The economics of scooter rentals.

I keep sayin' this... MY first experiences w/electric assist near 20 years ago was with a two-wheeled standup electric scooter...
photo_zps07a0eba6.jpg

... over many thousands of miles of crumbling urban infrastructure... but this was on "proper" 12" pneumatic rubber tires w/inner tubes. So suggest your biggest budget component is to pay for insurance. To allow for "stupid human tricks" and newbs unfamiliar w/the higher torques of smaller diameter wheels over sloppy pavements. :wink:

EDIT: Alternatively, just have customers sign a form that includes "THESE VEHICLES ARE DANGEROUS". :mrgreen:

All I can think about at the mometnt is "Keep the rubber side down and Happy New Year!"

WESTCHESTER (CBSLA) – A police pursuit suspect was wanted for a hit-and-run after crashing into a scooter rider during a wild chase Thursday.

Police began pursuing the suspect in a sedan on Manchester Boulevard in Inglewood around 11:40 a.m.

At one point, the driver slammed into a pedestrian or scooter rider in the Playa del Rey area. They were taken to a hospital with “non-life-threatening injuries,” according to the Los Angeles Fire Department.

The collision left a massive crack in the car’s windshield.

e-beach said:
WESTCHESTER (CBSLA) – A police pursuit suspect was wanted for a hit-and-run after crashing into a scooter rider during a wild chase Thursday.

Police began pursuing the suspect in a sedan on Manchester Boulevard in Inglewood around 11:40 a.m.

At one point, the driver slammed into a pedestrian or scooter rider in the Playa del Rey area. They were taken to a hospital with “non-life-threatening injuries,” according to the Los Angeles Fire Department.

The collision left a massive crack in the car’s windshield.

This is why police car chases are typically discouraged.

The driver kept driving south for 80 miles until his car stopped. He didn't get out of the car for almost an hour. When he did 6 coppers rushed him, but the dog got there first. (yep, they set the K9 on him.) and now they have the first aid kit out to help his bleeding head.

What a way to start a year. Another Los Angeles car chase. :roll:

:D :bolt:

So they say the scooter rider has "non life threatening injuries. The cager was an Iraq war vet. But I got to tell you, riding an electric vehicle around here that is not a car is really hard. :evil:

wide view.JPG
just before impact.JPG
impact.JPG
after hit.JPG
https://abc7.com/people-at-socal-mosque-say-man-in-violent-chase-was-ticking-time-bomb/5017469/

By Miriam Hernandez
Friday, January 04, 2019 09:52PM
INGLEWOOD, Calif. (KABC) --

Veteran in violent SoCal chase has deteriorating mental condition, family says

The man who led police on a perilous three-hour chase had once been a mild-mannered public school teacher, according to an Inglewood neighbor.

The 34-year-old veteran who led police on a perilous three-hour chase on Thursday had once been a mild-mannered public school teacher, according to an Inglewood neighbor.

"He used to love his kids, he used to love his daughter... Very quiet guy, but all of a sudden he started having mental problems," said neighbor Fuad Abdulmalik.

Karl Flores' recklessness was on display during Thursday's chase. At one point, he struck a pedestrian on a scooter and kept going. The victim survived without life-threatening injuries, according to investigators, even though Flores ran over him.

wturber said:
Why the heck was the scooter rider riding in the middle of the street?!?

That is a good question only the scooter rider can answer. Although traffic is relatively mellow in Playa del Rey compared to traffic around most of the L.A. area. If you work for an airline or have a job at LAX or looking for a stop-over place that is close to LAX then it is a place live or stay. Otherwise there are better beach city's to live in around here.

:bolt:

e-beach said:
wturber said:
Why the heck was the scooter rider riding in the middle of the street?!?

That is a good question only the scooter rider can answer. Although traffic is relatively mellow in Playa del Rey compared to traffic around most of the L.A. area. If you work for an airline or have a job at LAX or looking for a stop-over place that is close to LAX then it is a place live or stay. Otherwise there are better beach city's to live in around here.

:bolt:
I didn't realize that was Playa del Rey. My sister lives there. The real estate prices are pretty high. Some folks must really like it... :^)

That's less than a mile away from my sister's house. The guy was in the middle of a 35 mph street and was not keeping to the right. Weird.

neptronix said:
This business model is not for the risk adverse, but it pays handsomely if you can get past the risk part.
I believe that is quote from Evil Knieval

Looks like this one went by brute force....Tweekers and hobos do hang around that shopping mall.

