Tesla charging problems ?

General Discussion about electric vehicles.
Hillhater   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 10400
Joined: Aug 03 2010 10:33pm
Location: Sydney ..(Hilly part !) .. Australia/ Down under !

Tesla charging problems ?

Post by Hillhater » Dec 06 2019 4:33pm

This forum owes its existence to Justin of ebikes.ca

User avatar
eee291   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1021
Joined: Nov 05 2015 4:35pm
Location: Austria, Burgenland

Re: Tesla charging problems ?

Post by eee291 » Dec 06 2019 4:58pm

That's not a line I would want to be sitting in, even if the line was just one car :x

billvon   100 MW

100 MW
Posts: 2996
Joined: Sep 16 2007 9:53pm
Location: san diego

Re: Tesla charging problems ?

Post by billvon » Dec 06 2019 5:12pm

eee291 wrote:
Dec 06 2019 4:58pm
That's not a line I would want to be sitting in, even if the line was just one car
Fortunately you don't have to. You can use any outlet or EV charger to charge it. That's a line of people who want free charging, and don't want to pay for the power.
--bill von

john61ct   100 MW

100 MW
Posts: 2635
Joined: Dec 18 2018 2:06pm

Re: Tesla charging problems ?

Post by john61ct » Dec 06 2019 6:09pm

Really?

So on a long road trip, say visiting your aunt in Wyoming from Utah

there's a way to identify "sharing economy" households willing to let you plug into the clothes drier circuit for 4+ hours?

Even at 240V, say 16A,how many hours of driving do you get from each hour of charging?

cricketo   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 504
Joined: Oct 23 2018 10:01pm

Re: Tesla charging problems ?

Post by cricketo » Dec 06 2019 6:22pm

john61ct wrote:
Dec 06 2019 6:09pm
Even at 240V, say 16A,how many hours of driving do you get from each hour of charging?
Roughly 1 hour of driving for 4.5 hours of charging. If you can pull 50A, then 1 hour of driving for 1.5 hours of charging.

Hillhater   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 10400
Joined: Aug 03 2010 10:33pm
Location: Sydney ..(Hilly part !) .. Australia/ Down under !

Re: Tesla charging problems ?

Post by Hillhater » Dec 06 2019 7:19pm

cricketo wrote:
Dec 06 2019 6:22pm
john61ct wrote:
Dec 06 2019 6:09pm
Even at 240V, say 16A,how many hours of driving do you get from each hour of charging?
Roughly 1 hour of driving for 4.5 hours of charging. If you can pull 50A, then 1 hour of driving for 1.5 hours of charging.
So probably better to wait in the que for the Tesla Supercharger then ?
This forum owes its existence to Justin of ebikes.ca

john61ct   100 MW

100 MW
Posts: 2635
Joined: Dec 18 2018 2:06pm

Re: Tesla charging problems ?

Post by john61ct » Dec 06 2019 7:38pm

Most likely.

Obviously Thanksgiving is an edge case, but clearly they need to keep expanding stations in areas EV are so popular

Hillhater   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 10400
Joined: Aug 03 2010 10:33pm
Location: Sydney ..(Hilly part !) .. Australia/ Down under !

Re: Tesla charging problems ?

Post by Hillhater » Dec 06 2019 8:16pm

Reports of an even longer que (half mile , 50+ Cars ). At the Kettleman charging station on I5 .
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... e-masthead
This forum owes its existence to Justin of ebikes.ca

billvon   100 MW

100 MW
Posts: 2996
Joined: Sep 16 2007 9:53pm
Location: san diego

Re: Tesla charging problems ?

Post by billvon » Dec 06 2019 8:22pm

john61ct wrote:
Dec 06 2019 6:09pm
Really? So on a long road trip, say visiting your aunt in Wyoming from Utah there's a way to identify "sharing economy" households willing to let you plug into the clothes drier circuit for 4+ hours?
Yes, there are several "charger sharing apps" out there like EVMatch. From a typical 50A dryer outlet you can charge at ~10kW. However, you'd be better off using a commercial fast EV charger (not Tesla, so it's not free for Tesla drivers, so there isn't much waiting.)
--bill von

cricketo   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 504
Joined: Oct 23 2018 10:01pm

Re: Tesla charging problems ?

