Insanity V3

Vortecks

100 mW
Hi guys,

Seeing as I learnt so much from various posts in here, I thought I'd start sharing my build videos with you. It's still very much development in progress and it'll be a winter build. Hopefully, it'll be ready for the spring :D

[youtube]w65AyVLPWdg[/youtube]
[youtube]8I1-pEfF9Ss[/youtube]
[youtube]eb13r_9mujM[/youtube]
[youtube]dSncYA35Gqc[/youtube]
[youtube]V4YNvzhkUd8[/youtube]
[youtube]PMVL0447KPU[/youtube]
[youtube]BO97GGI5CZY[/youtube]
[youtube]FvoJ7or9nDI[/youtube]
[youtube]p9BeijQuAjs[/youtube]
[youtube]_UN6xSu9nTA[/youtube]
[youtube]pO3XLFSjewM[/youtube]
[youtube]jMpUJN787l4[/youtube]
[youtube]VfyORM8VAn4[/youtube]
[youtube]lySjBzj_To0[/youtube]
[youtube]XAvCrv11Yko[/youtube]
[youtube]POLg2wVMIag[/youtube]
[youtube]f3zS3IlYn-c[/youtube]
[youtube]WYkFuEQynp0[/youtube]
[youtube]9DifiRAE1J4[/youtube]
[youtube]trpXl6oc9K4[/youtube]

Vortecks! I've been watching your videos; very entertaining and I love seeing your serious electric commute. Its never a dull moment. I haven't caught up to the two videos you've linked here; but I'm getting there. I'm excited to see v3 come together and anxious to see a new pack with those 26650 cells you posted a while back.

Take care 8)

Love your sense of humor in your videos! If not mistaken you have done some awesome work with a BMS app? I would love to get your app, just need to know what BMS’s work with your app?

I grabbed a pile of Black Liitokala 26650’s soley based on what you and Andy Kirby have been up to.

Thanks for your contributions, I really enjoy your work sir!

pwd said:
Vortecks! I've been watching your videos; very entertaining and I love seeing your serious electric commute. Its never a dull moment. I haven't caught up to the two videos you've linked here; but I'm getting there. I'm excited to see v3 come together and anxious to see a new pack with those 26650 cells you posted a while back.

Take care 8)

Thank you, that means a lot to me :D
I've ordered some more of the 26650 cells because there have been a couple of people complaining that they're not giving the full capacity so I thought I'd better do some more tests on a different batch.....Fingers crossed!

Gstegman said:
Love your sense of humor in your videos! If not mistaken you have done some awesome work with a BMS app? I would love to get your app, just need to know what BMS’s work with your app?

I grabbed a pile of Black Liitokala 26650’s soley based on what you and Andy Kirby have been up to.

Thanks for your contributions, I really enjoy your work sir!

Yes, it was me who did the app. Andy still hasn't discovered the full potential of it yet and I've got some big plans to expand it too.
The BMS can be bought from Andy https://www.cloudsto.com/ebikes/smart-bms-8-24s-for-vbms-detail.html or directly from China https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Sma...S-Coulomb-Meter-Lithium-iron/32827394534.html
The Chinese manufacturers are using an old version of my app and I've got no idea how they got it. The new version does a lot more and I'll be expanding it in the near future - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vortecks.vbms&hl=en_GB

Thank you for the link and again thank you for the videos. Very nice work.

I am a software guy who was once given the chance to work in China on a mobile supply chain application. I consulted with some folks I trust and they provided a number of examples of IP theft. From fighter jets to BMS's, to the Chinese it seems everything is open source!

Your App on Andy's video's looked amazing. I am enjoying your most recent build thread as well.

Hi Tony.

Great videos...I've been watching them for a while.
I've had the same bluetooth BMS for a while but only just got your app over the weekend.
It's Awesome! Keep up the great work :bigthumb:

Jonno

Jonno said:
Hi Tony.

Great videos...I've been watching them for a while.
I've had the same bluetooth BMS for a while but only just got your app over the weekend.
It's Awesome! Keep up the great work :bigthumb:

Jonno

Cheers Jonno, this is far better than YT comments because I can see where people are from :D
I've been thinking about a forum of some kind with suggestions on how to improve the app. I've already tapped into the Sabvoton to get things like the motor temp, controller temp etc. but it's going to be a nightmare to get both displaying at once. I'll get there somehow :)

Tony, I am already following on Youtube.

I am curious how V3 turns out an already like the base of your build ! :thumb:
Short question: Will V3 share a similar 3D-printed battery compartment for those Litokala (or how they were called) cells ?
BTW: Cool to see you and Andy somewhat teaming up on your build projects. Both on the battery side as well as for the BMS.

I really like your BMS app but for my exchangeable 10s5p packs inside a Topeak DX bag there is not really space for such a BMS....sadly....

Oh man, I must sound like a fanboy..... :lol:

HolgiB said:
Will V3 share a similar 3D-printed battery compartment for those Litokala (or how they were called) cells ?

All will be revealed tomorrow :wink:

Tony, Just watched your last video. I wonder if you considered widening the amo can rather than trimming it down? I was thinking if it was wide enough for cells on both sides of the bike frame it might work?

Gstegman said:
Tony, Just watched your last video. I wonder if you considered widening the amo can rather than trimming it down? I was thinking if it was wide enough for cells on both sides of the bike frame it might work?

