Short video of Tesla cyberquad - does anyone have more information?

MitchJi

10 MW
[Youtube]RQ3Vmn6__CI[/Youtube]

https://youtu.be/RQ3Vmn6__CI

I’d like more information about the specs.

I’d love prices or availability.

Elon tweeted that it will be an option when you buy a truck.

Unless Elon also pulls out next gen batteries I don't expect much from this quad in terms of range at least. Performance might be great but put any quads loose dirt and go WOT and you can hear the fuel whistling as it's drained. I think that the Nikola SXS is gonna have 130 kwh! pack to get decent range. Of course the quad will be much much lighter but likely will have less real estate for a large pack. It's like with electric motorcycles as of today. They are great fun and perfect for urban riding, shorter commutes etc. But not really a touring option for seasoned touring enthusiasts or even longer stretches of highway.

If we will see the most awaited solid state or whatever the next gen cell will be where they can double up the energy density that will change and it will open up for a whole new wave of fun electric vehicles, sports machines, water crafts, maybe even electric paragliders, and a lot of hooligan builds. Heck we might even see hi performance dune builds that can rip in the sand for a few hours while lifting the front end and do crazy wheelie turns uphill. But as of now, that is all but a dream due to real estate, weight and energy density.

macribs said:
Unless Elon also pulls out next gen batteries I don't expect much from this quad in terms of range at least.
He will. Stay tuned for battery day in about @4-5 months.

macribs said:
Unless Elon also pulls out next gen batteries I don't expect much from this quad in terms of range at least.

Why not ? You can look at Zero Motorcycles for examples of what is possible without "next gen" batteries. Given aerodynamics kills range, and quads aren't intended to travel at highway speeds, decent range is quite possible.

MitchJi said:
I’d like more information about the specs.

I’d love prices or availability.

None of that is available, and likely won't be available for a year or so. Once they move closer to production of Cybertruck, we will know more about the quad. There is some possibility the quad never makes it to mass production.

cricketo said:
macribs said:

Why not ? You can look at Zero Motorcycles for examples of what is possible without "next gen" batteries. Given aerodynamics kills range, and quads aren't intended to travel at highway speeds, decent range is quite possible.

I know Zero well as I got one as a daily driver for the summer time. But as much of a fan I am, Zero can not yet replace ICE bikes for everyone because of range that drops by the twist of the throttle. The harder you ride the less range. And the faster you travel at highways the less range. For daily usage the Zero is perfect and so much fun, but for traveling with friends I still keep the old liter bike to allow for more freedom.

I have yet to test any electric quads or sxs. But I do think they will run in the same problem. The amount of energy stored into today's cells are not there yet to give enough range to those who like to crack the throttle wide open and enjoy the thrill of electric vehicles.

But of course your mileage may vary. Depending of how you choose to ride it, what type of terrain and how many hours you need of how far you need to go. And also how quickly and easily you can re-charge. Me I would sit this one out and wait for higher energy density batteries before I would choose a powerful electric quad or electric sxs.

EV range is a very sensitive topic.
EG.. the Tesla M3 has a official range of 329 miles.
But independent road tests have recorded “real use” range as low as 239 miles in typical “standard “ test routes.
Further, in the “ charge a Tesla by towing with a Raptor” thread, they returned a figure of 0.19 kW/km in steady driving....but then got 1kWh/km when driving “fast” (not racing) round the same flat test track. !!
So 5x the consumption , or 1/5 of the range ..65-70 miles !!

cricketo said:
macribs said:
I would sit this one out and wait for higher energy density batteries

Yup, fusion drive to the rescue :lol:

Or just accept the limitations within today's cells, use em where it makes sense and sit one out while waiting for more dense batteries for projects that will not work well within today's energy density limitations. You can't make anything electric with what we got. A year or two electric snowmobile was launched. Useless project. Unless your primary usage is your own backyard. Today's hi powered turbo sleds uses so much fuel that when ridden properly in deep powder a day of backcountry riding requires extra fuel. No way an ev-snowmobile is mass market ready as of today. Probably not even with next gen cells.