:D :bolt:

Car2Go is like C$0.40/minute, park anywhere and dont have to pay. The small Smart ones are good on ice where others get stuck up a hill they giverrrrr on. Now they got Mercedes Benz four door that are too cramped, while the smart cars are just right for 6'5" 375lbs.

There is the Limebike in Calgary, saw a few waaaay out of the downtown core, not sure how much cash they are lemme check I am interested.

For Lime-S electric scooters and Lime-E electric-assist bikes:
$0.50 to unlock, $0.07 per minute (a 50% discount)
For Lime pedal bikes:
$0.05 for each 30 minutes (more than 95% discount)

Not a bad price I guess for ebike, 10 cents an hour, gotta be a typo, and probably us currency.

neptronix said:
These scooters on average cost 0.15 dollars per minute to operate.

Thing is, what is stopping people from grinding off the battery, or motor.... or for that matter picking the entire bike up and taking it. GPS can be stopped with tin foil, and concrete, so a parkade. Can assume the gps antenna is located in the battery. A dozen wraps, see ya! LOL
The motor is useless, 250W I bet, totally useless!

onemorejoltwarden said:
neptronix said:
This business model is not for the risk adverse, but it pays handsomely if you can get past the risk part.
I believe that is quote from Evil Knieval

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Less about lawsuits and more about what we know already (mostly). Although the "just falling off the scooter" part is a bit bemusing.

Electric-scooter injuries pile up, but making the lawsuits stick is hard
By Janet Lorin
| Bloomberg |
Jan 25, 2019 | 3:45 PM

Over the last few years, cities across America have experienced sudden downpours of shared electric scooters, piling up almost overnight on curbs, sidewalks and frontyards from Los Angeles to Atlanta.

The phenomenon has quickly built billion-dollar startups, a new urban subculture and even a gray market for freelance scooter-chargers. But as with everything new, it also has triggered litigation. And in the case of a transportation mode that leaves riders exceptionally vulnerable to sudden injury, it’s reasonable to expect a lot of those lawsuits.

Now, lawyers have their first trickle of data as they seek to make unlucky pedestrians and injured riders whole. A limited study, the first of its kind, reviewed scooter-related injuries of 249 patients at two Los Angeles-area emergency rooms — Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center in Westwood and UCLA Medical Center in Santa Monica — from September 2017 to August 2018. The report revealed the kinds of injuries one can expect in this brave new world.

The vast majority of the injured were riders as opposed to pedestrians. They averaged about 34 years old, and 58% were male. The study revealed a general lack of operator adherence to traffic laws or warnings by the scooter companies themselves, according to an article published Friday in JAMA Network Open. The scooters can reach 15 mph, and less than 5% of riders were reported to have been wearing helmets.

About 40% of patients had head injuries, and almost 32% suffered broken bones. The study said a significant subset of the injuries occurred in patients younger than 18.

The researchers don’t try to compare your chances of getting killed on or by a scooter versus a car, but rather the physical damage being wrought. And how did these 249 California riders get hurt, exactly? More than 80% just fell off, according to the study :shock: , and 11% hit something.

Paul Steely White, Bird’s director of safety policy and advocacy, criticized the JAMA study as “very limited.” The report “fails to take into account the sheer number of e-scooter trips taken,” he said.

The scooter model is based on an app. Download it, enter your credit card, find a scooter, scan, ride and leave the two-wheeler at your destination. For obvious reasons, college campuses have been especially fertile ground for scooter companies, led by Bird and Lime. Some schools and municipalities have impounded swarms of scooters left strewn about, saying they create hazards and parking headaches. Fed-up locals are setting electric scooters on fire and burying them at sea »

Scooters have already prompted a handful of lawsuits, most notably a proposed class-action suit in California state court against Bird, Lime and other scooter companies alleging gross negligence. The complaint was filed in October on behalf of people injured by scooter users, but not on behalf of any riders. The plaintiffs alleged the scooter companies “knew and/or should have known that their scooters are, would become and would continue to be an unsafe, dangerous and damaging public nuisance.”

Bird pointed the finger at automobiles rather than directly addressing the allegations in the complaint. “At Bird, safety is our very top priority, and it drives our mission to get cars off the road to make cities safer and more livable,” the company said. “Shared e-scooters are already replacing millions of short car trips and the pollution that comes with them.”

