LMX 161 pre-wired base kit

mxs

10 W
Hi all,

I have a question regarding doing my own LMX base kit bike .... I already sold my gas dirt bike, so I am considering whether to buy a complete bike, like LMX 161, Kuberg Freerider or Sur-Ron .... or just have fun building it too and rather getting LMX 1614 base kit.

I am mechanically inclined with garage, tools and time, so from that perspective I like the idea very much.

But how hard it is to get, mainly the right front end components. I want a good fork with a good support for rebuild in North America (I hear RST is not directly supported anymore in USA or Canada?) The difference in LMX price between the kit and complete bike is about 2300 CAD ... is this even realistic to get a good quality front end, including complete wheel top triple and handlebars for this sort of money? What are the on-line retailers you guys use for something like that.

I don't mind going used off ebay or with a good quality rebuilt stuff, but that opens up a different set of challenges, right?

Thanks for chiming in.

If you want to build an LMX its a good decision.

USer BrummBrumm has allready a topic.

pretty sure he will help you since he is one of the guys that build it from scratch.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=94074

I actually watched all his videos. It was very helpful to get an idea how the frame looks like and gave details I otherwise would not know.

But, if I am going with a kit, I am going the pre-wired with controller, motor and battery, so I have to deal only with the complete front end and brakes. The mechanical bits, not electrical stuff. I don't mind, but there's no way I can make it better or cheaper, period.

If you guys buy new components for the front end, where do you guys shop, so I can get an idea what a decent suspension bits and brakes cost? Must be US or Canada.

I spent some time on a Kuberg bike with Manitou Dorado Expert fork and liked it a lot. It was like a magic carpet to me. I think it had DNM burner 2CP or something like that in the back and Tektro Auriga brakes. worked well too. I had no complaints whatsoever. So I am wondering are these components considered middle class when compared let say RTS Killah and TRP Zurich. I had a bike with RST and it blew rebound circuit on me, and was hard to get parts for me. I heard that they don't have US DC support anymore? Looking at the RST Killah price vs. Dorado, yes, it looks like it's half the money, so Dorado should be much better in every way, correct?

Yep, it seems like I am right now set on the Dorado. Either expert or Pro, not huge price difference and identical internals. But it seems, for some reason very hard to get online in US or Canada... Which is puzzling, since it is US company, eh?

mxs said:
Yep, it seems like I am right now set on the Dorado. Either expert or Pro, not huge price difference and identical internals. But it seems, for some reason very hard to get online in US or Canada... Which is puzzling, since it is US company, eh?

Ya i cheaped out and got the DNM fork for my kuberg because it was half the price of the dorado, now im regretting it. Dnm leaks air and im not 100% happy with its performance...looks pretty tho

I usually see a dorado on ebay but they are out of country. I would buy it anywhere you can use paypal so if its not legit youll get your money back.

Yep, I have done plenty of bad decisions with dirt bikes as far forks. I swore that this bike needs to get the right bits within 1000C$. Plus it needs to be rebuild able with easily found support. I am just puzzled that all online links lead to Taiwan or Australia... Nothing in US.

BTW, how did you end up with something else than Dorado, as the Freerider ships with Dorado Expert?

mxs said:
Yep, I have done plenty of bad decisions with dirt bikes as far forks. I swore that this bike needs to get the right bits within 1000C$. Plus it needs to be rebuild able with easily found support. I am just puzzled that all online links lead to Taiwan or Australia... Nothing in US.

BTW, how did you end up with something else than Dorado, as the Freerider ships with Dorado Expert?

he got just the freerider frame and built the bike from there ..
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=90187

Oh, I see... Now I remember reading the thread some time ago.

mxs said:
Oh, I see... Now I remember reading the thread some time ago.

Hi there, i've only just stumbled upon this thread. As well as having an lmx161 i also have another high end self built ebike which has dorado expert forks. My lmx has fairly cheap Rockshox domain forks which are equal to the rst killah and i would love to upgrade them along with the rear shock.
Dorado forks are really smooth and plush and are much higher quality in action than the rockshox domain.
Manitou is owned by Hayes Components so you could try contacting Hayes in the U.S about finding a retailer. In fact being in the states means you get a free full service with dorado forks within the first twelve months unlike those of us in europe or U.K. Spare parts are also much easier to source.
The only difference between the expert and pro is the machining finish to the crowns.
As for my rockshox domains, i use them because they were sitting unused on my garage wall and were not a choice option. The rear shock i use is a dnm rcp3. It was cheap from China. I am currently looking at replacing both the rear shock and front forks. They are ok to get started but i cannot recommend them.
My other bike with the dorado forks and Fox dhx rc4 rear shock is a much more natural, smooth gliding ride. I will be upgrading the lmx when funds allow,, but i am still trying to payoff my credit card from the lmx build...lol
The rear shock is 240mm eye to eye in length which is quite long and not the most common size used on mountain bikes so keep an eye out for clearance items on web shops. I just found a half price Cane creek double barrel shock with spring and bushings included for half price... Though my spending is on hold at present :roll:

To be honest i dont know why so many on this site promote the DNM suspension stuff as it is crap :lol:

Thanks.

I personally am done with cheap forks and rears shocks. It always comes back to bite me.

BTW, I know the retailers and a shops which can order Dorado, but not at a price I like. I guess there must be sime Hayes policy, that this fork is only available on eBay, instead of at many online retailers.

Anyway, seems to be pointless, because the LMX boys have currently some supply issues with their frames, so no kits.

mxs said:
Thanks.

I personally am done with cheap forks and rears shocks. It always comes back to bite me.

BTW, I know the retailers and a shops which can order Dorado, but not at a price I like. I guess there must be sime Hayes policy, that this fork is only available on eBay, instead of at many online retailers.

Anyway, seems to be pointless, because the LMX boys have currently some supply issues with their frames, so no kits.

Yes, i think i got lucky with my kit. There's another forum user i speak with frequently on here and he tried to order same as me only a week later and they told him there were none left, and that they were concentrating on the full bikes only at present. I assume this was from their previous crowd funding when giving big discount on 'moped legal' 161

Back