Legal classification of my custom build - Quadricycle? ATV? Wheelchair? All?

General Discussion about electric vehicles.
skyeg3   1 W

1 W

Legal classification of my custom build - Quadricycle? ATV? Wheelchair? All?

Post by skyeg3 » Mar 07 2020 3:59pm

Hey all. I have built a custom vehicle that doesn't really fit into one legal category. I'm looking for help finding the laws regarding this. It is a pure electric full suspension vehicle with a perm 132. It is very fast but we've installed a speed dial so we can dial the power back. I think this would qualify as a quadricycle as I have a disability (quadriplegic) and if we set it to have no more than 2hp and 30mph top speed. Also I think there is an argument to be made that this is a wheelchair and would therefor be allowed on hiking trails. Also I'm sure this is also an ATV. Interested to hear your thoughts. Thanks in Advance.
green.JPG
green.JPG (114.45 KiB) Viewed 816 times
creek.JPG
creek.JPG (223.65 KiB) Viewed 816 times

john61ct   10 GW

10 GW

Re: Legal classification of my custom build - Quadricycle? ATV? Wheelchair? All?

Post by john61ct » Mar 07 2020 4:13pm

Will vary by jurisdiction

markz   100 GW

100 GW

Re: Legal classification of my custom build - Quadricycle? ATV? Wheelchair? All?

Post by markz » Mar 08 2020 10:22pm

It is a "mobility" device for a disabled person.

amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Mar 09 2020 1:55am

you have to check your own local laws.

if it's a mobility device, you must follow the specific sections for those devices, and follow all those limitations (usually 4 to 8mph max, sometimes there are size restrictions, or diameter of wheels, etc). if it does not match the specifics of the definitions of your local laws for a mobility device, then it isn't one, legally.

if it's an atv, then you must fullow the specific sections for those, and again, if it doesn't match, it isn't one.

but it's up to you to look up your own local laws.

your ride can only be one kind of transport, legally, in any of the laws i've poked thru of various states in the usa. so you must pick what you want it to be, and then match those specific laws.

if you want to have more than one kind of transport, you would have to build different versions that each match their own legal classification definitions, and register each (if they require it) as necessary.

if you don't care about the legal status or classifcations, etc., then you can do whatever you want until someone objects and law enforcement gets involved. ;)

wturber   10 MW

10 MW

Post by wturber » Mar 09 2020 2:00am

skyeg3 wrote:
Mar 07 2020 3:59pm
Hey all. I have built a custom vehicle that doesn't really fit into one legal category. I'm looking for help finding the laws regarding this. It is a pure electric full suspension vehicle with a perm 132. It is very fast but we've installed a speed dial so we can dial the power back. I think this would qualify as a quadricycle as I have a disability (quadriplegic) and if we set it to have no more than 2hp and 30mph top speed. Also I think there is an argument to be made that this is a wheelchair and would therefor be allowed on hiking trails. Also I'm sure this is also an ATV. Interested to hear your thoughts. Thanks in Advance.

green.JPG
creek.JPG
As said before, it depends on where you live. I suggest looking up your local statutes.

In Arizona, you could possibly argue that this is a motorized wheelchair, but that allows you to use it on sidewalks and multi-use paths and, not streets or bike lanes/paths. And while there is no clarity on maximum speed, if you used it anywhere near your 30 mph top speed on sidewalks or bikepaths, you'd probably find your self disputing the legality of how you are using it in court just on the common sense basis that such speeds don't make sense on sidewalks and multi-use paths.

You probably can't call it an ATV in AZ since I don't see brake lights, mirror etc. You also could not call it an electric bicycle or a personal mobility device in AZ. You might be able to call it a neighborhood electrical vehicle if it meets certain Federal motor safety standards. If you want the maximum flexibility for legal definitions in AZ, you need to limit the device to two or three wheels and less than 1hp or 750 watts. Doing that usually gives you lots of legal wiggle room compared to building a four wheeled vehicle. That seems pretty typical for most U.S. jurisdictions, but there are definitely many exceptions - which leads us back to the original point. It depends on where you live and/or intend to operate it.
"Commuter - DC Booster"
Iron Horse 3.0 hardtail - 48V / 1000W / 470rpm generic Chinese DD Hub motor (ebay)
8 x 36v 4.3ah 10s 2P battery packs - 1500W 30A DC Boost Converter delivers 54v and about 1000 watts peak
53T/42T Sakae Road cranks - 30mph+ on flats
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=90369

amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Mar 09 2020 2:25am

wturber wrote:
Mar 09 2020 2:00am
If you want the maximum flexibility for legal definitions in AZ, you need to limit the device to two or three wheels
fwiw, this is often stated as "a maximum of three wheels in contact with the ground", meaning things like training wheels turning a two wheeled bike into four doesn't count because only three of them can be on the ground at once.