Post by cricketo » Dec 07 2019 12:14am

billvon wrote:
Dec 06 2019 8:22pm
From a typical 50A dryer outlet you can charge at ~10kW.
Typical dryer is 30A, and typical range is 50A (I've seen 30 and 40 amp circuits as well). Either way, Tesla's mobile adapter states it will pul up to 32A max.

https://www.tesla.com/support/home-char ... -connector

Punx0r   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 5361
Joined: May 03 2012 8:16am
Location: England

Re: Tesla charging problems ?

Post by Punx0r » Dec 07 2019 5:14am

I caught a bit of the world news earlier this week that showed not so long ago people in South Africa having to queue for 3 hours EVERY MORNING to fuel up their vehicle just to work for the day.

I bet those guys would have quite liked a vehicle you could slowly fuel up overnight at home.

It's almost like the replenishment time for any type of vehicle can be influenced by the availability of the replenishing equipment. :roll:

nicobie   10 MW

10 MW
Posts: 2235
Joined: Aug 07 2008 1:48pm
Location: Central Coast CA,USA

Re: Tesla charging problems ?

Post by nicobie » Dec 07 2019 2:28pm

Ah yes, Madonna Inn in SLO. Home of the rock rooms and one of the better breakfasts I've ever eaten. You should see their pisser.
Image

May your tote always stay tight and your edge eversharp :wink:

my eTownie build thread: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =6&t=23701

Hillhater   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 10400
Joined: Aug 03 2010 10:33pm
Location: Sydney ..(Hilly part !) .. Australia/ Down under !

Re: Tesla charging problems ?

Post by Hillhater » Dec 07 2019 6:54pm

nicobie wrote:
Dec 07 2019 2:28pm
Ah yes, Madonna Inn in SLO.
..... You should see their pisser.
Ha !..one of the few places you would want to take a photo of the mens urinal ! :shock:
This forum owes its existence to Justin of ebikes.ca


billvon   100 MW

100 MW
Posts: 2996
Joined: Sep 16 2007 9:53pm
Location: san diego

Re: Tesla charging problems ?

Post by billvon » Dec 07 2019 10:20pm

cricketo wrote:
Dec 07 2019 12:14am
Typical dryer is 30A, and typical range is 50A (I've seen 30 and 40 amp circuits as well). Either way, Tesla's mobile adapter states it will pul up to 32A max.
Hmm. Ours pulls 40A from our 50A outlet.
--bill von

Warren   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1340
Joined: Oct 05 2010 11:35am

Re: Tesla charging problems ?

Post by Warren » Dec 07 2019 10:56pm

billvon wrote:
Dec 07 2019 10:20pm
cricketo wrote:
Dec 07 2019 12:14am
Typical dryer is 30A, and typical range is 50A (I've seen 30 and 40 amp circuits as well). Either way, Tesla's mobile adapter states it will pul up to 32A max.
Hmm. Ours pulls 40A from our 50A outlet.
Tesla makes two mobile adapters, one for the S and X, and one for the Model 3. The Model 3 Gen II unit advertises 32 amps to the car. We have one we use every day with our Bolt, thanks to a JDapter. The Model 3, and the Bolt both have 32 amp onboard chargers.

User avatar
st35326   100 W

100 W
Posts: 232
Joined: Jan 26 2016 9:46am
Location: Modesto, CA

Re: Tesla charging problems ?

Post by st35326 » Dec 08 2019 2:42am

Every weekday there are massive gas line at Costco where I live. Im not talking about the biggest travel holiday of the year as the OP fails to mention, Im talking Mon-Friday.