Lime spokeswoman Mary Caroline Pruitt said the safety of riders and the community is its “No. 1 priority.” The company said it has distributed 250,000 free helmets “across the globe” and is improving the safety of the scooters themselves.

A recent law passed in California allows adults to operate scooters without helmets. To ride most scooters, users must waive liability, which presents a high bar for a subsequent lawsuit. But that doesn’t mean there won’t be lawyers who try.

“A lot of college kids don’t have cars, so they love these things,” said Catherine Lerer, whose law firm — McGee, Lerer & Associates — filed the class-action suit. “People think it looks so easy.”

But suing scooter companies after liability has been waived is a difficult fight, said Tamara Kurtzman, a litigator based in Beverly Hills. “It’s an extremely uphill battle, which is more disappointing because real people are getting hurt,” she said. “That’s the tragedy in this story.”

Lerer said she’s never met a rider who told her they read an e-scooter user agreement. “I’ve been practicing law for 25 years representing personal injury victims,” she said. “I have never seen these kind of devastating injuries before scooters arrived. That’s just what’s shocking to me.”

In addition to injured pedestrians hit by scooters, some of her clients were hurt simply tripping over scooters left on a sidewalk, she said.

The new study aimed to more fully describe the kind of damage being done. The researchers took great pains to note its limitations. They said they hope that others will build on their work and that policymakers will find it useful as the scooter world expands.

Lorin writes for Bloomberg.

In addition to injured pedestrians hit by scooters, some of her clients were hurt simply tripping over scooters left on a sidewalk, she said.

Really? Injured by a stationary scooter and this is a concern?

As for injuries to pedestrians by people on scooters, I think I'd rather get hit by a scooter rider than by a car. I hope the next study will attempt to evaluate risks relative to other travel options.

Sounds like it's time to finally learn to watch where they step; watch where they are going, pay attention to the world around them.

I know it's very very hard to do, based on what I see every day, but it shouldn't be. It should be the easiest most automatic thing in the world.

But it's not. :/

It's more automatic to sue someone else over one's own inattention than it is to simply pay attention in the first place. :roll:

News media sites currently being flooded with stories about this one "study" just out... EG:
Standing Electric Scooters: Study Shows How You Can Get Injured:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucel...scooters-study-shows-how-you-can-get-injured/

Starts:
Love hurts. So can crashing while riding on a standing electric scooter. Or being hit by such a scooter. Or tripping over such a scooter.

While many people seem to love cruising along on these scooters, a study just published in JAMA Network Open showed how such accidents could wheelie, wheelie hurt and raised questions about whether the risk of riding such scooters is being taken seriously enough.

It would not be surprising if doctors have been seeing more and more scooter injuries. After all, the use of such devices has been rapidly growing since September 2017. That's when Santa Monica, California, was given the Bird.

:roll:

I wouldn't discount the trip hazard. I often see piles of these things laying on the ground in crosswalks, sidewalks and other pedestrian areas.

Not lined up in a row on kick stands, literally strewn about and blocking the path.

I watch my step and haven't tripped over them but the way rider's treat them, they become industrial litter.

It's a problem and no one stepping over a discarded scooter has waived liability for that.

The other issue is that I don't think most scooters are licensed or permitted like a food truck. Food trucks licenses are limited so that they don't use up too much parking space or push brick and mortar restaurants out of business. Scooters use up sidewalk and pedestrian areas, they should be limited for that reason and there should be some sort of compensation for what pedestrians lost. I would hope for that compensation to be funnelled in to open space, bike path or litter/graphiti removal programs.

People might not see this in less urban areas but eventually I think cities will come to the same conclusion and scooter rental rider's will start acting smart and carry a helmet so they might avoid a TBI.

I would be a fan if things worked like they should but it's not there yet.

I'm much more positive on personally owned scooters. People who own don't leave their scooter laying on the ground. Their liability is their own, they are more likely to wear a helmet and they are probably better rider's due to experience.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/nation-world/2019/02/11/florida-woman-sues-lime/

Florida woman sues Lime after scooter accident left her daughter in a vegetative state.

By Peter Holley | The Washington Post

Most days, when Ashanti Jordan’s shift at Broward General Medical Center in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., ended, she got a ride home from co-workers.

But on a sunny day in late December, the outgoing 28-year-old security guard decided she would make the 4-mile journey home on a Lime scooter, one of many littering the city’s streets, according to family members.

