4 wheel drive ATV as utility vehicle

Desertprep

1 kW
atv.jpg Just to be clear, I am talking about this kind of atv - some people call it a quad cycle. I am looking for an electric powered vehicle like this to help survey and develop a piece of land that I bought. It does not have to be fast - 15 mph is adequate because it will seldom be on pavement (20 mph would be ideal, but range is more important), though some of them have transmissions that let gearing make it go faster. I want it to pull a small trailer - gross weight about 40 pounds with 26" mountain bike tires, along with about 40 pounds of tools on the atv. In the winter I want it to do some snow plowing (no trailer then). Survey of atv's on the web said that power was not the most important aspect of plowing but rather the total weight of the vehicle. They have to be heavy enough to cut through the snow and not ride on top of it. I have read reviews of 125cc atv's that worked well as snow plows, as well as other utility functions. Range is important - would like it to do 30 miles on a charge. Most of the projects I have seek online re: converting atv's to electric power have focused on speed, so have not been able to find a project to compare to. I think replacing the gas engine with one electric motor would be the easiest upgrade, vs. a hub motor in each wheel. Is 3KW (about 4 hp) likely going to give me the power that I need? Most of the 125cc motors are a little under 4 hp. 48v or 72v? and 40amp battery?

cricketo said:
https://daymak.com/offroad/beast-awd-atv.html

Great ad - thank you! I like the sounds of that - 2 x 1,000 watt motors - redundancy is always good when you are off the beaten path. More than likely one mounted up front for the front wheels and one for the back wheels, then 2 running together when more power is needed. I see a lot more 72v battery packs for sale now - don't see 60v much anymore. Would Life be a safe battery option in a vehicle that might tip over and get bounced around? I could probably add an additional 30 pounds of carrying capacity by switching to a Life battery pack and could increase the amps of the battery as well to get more (s)miles. :thumb:

It's pretty simple, all you need is a two stage reduction gearbox.
You can make one easily.

I made something similar like this for a kids ATV.
Double-Chain-photo.jpg

Had you considered something other than an ATV? They're very popular but in most cases they're not the ideal platform, the 4x4 golf buggy type things would often be better suited or maybe a light tractor converted to electric when pulling/pushing power is far more important than top speed.

stan.distortion said:
the 4x4 golf buggy type things

They're typically called UTVs, and several electric ones are available: Polaris Ranger EV, Hisun Sector E1, Textron Prowler EV, Intimidator Classic EV.

cricketo said:
stan.distortion said:
the 4x4 golf buggy type things

They're typically called UTVs, and several electric ones are available: Polaris Ranger EV, Hisun Sector E1, Textron Prowler EV, Intimidator Classic EV.

Yep, that's them. The US military had a similar class of vehicle back in the 60s/70s called the Mechanical Mule that had a much better layout, forward control with 2 or 3 times the load space. A far more practical vehicle imo but not easy to find these days, might be worth considering a similar layout with ATV/UTV running gear though.

I'd consider a slightly larger chassis if you're planning to plow snow. I use my 400cc Honda FourTrax to plow, and it's borderline too light for the job. It also makes substantially more than 4HP, and has a torque converter in addition to a CVT.

Our snow does tend to be heavy and slushy here though, depending where you are it might not be such a struggle.

Thank you for the advice. I will probably take all of it at one time or another :mrgreen: I will start with an ATV because it will help me get started - it will fit into my van - no trailer needed, and will work as a multifunction vehicle to get plans made, soil samples taken, snow cleared until paths are put in...

Back