Cyclone Powered Dyno Board Tracker

stu-urns

1 mW
Around December 2017 I bought a Dyno Ultra-Glide, and spent most of 2018 putting together board tracker with a Cyclone 3000w kit. I cover the build in detail in my blog, but I’d thought I’d share a few pics with the endless-sphere community.

There's a few cheeky mods in there (disc brakes, custom battery box, cool headlight, etc).

Endless-sphere has been an amazing resource during this build, feel free to ask me any questions :)

View attachment 1

Mostly full diatribe is available at www.borderline.co.nz

Great looking bike very tidy build :thumb: whats the cyclone like? i used to have a dual 1200w build 50mph max was a fun ride ,i was under the understanding that all the cyclon motors were reasonable long but yours looks quite tidy

The Cyclone rips, especially after I put it in "fast mode"!
It's got a really strong battery - a 52V 14S7P battery made out of 18650 cells. According to the BMS it pulls around 55 - 60 amps, almost 3000W! I just run it single speed, heaps of torque and runs around 55km/h. I'll post a few pics of the build below...

Some build photos:

Donor bike:

donor_bike.jpg

Custom disc Brake conversion adapters. My buddy Jeremy pretty much did the whole lots. He's a great mechanical engineer.

disc_brake.jpg

jeremy_design_disk_brake.jpg

jeremy_cnc_disk_brake.jpg

Battery pack:

Sizing up pack:

outline.jpg

Jeremy designed and manufactured a battery housing out of gib laminate, cut on a water-jet cutter.

laminates.jpg

View attachment 2

This was painted with two tone "pearl" car paint. Came up a pretty close match to the bike.

painted lid.jpg

Jeremy designed and fabricated a stainless steel mounting plate. Clamps from Pacific Customs were then fixed to the plate.

mounting_plate.jpg

I welded a 14S7P 18650GA pack together. It only just squeezed in the box. A bit of sanding and dremmeling was required (not pictured)

batteries_welded.jpg

batteries_welded_and_packed.jpg

I stuffed the controller and fuse in the gas tank:

View attachment 1

View attachment 1

Used some cable management stuff for the wires between the tank, battery, and motor. I think it kinda adds to the look.

cable_management.JPG

Attachments

• gas_tank.jpg
    gas_tank.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 917
I designed a bracket to hold the Cyclone motor in place. This was fabricated a local machine shop. Quick and easy! Got the clamp from Pacific Customs.

Mocked in cardboard first:
cardboard_small.jpg

In stainless:
stainless_bracket_small.jpg

It holds the motor pretty good!

I'm pretty happy with the bike at the moment, maybe one thing I'll do is spray/anodise all the stainless and aluminium parts black. I feel like the disc brake adapters and motor mount stick out a bit. Thoughts?

Great job; did you have any problems with the chainline? Also die you need to use the funky large hose clamp (it's in one picture, but not another)? I would anodize all the aluminum parts either black or to match the frame.

Nah no problems with the chainline. The box was mounted slightly offset to give the chain more room to rattle from side to side.

clearance.jpg

I'm not using the funky large hose clamp anymore - the stainless bracket does a much better job of keeping the motor from jerking all over the place. Good feedback re: anodising. I think black would be easiest to colour match.

Back