Jordan, who was not wearing a helmet at the time, was about halfway home when she collided with a Toyota Corolla at an intersection in a residential area. The collision threw Jordan about 100 feet and left her with broken bones, rib fractures and a catastrophic brain injury, family members say.

Now, more than six weeks after the accident, Jordan remains in a persistent vegetative state and has begun suffering from seizures, forcing doctors to return her to the hospital’s intensive care unit in recent days, family members say.

On Monday, Tracy Jordan, Ashanti’s mother, announced plans to sue Lime — one of the world’s largest electric scooter companies — on her daughter’s behalf for negligence, according to her lawyer, Todd Falzone, a Fort Lauderdale, Fla., personal injury lawyer.

Falzone said Lime’s app includes language that specifically instructs people not to operate scooters on local sidewalks, pushing them onto city streets instead.

Operating a motorized scooter on the street is against the law in Florida and in Fort Lauderdale, though the city does permit e-scooters to be ridden on sidewalks.

Because she followed Lime’s instructions, Falzone said, Jordan avoided the sidewalk and was catastrophically injured.

So I almost became a statistic a little while ago. I was on a sidewalk walking home from lunch and I see some kid on a scooter coming toward me. He was moving fast and swerving, maybe WOT. He wasn't looking forward, he was looking down. I moved to my right but was stopped by a steel barrier used to keep cars out of a parking lot entrance. He also moved to my right, (his left) because he wasn't looking where he was going. He was headed straight for me. That is when I saw what he was looking at. He was unwrapping an ice cream bar! Just as I pressed against the barrier and hollered "Hey!" He got it opened and stuffed it into his mouth while swerving away from me barley missing running into me at a speed..... Stupid ice cream eating scooter riding kid!

:evil: :bolt:

Smoke said:
People might not see this in less urban areas but eventually I think cities will come to the same conclusion and scooter rental rider's will start acting smart and carry a helmet so they might avoid a TBI.

That, if it happens, will probably work like it does for cyclists, with no net benefit. Folks wear a little bit of protection, and then they ride a little stupider and drivers treat them a little more carelessly. And the same number of people get killed or brain-injured. And the helmet makes riding less convenient and less appealing, so more people decide to drive the murder vehicle instead.

But it won't work that way. Dockless scooterists are a more vain and frivolous bunch than cyclists. Most will take an Uber before they wear helmets.

Looks like they might track you home. :shock:

L.A. wants to track your scooter trips. Is it a dangerous precedent?
By Laura J. Nelson
Mar 15, 2019 | 5:40 PM

The city says that tracking each scooter trip in Los Angeles will help officials determine which companies are not following new operating rules, but privacy advocates say it could be easy to trace a trip to an individual person. (Christina House / Los Angeles Times)

The abrupt arrival of thousands of electric scooters in Los Angeles last year has already forced public, sometimes ugly, disagreements about how the city’s street and sidewalk space should be used.

As Los Angeles prepares to launch a one-year program legalizing the vehicles, they’re now sparking a fight about data privacy.

Under new city rules, every company with a permit to rent out scooters or shared bicycles must send data to transportation officials on every trip the vehicles make.

That location data will help the city determine which companies are flouting new operating rules that cap the number of vehicles and restrict where they can be parked, officials said. Tracking them electronically will also be faster and cheaper than paying employees to look for rogue vehicles blocking sidewalks or wheelchair ramps.

“The public has to be reassured that there is somebody who is keeping a close eye,” said Seleta Reynolds, the Transportation Department’s general manager, who is overseeing the initiative.

The trouble is, opponents say, Los Angeles wants to keep too close an eye.

Uber, which operates Jump scooters, and several data privacy organizations have said the city's policy constitutes government surveillance, and would yield far more information about bicyclists and scooter riders than is available for drivers or transit commuters.

Many scooter trips in Los Angeles are tourist joyrides, but public officials say the zippy, electric devices could become a meaningful transportation alternative that helps commuters get to transit stops and run errands without driving.

The city will require companies to share information on the start point, end point and travel time of each bike or scooter trip within 24 hours after it ends, and whether the vehicle entered zones where riding or parking are restricted.

The data would not include a rider's name, but even in sprawling metropolitan areas, paths between home, work and school are typically unique, experts say. Someone with basic coding skills and access to the data could easily connect a trip to an individual person.

