Wisper hub motor disassembly

Jimmyf

100 µW
Hi, newbie here. I wonder if anyone can tell me how to disassemble this hub motor. It's from a 2011 Wisper 705SE ebike. 36 volt, 350 watt sensorless. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

It would appear that the notches are used w/ a special tool to unscrew the cover. On my MXUS geared motor, the cover unscrewed normal, that is to say, anti-clockwise.

That basically looks like a smaller version of my Fusin motor,
file.php

file.php

shown opened up here:

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=39877&start=75#p1328934

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=80951&p=1328892

which I built a tool to open up out of some old bike frame parts. Mine was splined rather than the four notches, so yours would be easier to build the tool for.

Assuming theyre made by the same people, the same way, then you take all the axle hardware off both sides, then use whatever tool you make to engage those four little indentations around the axle area on the non-brake side cover to rotate the cover counterclockwise, IIRC. (might say in the link above, but I dont remember for sure which way I had to spin mine).

Fusinmotors the company disappeared, but they may ahve made the motors for stuff like your bike before then, or whoever made the motors made them for both companies. Either way, Id bet the same place made them all, because even the font of the writing on teh covers is the same. ;)

motomech said:
It would appear that the notches are used w/ a special tool to unscrew the cover. On my MXUS geared motor, the cover unscrewed normal, that is to say, anti-clockwise.

Thanks a lot Amberwolf and motomech for your help. I wish I had found this forum much earlier. I've been fooling around with this bike for the past month and had finally almost given up. I'll make a tool when I get some time and try unscrewing the cover. Will keep you posted when I do open it up. Thanks again.

One technique I've seen used would be to mount 4 homemade "fingers"(that fit the notches) to a 4' X 4' X 3/4" piece of plywood and use the wheel to apply the torque(standing on the plywood). The MXUS has 3 "holes" and one guy used bolts fastened to the plywood by "double nutting"(one on top and one on the bottom and using big flat washers. Not sure what you could use instead of bolts.
I can't tell if that is a frt. or rear motor, but in general, the frt.s come apart much easier. The free whl. on the rear tends to tighten the cover when the rider pedals.
The other thing is, a machine shop could whip up a tool real quick. It doesn't have to be pretty, cut the basic wrench shape out of flat plate, weld on the four lugs and cut the center out for axle clearance.
BTW, what is the problem that you want to take it apart?

Jimmyf said:
TI wish I had found this forum much earlier.

I myself wish I would have found this forum earlier myself, as I Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:38 pm
If I would have gotten here back in 2001 and went ahead with my motorization of a bicycle plans which I clearly remember doing. I mocked up a gas engine out of cardboard but was perplexed on how to mount a Princess Auto Honda clone (Power Fist) like USA's Harbour Freight motors) and get it operating. Dont know if the gasser forums were on the web back then, probably.

e-biking brings a smile to my face everyday and I ride year round, in the winter with snow and ice. What I love about electricity is the silence. I can ride in parks, on pathways and no one knows any different. Do some fake pedaling and no one knows. One thing about this "hobby" is DO NOT $KIMP whether thats battery chargers, or the battery itself, or the tools (Digital Multi-Meter, Puller, ebike freewheel remover, soldering iron etc). Also dont wait, do not procrastinate, the sooner you are riding with electricity the happier we are.

Unfortunately, I haven't succeeded in getting it open yet. Made a wood and bolts tool, but the wood splintered and broke up.
Next I used a steel pipe threaded coupling, welded a handle and 4 lugs to it, lightly screwed in the axle nut with some washers to hold tool in place and used a hammer to bang on the handle in anti clockwise direction. No luck. I beat the sh*t out of it until the lugs broke off and the slots are slightly damaged. I think it's either really tightly screwed in or has left hand threads.
I want to open it because I suspect some gear is broken as it makes a sound like motor is running but the wheel does not turn.
Again, thanks for the suggestions everyone. If I do open it up, I will update y'all.

Jimmyf said:
I want to open it because I suspect some gear is broken as it makes a sound like motor is running but the wheel does not turn.

Swap any pair of phase wires and see if it spins the right direction.

You might be able to make a tool by taking a metal plate and drilling 4 holes that line up with the notches and a big hole in the middle, then use screws in the 4 holes that fit into the notches. A little penetrating oil and heat won't hurt either. The motor may be corroded and hard to unscrew.

[/quote]

Swap any pair of phase wires and see if it spins the right direction.
[/quote]

Wheel Doesn't spin at all but sounds like the motor is spinning inside the hub. That seems to suggest that the sun or planetary gears may be broken.

fechter said:
You might be able to make a tool by taking a metal plate and drilling 4 holes that line up with the notches and a big hole in the middle, then use screws in the 4 holes that fit into the notches. A little penetrating oil and heat won't hurt either. The motor may be corroded and hard to unscrew.

I'm trying to make a tool with a piece of steel pipe now by cutting and filing off one end leaving 4 lugs. Just wondering whether I should try turning it clockwise to unscrew.

Jimmyf said:
Wheel Doesn't spin at all but sounds like the motor is spinning inside the hub. That seems to suggest that the sun or planetary gears may be broken.
It will also do that if it is spinning the wrong direction, because it won't engage the clutch, and thus won't spin the wheel.

Tried swapping wires but no luck. Also I made the tool but try as I may, couldn't get it to open. Even tried using the tool with an impact wrench but found I'm just damaging things. I finally gave up and gave the bike away. :x
Thanks everybody for helping me try. At least I learned something of tool making in the process. :wink:

Back