Conversion requires hub motor to run reverse rotation

Wanatow18

1 µW
I am waning to convert my 26" GTit1 (internal transmission) MTB to electric using a rear hub motor that requires a fixed drive sprocket on the L/H side of the hub (as the freewheel is located at the other end on the internal transmission) and has a brake disk mounted on the R/H side. I think this can work by running a suitable hub motor in reverse rotation (possibly reverse polarity ?) but I want to find out if anyone has done this, what is possible or what hub motor/kits would be suitable ? Ideally I am wanting a fairly powerful setup for long distance trail riding with a battery pack that mounts under the frame, must be a through axle type hub.

Making the motor run backwards is easy, just switch 2 of the 3 phase wires around then figure out the corresponding hall sensor wiring by a bit of trial and error.

The problem comes if you want to be able to pedal it, as the freewheel mount threads will be the wrong way. There are probably solutions to this. There are ways to mount sprockets to the disc mount, but I don't know about the other way around.

Back