“This data is incredibly, incredibly sensitive,” said Jeremy Gillula, the technology projects director for the Electronic Frontier Foundation, a San Francisco-based digital rights group.

The vast trove of information could reveal many personal details of regular riders — such as whom they’re dating and where they worship — and could be misused if it fell into the wrong hands, the nonprofit Center for Democracy and Technology told the city in a letter.

The New York Times recently analyzed a database containing the movements of more than 1 million cellphones, and easily identified individual people, including an aide to New York Mayor Bill DeBlasio and a middle school teacher whose phone reported her home address, her workplace and the location of her Weight Watchers meetings.

The scooter and bicycle data will be classified as sensitive and confidential, which means information on individual rides will not be published on the city’s open data website or subject to public records requests, Reynolds said.

The data would be provided to police officers with a warrant, and could be revealed in response to a subpoena, the city said.

Some form of the data will also be shared with other city agencies “at the level of aggregation that we think they need,” Reynolds said, including city planners and the sanitation workers tasked with removing scooters from sidewalks, wheelchair ramps and other rights-of-way.

Uber spokesman Davis White said the city has not answered “fundamental questions” about how the city will safeguard the data. Uber is willing to share some data with L.A., he said, “so long as user privacy is protected.”

The city has urged California regulators to adopt a similar model for trips made in Uber and Lyft cars, which would reveal vast amounts of information on the companies’ operations statewide — data cities badly want to review, but that the companies have jealously guarded.

The dispute highlights the lack of trust between cities and transportation companies that have typically moved into new markets without asking permission, working with local officials or sharing details on their operations.

“I would trust Uber as far as I could throw one of their cars, and you can quote me on that,” Gillula said. But that doesn’t mean their concerns are without merit, he added.

The city plans to require companies to submit ride data starting April 15. Uber is pushing for a model that would require the companies to share less detailed information, and has urged the Transportation Department to submit the plan to the City Council for debate.

Allowing companies to summarize their own data is akin to “letting the fox watch the hen house,” Reynolds said, adding that she is “somewhat skeptical” that the companies would provide accurate information on their own.

Uber infamously used a program called Greyball that served up a fake version of the ride-hailing app to regulatory officials to stymie enforcement efforts. Seattle, which had an early study of bike-share data, found that the companies’ self-reported data had a “high margin of error," Reynolds said.

Aggregated data could also pose problems for L.A.’s pilot program, which caps companies at 3,000 scooters or bikes citywide, but offers a bonus of up to 7,500 more if they are deployed in low-income neighborhoods, she said. Tracking that compliance will require granular data that is “defensible and credible.”

“None of the things they’ve outlined in terms of transportation planning, or enforcement, or oversight requires keeping a record of where everyone has traveled,” said Kevin Webb, the co-director of Shared Streets, a nonprofit organization that helps cities and companies share transportation data, and that has accepted funding from Uber and Lyft.

One option, he said, would be to create a confidential database where trip data could be stored and stripped of some identifying information before being sent to the city. The database would record who shared the data, and what information was shared, creating a log that could be audited.

“The city is framing this as a debate with the companies,” Webb said. “But really, it’s between the city and all the citizens who are customers whose data and lives are being swept up in this fight.”

Poor guy, goes for a scooter ride and gets killed. :(
Man on electric scooter killed in hit-and-run crash in Santa Monica
By Jaclyn Cosgrove
Mar 18, 2019 | 7:55 PM

The Santa Monica Police Department asked for the public’s help Monday in finding the driver who fled after striking a 41-year-old man who fell into the road while riding an electric scooter.

Paramedics treated the victim for significant head and body trauma, but he died a short time later at a hospital.

The victim was riding his scooter south on Third Street in Santa Monica on Friday night when, for unknown reasons, he fell onto the road, where he was struck by a vehicle also traveling south on Third.

The driver got out of his car, but left before first responders arrived.

The driver is thought to be a white male, between 30 and 40 years old, about 6 feet 2 with a medium build. He has either short hair or a shaved head, and was wearing prescription glasses.

He was driving an older-model off-white or tan four-door sedan, possibly a Toyota Camry, with possible damage to the front passenger side.

This is good confirmation that the business model doesn't quite work the way it is. I'm still convinced that user data is where the profits, if any, come out (perhaps secretly).

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2019/4/9/18302136/bird-electric-scooter-price-increase-cities

Back