Same deal in the other cities Ive lived, San DIego, Los Angeles and O.C.
Attachments
GasSD.jpg
San Diego
GasSD.jpg (236.02 KiB) Viewed 1270 times
gas2.jpg
Los Angeles
gas2.jpg (6.41 KiB) Viewed 1270 times
gas3.jpg
Orange County
gas3.jpg (12.23 KiB) Viewed 1270 times

User avatar
st35326   100 W

100 W
Posts: 232
Joined: Jan 26 2016 9:46am
Location: Modesto, CA

Re: Tesla charging problems ?

Post by st35326 » Dec 08 2019 2:50am

Hillhater wrote:
Dec 06 2019 4:33pm
Further proof of the EV adoption is inevitable, the quickening is upon us. Some of these other garbage ICE companies need to step up and build chargers without a court order telling them to do so (Volkswagen). Tesla is apparently the only company with the will and forward thought to do so. Fine by me. With great risk comes great reward and spoils tend to go to the victors, time to buy more stock.

Hillhater   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 10400
Joined: Aug 03 2010 10:33pm
Location: Sydney ..(Hilly part !) .. Australia/ Down under !

Re: Tesla charging problems ?

Post by Hillhater » Dec 08 2019 4:10am

st35326 wrote:
Dec 08 2019 2:42am
Every weekday there are massive gas line at Costco where I live. Im not talking about the biggest travel holiday of the year as the OP fails to mention, Im talking Mon-Friday.
Im sure there are other gas stations available without those wait lines,...but some people chose to trade wait time for a dollar saving.
Those tesla owners did not have that option.!
st35326 wrote:
Dec 08 2019 2:50am
Further proof of the EV adoption is inevitable, ....
EV adoption may well be inevitable, but that is not proof of it.
The only thing that it does illustrate, is that there are issues with providing sufficient charging facilities for EVs during peak demand periods.
This forum owes its existence to Justin of ebikes.ca

billvon   100 MW

100 MW
Posts: 2996
Joined: Sep 16 2007 9:53pm
Location: san diego

Re: Tesla charging problems ?

Post by billvon » Dec 08 2019 5:21pm

Hillhater wrote:
Dec 08 2019 4:10am
Im sure there are other gas stations available without those wait lines,...but some people chose to trade wait time for a dollar saving.
Those tesla owners did not have that option.!
Of course they did. There are plenty of other chargers (and outlets) without those wait lines - but some people choose to trade wait time for free charging. For example, here in San Diego there are 957 charging stations. 3 of them are Tesla superchargers. There is ALWAYS a line at the Sorrento Valley one, because it is both free and very convenient. There is never a line at the downtown one.
EV adoption may well be inevitable, but that is not proof of it.
The only thing that it does illustrate, is that there are issues with providing sufficient charging facilities for EVs during peak demand periods.
Just as the Costco case proves that there are issues with providing sufficient fueling facilities for EV's during peak demand periods.
--bill von

Hillhater   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 10400
Joined: Aug 03 2010 10:33pm
Location: Sydney ..(Hilly part !) .. Australia/ Down under !

Re: Tesla charging problems ?

Post by Hillhater » Dec 08 2019 7:03pm

billvon wrote:
Dec 08 2019 5:21pm
Hillhater wrote:
Dec 08 2019 4:10am
Im sure there are other gas stations available without those wait lines,...but some people chose to trade wait time for a dollar saving.
Those tesla owners did not have that option.!
Of course they did. There are plenty of other chargers (and outlets) without those wait lines - but some people choose to trade wait time for free charging. For example, here in San Diego there are 957 charging stations. 3 of them are Tesla superchargers. There is ALWAYS a line at the Sorrento Valley one, because it is both free and very convenient. There is never a line at the downtown one.
Well maybe they should relocate those chargers to where they are needed !, like the main N-S interstate
There are no other options of any variety at Kettleman apparently.
You have to travel 20+ miles anywhere around Kettleman to find the next charge point beyond the 4o units
EV adoption may well be inevitable, but that is not proof of it.
The only thing that it does illustrate, is that there are issues with providing sufficient charging facilities for EVs during peak demand periods.
billvon wrote:
Dec 08 2019 5:21pm
....Just as the Costco case proves that there are issues with providing sufficient fueling facilities for EV's during peak demand periods.
.. :) Im glad you agree with me about the EV “fueling” problem ! :thumb:
But I repeat ....for those with problems understanding...
Costco lines are created by driver choice ( and are probably of limited duration.)
Tesla lines are the result of demand exceeding supply, and restricted options such as the Kettleman situation.
Would the owner of a Tesla seriously wait in line for an unknown period, mid journey, at night, ... just to save $10, if there were any readily available options ?
NO reports of significant lines at gas stations in that area on the same peak weekend !
This forum owes its existence to Justin of ebikes.ca

