'm wondering if the motor doesn't lean too much on the edge of the frame / is able to move because I could not install the top bolt because of the big frame.

Hi, it is likely the blue gear has failed however I have yet to experience that so perhaps someone else can help id the issue. You should probably replace it with a brass gear considering that you trashed it so quickly though. ;)

The reason why you are pedaling faster than the motor can assist is because you went with the 48v battery. If you had gone with the 52v battery then the assist would be helping out when you pedal about 10% faster than it is now. Some users have modified their engine and replaced the 48v motor winding with a 36v one (just the $90US electrical motor) and when that is used with a 48v battery and 48v controller it will assist at maybe 30% faster speeds.

I have been hoping to run a slightly undercharged 15s battery (56v) in mine at 62v max in the future. Since I have the 48v motor winding and 48v controller a 56v battery should raise the assist rpms 15-20% over a 48v battery.

Still going strong! Actually nothing broke really, it was the chain making problems. It was a little loose and would jump off, so I made it a little tighter.

420km on the road and I'm loving it. :)

Back