China's new electric "straddling bus"

General Discussion about electric vehicles.
spinningmagnets
100 GW
100 GW

China's new electric "straddling bus"

Post by spinningmagnets » Tue May 24, 2016 2:57 pm

I think this is a clever option. It looks a little slow, but when there is a traffic jam, it just keeps chuggin along. Cheaper than building an elevated mono rail. The positive and negative leads (steel wheels?) are widely spread. The graphic looks like CGI, but the youtube in the link seems real.

http://www.citylab.com/tech/2016/05/can ... ty/483953/

Lurkin
100 kW
100 kW

Re: China's new electric "straddling bus"

Post by Lurkin » Tue May 24, 2016 3:47 pm

Cool idea. Bus or tram?

Either way, major improvement on the trams here, which everyone including cyclists and motor vehicles, must stop for!

Wonder what happens when there is a crash underneath...

cal3thousand
10 GW
10 GW

Post by cal3thousand » Tue May 24, 2016 4:05 pm

How about moving covered sidewalks everywhere instead!
Get a Cycle Analyst and a Multimeter, you're still a noob if you don't have at least one of each.

Planning on posting questions or buying anything on this site? Put up your country (at minimum) on your profile. This is a worldwide forum and we haven't reached clairvoyance.

amberwolf
100 GW
100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Wed May 25, 2016 1:40 am

spinningmagnets wrote: The graphic looks like CGI, but the youtube in the link seems real.
It's a scale model. if you look at the trees and "grass" and reflections and such the scale shows as pretty small (same way that stuff in UFO and Thunderbirds and stuff like that, despite looking quite real in some cases, still wasn't quite "right" to the eye).

The still image stuff is definitely CGI, probably overlaid on a real photo. Can tell easily from the "glow" of various surfaces, which is commonly used to emulate various indirect lighting reflections when CPU time or rendering time is too valuable to waste on realistic lighting simulation.

gogo
100 MW
100 MW

Post by gogo » Wed May 25, 2016 8:26 am

Door-to-door self driving vehicles using existing infrastructure seem more likely.
Abstract: Bicycling can be promoted by proper infrastructure design. However, much of the urban
developed world is burdened by decades of automobile-based design. Changing the infrastructure is a
major undertaking. A more realistic approach may be to change the bicycle.
http://www.enviroteach.com/Self-Drive_Trike.pdf
"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking." -Steven Wright

markz
10 GW
10 GW

Post by markz » Fri May 27, 2016 4:40 pm

Awesome idea, but what about big rigs, it would need to be higher ~14' then there is moving all the utility lines higher, and changing poles. Its probably too wild for North America to build and for society to accept.

lester12483
100 kW
100 kW

Post by lester12483 » Sun May 29, 2016 10:24 am

That would never work in the USA. Too many crazy drivers would run into it.
MT6 Hybrid- Electric Bicycle 48V
48V 13AH AllCell Lithium Manganese Battery Pack
http://www.chicagoelectricbicycles.com

1JohnFoster
100 W
100 W

Post by 1JohnFoster » Sun May 29, 2016 11:10 am

lester12483 wrote:That would never work in the USA. Too many crazy drivers would run into it.
And controlling traffic to prevent trucks from ever getting on those dedicated highways would be quite a trick. The whole thing does look pretty workable from this veiwpoint though;
Straddling bus model.jpg
Straddling bus model.jpg (183.79 KiB) Viewed 804 times
I like the "hoovering up cars" image. The only problem I see is that the cars still come out the back end. :(

Once self-driving cars are the law, people will be completely bored of car ownership. There will be so much demand for high speed comfy buses in dedicated lanes that cars will become the exclusive domain of Jay Leno. Jay will collect one each of everything worth collecting and all the others will be recycled into buses.

Chalo
100 GW
100 GW

Post by Chalo » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:54 am

It looks like the Chinese can be as American as anybody, at least in terms of their business methods:

http://fortune.com/2017/07/04/straddlin ... tment-scam
This is to express my gratitude to Justin of Grin Technologies for his extraordinary measures to save this forum for the benefit of all.

markz
10 GW
10 GW

Post by markz » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:42 pm

Chalo wrote:It looks like the Chinese can be as American as anybody, at least in terms of their business methods:

http://fortune.com/2017/07/04/straddlin ... tment-scam
They do not frock around, taint some babies drink with toxic shit, Execs die.

Hillhater
100 GW
100 GW

Post by Hillhater » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:56 am

I was surprised that it even got beyond the " back of the Napkin" ..(or the chinese equivalent) !
..let alone attract enough funding to get to a trial. :roll:
This forum owes its existence to Justin of ebikes.ca

kiwiev
100 kW
100 kW

Post by kiwiev » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:56 am

lester12483 wrote:That would never work in the USA. Too many crazy drivers would run into it.
Yeah but think what the fast and the furious would do with one :D

Cheers Kiwi

Kneelb4ZOD
1 W
1 W

Post by Kneelb4ZOD » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:48 pm

It's incredible how many people were fooled by such a terrible idea on so many 'levels', I bet it would look cool driving on some solar frickin' roadways though.
__THE__
➰➰➰➰➰

kiwiev
100 kW
100 kW

Post by kiwiev » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:14 am

Yeah what ever happened to solar pavment roadways its a great concept but I guess like all great ideas they need $$$

Cheers Kiwi

Kneelb4ZOD
1 W
1 W

Post by Kneelb4ZOD » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:29 am

kiwiev wrote:Yeah what ever happened to solar pavment roadways its a great concept but I guess like all great ideas they need $$$

Cheers Kiwi
Another scam, basically. LEDs not visible in daylight, barely produced any power due to the thick glass and inefficient positioning... They eventually built a small installation somewhere and it kept breaking down and produced something like a dollar of electricity in total. Over-promised vaporware that they bilked people and the government out of millions for. Like all good fundraising scams, it sounds great until you start looking at the details.
__THE__
➰➰➰➰➰

billvon
10 kW
10 kW

Post by billvon » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:48 am

kiwiev wrote:Yeah what ever happened to solar pavment roadways its a great concept but I guess like all great ideas they need $$$
Didn't work. Problems like heavy people, dirt and water combined to make it impractical.

If you want to use roadways to generate power, put solar canopies over them. The hardware exists right now, it's easy to maintain, and it promotes safety (keep sun glare, rain, snow and ice off roads.)
--bill von

kiwiev
100 kW
100 kW

Post by kiwiev » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:18 pm

billvon wrote:
Didn't work. Problems like heavy people, dirt and water combined to make it impractical.

If you want to use roadways to generate power, put solar canopies over them. The hardware exists right now, it's easy to maintain, and it promotes safety (keep sun glare, rain, snow and ice off roads.)
Great idea, I wish they would do it here on shopping mall carparks would be great in the summer and few plug in points wouldn't go astray either.

Cheers Kiwif

amberwolf
100 GW
100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:06 am

kiwiev wrote:
If you want to use roadways to generate power, put solar canopies over them.
Great idea, I wish they would do it here on shopping mall carparks would be great in the summer and few plug in points wouldn't go astray either.
Several places around here have the panel canopies--a couple of walmarts, a school or two, some of the bus / rail transit stations, etc. I think some are beginning to put in plugins too, but there's usually only one, sometimes two.