User avatar
st35326   100 W

100 W
Posts: 232
Joined: Jan 26 2016 9:46am
Location: Modesto, CA

Re: Tesla charging problems ?

Post by st35326 » Dec 08 2019 7:50pm

Hillhater wrote:
Dec 08 2019 4:10am
st35326 wrote:
Dec 08 2019 2:42am
Every weekday there are massive gas line at Costco where I live. Im not talking about the biggest travel holiday of the year as the OP fails to mention, Im talking Mon-Friday.
Im sure there are other gas stations available without those wait lines,...but some people chose to trade wait time for a dollar saving.
Those tesla owners did not have that option.!
st35326 wrote:
Dec 08 2019 2:50am
Further proof of the EV adoption is inevitable, ....
EV adoption may well be inevitable, but that is not proof of it.
The only thing that it does illustrate, is that there are issues with providing sufficient charging facilities for EVs during peak demand periods.
You think that is the only super charger in the area of that video?......OK boomer.

How were the lines at the other 6,000 superchargers? Your sample size is lacking.

“Science advances one funeral at a time.”
― Max Planck

User avatar
st35326   100 W

100 W
Posts: 232
Joined: Jan 26 2016 9:46am
Location: Modesto, CA

Re: Tesla charging problems ?

Post by st35326 » Dec 08 2019 7:58pm

Hillhater wrote:
Dec 06 2019 4:33pm
Whats your deal dude? You like electric bikes but cant stand the same propulsion unit in cars?
You make comments like guy who takes showers outside and rides ebikes because of the number of DUIs he has.

Guess where there is never a line for my EV but an infinite wait time for gasoline?

Every garage.

Hillhater   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 10400
Joined: Aug 03 2010 10:33pm
Location: Sydney ..(Hilly part !) .. Australia/ Down under !

Re: Tesla charging problems ?

Post by Hillhater » Dec 08 2019 8:42pm

st35326 wrote:
Dec 08 2019 7:50pm

You think that is the only super charger in the area of that video?......OK boomer.
How were the lines at the other 6,000 superchargers? Your sample size is lacking.
No, there are 39 others at the Kettleman charge station...all of them either in use , or unuseable (common apparently)
And as i pointed out , the next nearest charger is 20 miles away !
The other 5959 chargers are not where they were needed for those tesla drivers traveling I5 that evening.
You common sense is lacking and your over enthusiastic , rose tinted, Tesla Fanboy sunglasses , are limiting your vision !
st35326 wrote:
Dec 08 2019 7:50pm
Whats your deal dude? You like electric bikes but cant stand the same propulsion unit in cars?
Oh ? And you are also a wannabe psychoanalysist too ??
Well, you wont pass the exam with results like that .
What makes you think i ..“cant stand the same propulsion unit in cars “ ?
What i cant stand is dumb fanboys who refuse to see the issues with owning and using EVs without the necessary service and support infrastructure.....
...... a point made obvious to all in those videos !
This forum owes its existence to Justin of ebikes.ca

john61ct   100 MW

100 MW
Posts: 2635
Joined: Dec 18 2018 2:06pm

Re: Tesla charging problems ?

Post by john61ct » Dec 08 2019 9:05pm

now now boys.

yes of course there aren't enough stations to handle peak demand

of course we all want more

really isn't much more to say is there?

Post Reply