If I could, I would and I'd make the battery much bigger. The trouble is, I still need to peddle (even if it's only for effect) and the can is too wide to get my knees around.

Vortecks said:
All will be revealed tomorrow :wink:
LOL.... .50 BMG ammo boxes as battery compartment. :thumb:

I know that you like do things your way Tony but wouldn't be building boxes from scratch using sheet metal be simpler than modifying the ammo boxes (cutting, welding, powder coating) ?

This involves of cause someone who does the bending of the box parts.

HolgiB said:
I know that you like do things your way Tony but wouldn't be building boxes from scratch using sheet metal be simpler than modifying the ammo boxes (cutting, welding, powder coating) ?

This involves of cause someone who does the bending of the box parts.

The more I think about it, the more appealing it is but where's the fun in that? :D
At work, I have access to all the sheet metal bending equipment, I have access to all the welding equipment and I even have access to a CNC plasma but there's no fun in it. Plus which, I couldn't show people how I did it - it would only be a finished product.

True, it would be less "fun" and people would possibly only see the finished product.
On the other hand a custom build box would leave you the option to adjust the box to the battery layout rather than vice versa.
Also it would be possible to build a more triangular shaped box visually more matching the front triangle rather than the "boxed" style.

But I see the route you are going.

There is possibly nothing more satisfying than saying "No, my battery boxes are build from .50 cal BMG ammo compartments....." :mrgreen:

I was so committed to using the ammo boxes that I made the battery to fit, rather than making a box to fit the battery.
It won't fit in the profile of the triangle part and it will drop slightly lower but I have plans for the overhang - the Sabvoton heat sink is going to be exposed, just below the batteries and a cowling is going to cover all the electronics.

It's a crappy photo but you get the idea :D

Awesome build. Great content in YT via an unvarnished opinion...lol. Been watching your videos (and Andy’s) for some time now. Only wish I started this project a few years ago when I was living in the UK...would of definitely met up with you and Andy for some real world testing of your bikes. But then again...we would not have all the more recent stuff to chat about.

On a side note...does your app support MPH and Fahrenheit for us non EU folks?

Pete

Pb1302 said:
does your app support MPH and Fahrenheit for us non EU folks?

Now there's a thought......
You can select MPH/KMH but not °F/°C.
I'll add it in the next release :thumb:

Vortecks said:
I was so committed to using the ammo boxes that I made the battery to fit, rather than making a box to fit the battery.
Well, as I said: I know that you want to have it your way. :)
If the batteries are already spot welded then simply ignore my idea.

Vortecks said:
It's a crappy photo but you get the idea :D
I have uploaded much crappier photos myself. :wink:
But yes....I get the idea ! I am curious how the final product looks and follow you here as well as on Youtube.

Hey Tony, I'm about halfway through the battery video and heard you want to chop a .50 cal ammo can. Would a .30 cal ammo can work instead of chopping a .50?

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Mil-Spec-Ammo-Can/1611284.uts

The .30 cal is the same as the British 7.82mm. I already bought 2 of them because I thought it would work...... If they were 1/2" taller, they would be perfect for 60 cells but I can't close the lid :(

I just watched your V3 videos.

Mostly because I'm interested in the BMS you use...

Any way, I think the ammo can is cool but I don't see how you'll be able to make a good seal if you mess with the lid.

Alternatively, you might consider running it sideways so the latch is on the side and cut the base to make a slot that straddles your top tube. While you are at it you could deepen the base to fit half your pack on either side, then weld it all up leaving the gasket seal surfaces intact.

If the latch on one side bothers you, the really old .50 cans had latches on the long side which when rotated would put the latch on the back, thus keeping it away from your knees.

Going that route will allow you to fit all your cells and BMS and it will still be cool.

By the way, I'm probably going to order that BMS from China and I saw your remarks about the extended Bluetooth module and would like to know if there is anything special I should order?

Smoke said:
I just watched your V3 videos.

Mostly because I'm interested in the BMS you use...

Any way, I think the ammo can is cool but I don't see how you'll be able to make a good seal if you mess with the lid.

Alternatively, you might consider running it sideways so the latch is on the side and cut the base to make a slot that straddles your top tube. While you are at it you could deepen the base to fit half your pack on either side, then weld it all up leaving the gasket seal surfaces intact.

If the latch on one side bothers you, the really old .50 cans had latches on the long side which when rotated would put the latch on the back, thus keeping it away from your knees.

Going that route will allow you to fit all your cells and BMS and it will still be cool.

Nothing is set in stone yet but I'm rather a good fabricator so I know I can come up with something which will seal.

Smoke said:
By the way, I'm probably going to order that BMS from China and I saw your remarks about the extended Bluetooth module and would like to know if there is anything special I should order?

There's nothing special to order - My extended bluetooth was a preference thing. I decided to move it for 2 reasons:
1. Because it was enclosed, I couldn't tell whether if was on or off.
2. I'm the only one who gets faulty things from China. Apparently, I had one of the first versions with a somewhat temperamental bluetooth module and it broke so I had to replace it.

I'll probably do it with another one, seeing as it'll be encased in a steel box. An instruction video might be helpful to other people too.

I ordered the BMS.

Now I just have to wait for my nickel strip, XT90s, batteries and BMS to arrive and figure out how I'm going to spot weld them.

I was hoping to find a geek with a spot welder I could borrow, no luck so far but I haven't looked terribly hard.

I am looking forward to using your app.

Back