Look at the Alta Mx. Great bike. It had all thing going for it. Except the batteries. Even at the track people didn't get max out of it for long sessions without carrying an expensive spare battery pack. And for enduro the Alta was, let's say a challenge. What problems people had with the Alta would all vanish with better cells.

We do see better cells, and they have gotten better and will continue to improve. But I hope someone someday soon make a break through in battery chemistry so we can see at least 40-50% increase in energy density.

macribs said:
blah blah blah

Whatever dude. I also have a Zero, and I have a Polaris Ranger EV converted to Lithium. Given what I know from experience a practical electric ATV is quite possible. Sit out all you want.

cricketo said:
macribs said:
blah blah blah

Whatever dude. I also have a Zero, and I have a Polaris Ranger EV converted to Lithium. Given what I know from experience a practical electric ATV is quite possible. Sit out all you want.

Whats with the attitude bro? No need to whatever me dude....I wasn't trying to be a dick about it.
That ranger might work better as an EV then say the turbo S as they target different user groups and usage. Me I will sit this one out until we have better energy density in out cells. As of today we can solve much of our needs using EV's but not all our needs, so I accept that reality and and choose to embrace it.

Sorry was not my intention to come of as dick. I apologize. I guess my patience is worn a bit thin on the subject of next gen cells, as I like many of us in the DIY crowd have read and heard about those cells for at least ten years and often once or twice each year a company has a press release saying they got the "new wine" and they will bring their next-gen-cells to market. Yet all we see is small increases by each generation of cells, because they stick to the same chemistry.

So whenever that next-gen-cells does arrive and the cells holds double the energy as of today, I could sell the Triumph and rely only on the Zero to fill all my motorcycle needs. The diesel van I sometimes uses for weekend get away's to more remote trails for riding could become electric and I wouldn't have to limit the time riding great single tracks because the battery pack is loosing bars and I emptied the other battery yesterday. It is nice and easy to ride electric bikes on single tracks. But when I need to travel by van and live in a cramped van for the weekend in order to enjoy those trail I would rather I get to ride as much and many hours as I please without emptying the pack rather the keeping an eye on the bars.

macribs said:
So whenever that next-gen-cells does arrive and the cells holds double the energy as of today, I could sell the Triumph and rely only on the Zero to fill all my motorcycle needs. The diesel van I sometimes uses for weekend get away's to more remote trails for riding could become electric and I wouldn't have to limit the time riding great single tracks because the battery pack is loosing bars and I emptied the other battery yesterday. It is nice and easy to ride electric bikes on single tracks. But when I need to travel by van and live in a cramped van for the weekend in order to enjoy those trail I would rather I get to ride as much and many hours as I please without emptying the pack rather the keeping an eye on the bars.

I think you're still missing my point. While I agree with you Zero currently doesn't make a motorcycle that is an all around replacement for an ICE motorcycle of the same class, there are plenty of caveats. So for instance, I don't think for highway use the main limitation is in the range, rather it is in charging. Zero continues to use 100v architecture (because all the parts are off-the-shelf and not their own), which is largely incompatible with DC charging. I don't ride for fun, on track or on trails. I know a lot of people do, but the toy aspect of these things is such that it is highly subjective, and again even if you personally are happy with improvement of cell density, 5 other people still won't be.

Then going back to the question of the the quad. What range is good enough to make people want it ? For me if it can do 20 miles on a charge, that's plenty sufficient. I go camping, take the quad to explore the area within a few miles from camp, recharge. I get 15 miles of range on Ranger running 5kW lithium pack (80lb), and that is a 1000lb vehicle. For others ? Somebody will say it needs to do at least 100 miles at 55MPH, so they're just not the audience.

Back