you can also add outrigger wheels on the front of a delta trike or the rear of a tadpole, that, like training wheels, are raised a bit above the ground, and only one can touch the ground at a time, and to do that the diametrically opposed regular wheel would have to lift off the ground, so there'd still only be three "in contact with the ground". ;)

so if you need the stability of four wheels in turns, this is an option wherever the above definition wording is used, for bicycle-class transport.

steveu88   100 µW

100 µW

Post by steveu88 » Apr 08 2020 11:05am

call it what you will...i call it badass!

Stealth_Chopper   10 mW

10 mW

Post by Stealth_Chopper » Apr 09 2020 12:17pm

Hi Sky,
C'mon it's an ATV if you want to run it without interrogations, enjoy the ATV trails.
Or, do your thing and maybe get a ticket, from who knows the DEP Officer?
Then write a nice polite informative letter to the judge go to their court, it's America.
It's a just a ticket. A violation of some obscure regulation or even just some rule and therefore not a violation.

However if I were your brother, I would go riding with you because bad things can happen to good people.
I'm not keen on riding any little thing, 2, 3 or 4 wheels, costing BIG $$,$$$.00 into the big woods you know like ...
" Stick 'em up ! "

Good Luck you have a beautiful machine, enjoy.
Mike

markz   100 GW

100 GW

Post by markz » Apr 10 2020 6:57pm

It's a disability mobility device, that's exactly what it is, there is no debating that.

CONSIDERABLE SHOUTING   100 W

100 W

Post by CONSIDERABLE SHOUTING » Apr 11 2020 12:01pm

Oof, some of these comments...

OP, you need to either talk to a judge or a disability lawyer than an internet forum. To them, weight and size will need to be considered than just top speed- you are laying in the picture, and there's tons of elevators I know you can't go into with it. Look at it as you're breaking up a boring day for them with a 20MPH+ custom wheelchair. If you describe that you built it to partially replace a car, they might be *very* lenient for your sakes.

wturber   10 MW

10 MW

Post by wturber » Apr 16 2020 10:32pm

Stealth_Chopper wrote:
Apr 09 2020 12:17pm
It's a just a ticket. A violation of some obscure regulation or even just some rule and therefore not a violation.
Be careful. You need to know and understand the local laws. In AZ you might find yourself facing pretty big fines for driving an unregistered, uninsured vehicle. That could be far worse than a typical traffic violation.
"Commuter - DC Booster"
Iron Horse 3.0 hardtail - 48V / 1000W / 470rpm generic Chinese DD Hub motor (ebay)
8 x 36v 4.3ah 10s 2P battery packs - 1500W 30A DC Boost Converter delivers 54v and about 1000 watts peak

wturber   10 MW

10 MW

Post by wturber » Apr 16 2020 10:36pm

CONSIDERABLE SHOUTING wrote:
Apr 11 2020 12:01pm
Oof, some of these comments...

OP, you need to either talk to a judge or a disability lawyer than an internet forum. To them, weight and size will need to be considered than just top speed- you are laying in the picture, and there's tons of elevators I know you can't go into with it. Look at it as you're breaking up a boring day for them with a 20MPH+ custom wheelchair. If you describe that you built it to partially replace a car, they might be *very* lenient for your sakes.
Exactly. Understand the pertinent laws and interpretations. That why John16's first comment was so appropriate.

And depending on jurisdiction, weight and size may or may not be significant factors. So that portion of your post falls in the "Oof" category. But it probably doesn't matter. The OP never followed up on any of the posts or gave his location.
"Commuter - DC Booster"

amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW

Post by amberwolf » Apr 16 2020 11:25pm

Unfortunatley the OP has a history of that. :(
search.php?author_id=46449&sr=posts