27.5 plus mid drive

Lenk42602

10 kW
Haven't put a build thread up in a while.

Targeted goals:
2kw power ,
Battery pack 40a continuous capable
26 miles range minimum,
Total bike weight(including batteries) of 65 pounds max.
Completely water/weather proof
Multi surface/condition capable
Feels like a bicycle

Was looking at purchasing a turn key mid drive bike but the Power Output/$ just didnt make any sense. Bike's assembled and waiting on brakes. Fabbed the battery mounts. Battery is en route. I'll be fabbing a steel enclosure for it.

Bike's completely built. Brakes and shifter all set up, probably ride to work a few times to get the bicycle bits sorted. Weighs in a 30.5 pounds as pictured with pedals, 2.8 tires, thru axles, and the main triangle brackets attached for mounting the battery enclosure.

KIMG0441.jpg

here's a shot of one of the brackets - its 3/32 steel that clamps around the tube, 3/16 tabs welded to it that will receive the battery enclosure. Using ABA hose clamps to draw up the brackets against the tubing.

KIMG0442.jpg

viva la hose clamps! circa 2007..... coming full circle...
brick shit house.png

battery should be here before the drive system. next up is documenting the battery enclosure.

Just wanted to add, really thought hard about buying a nice specialized or BH Easy Motion type pedelec - although those bikes are extremely well integrated from a design perspective, they just lack the oomph/dollar i need to stay interested in an ebike... Interested to see how the battery and drive unit for this project will compare.

Started tacking up the enclosure this morning. Using 1/2 square and 1/2 round tube. found some gussets in my scrap pile left over from a different project I''ll be using for holding the battery pack securely.

em3evpack enclosure 1.jpg
View attachment 1
em3evpack enclosure 3.jpg

Ran out of mig gas, so I will probably get back to it monday

corner gussets made. cleaned up battery frame. need to drill and tap for corner plate m5 attachment screws.

KIMG0482.jpg

KIMG0483.jpg

It is a nice and sturdy battery compartment build !
And what size is your EM3EV battery ? ...S...P ?

Have not seen any motor you are using with your kit. Hub or mid-drive ?

My 27.5 hardtail does not have a big triangle space like yours, so the 14s7p pack is needed to be squeezed into that tight space with dense plastic cell holders. Airflow might not be perfect.

mock up. 63t ring set up is tight enough to not need the tensioner.

KIMG0602.jpg

KIMG0603.jpg

gotta do better than that strap securing the motor brackets to the down tube. Going to fab up a bracket that captures an unused H2O bolt and tie it to some unused holes on each bracket face.

motor is installed. chain line is pretty good right now, may have to move the chain side spacer to the non drive side. made a motor strap like the Tangent drive solution.

KIMG0604.jpg

not a fan of the clamps, but those hydroformed tubes have really odd shape/taper to them.

CNC'ing clamps would be a huge effort.

battery is getting charged.

KIMG0605.jpg

gotta clean up some wires and then mount the speedo sensor. should be up and running in a few days!

Len

Bike's all finished, ready for a test ride. Might commute in to work Tuesday.

Total bike weight - 56.5 pounds

first impressions of kit -

well built/executed, great attention to detail with this, everything fits, chainline is good after first set up, I can tweak it if need be by adjusting the spacers at the bb shell, freewheel on crankset has a little run out (visual) but nothing excessive.

Really digging the display.

I will get into the settings via app tomorrow.

KIMG0606.jpg
KIMG0607.jpg
KIMG0608.jpg
KIMG0609.jpg
KIMG0610.jpg

Nice battery mount! Where did you get that? I had a similar triangle pack, but couldn't figure out a nice way to mount it. Using a triangle bag seemed janky.

Great build and thanks for sharing. Very nice mix of power with low weight and a touch of hand crafted design. The floating triangle battery imbues a lightness to the asthetic.

first run up and down the street. didnt bother playing with the settings, just jumped on it and hit the throttle.

Oh yeah :p

power! downloading the app now top start tweaking.
KIMG0612.jpg
KIMG0613.jpg

Back