Are electric vehicles rated in peak or continuous horsepower?

Electric vehicles such as the Nissan Leaf, Teslas, or the Chevy Bolt, when they say for example 170 hp, is that a continuous power output, or is that peak?

It's going to be peak. You would have to be climbing a really steep hill to keep the power that high for any length of time.

fechter said:
It's going to be peak. You would have to be climbing a really steep hill to keep the power that high for any length of time.

Interesting. Why do we prefer continuous power ratings in e bikes then?

IIRC, in the post 2017 Leaf the power rating is for a 30 second surge. They still use the motor they started using in 2013, but have bumped the inverter (think "controller") output twice now, most recently raising the output power to over 200HP, from the original 108. MY 2018 40kwh Leaf has 147HP.

With the Leaf, it is also related to the changes in battery capacity and chemistry.
The motor can only produce the power that the battery can supply.. (and the inverter can handle ).
The battery capacity has been doubled since Gen1, and the chemistry changed also.

Ok I don't own an electric car but I feel a bit cheated now lmao. Might as well go around saying my e bike has 10 horsepower XD

speedyebikenoob said:
Because that is generally how they are used. A 'standard' 250 or 350W motor is going to be at full power most of the time for most riders. Even my 1500 watt hub is at full power about half the time unless I am riding for efficiency.

JackFlorey said:
speedyebikenoob said:
Because that is generally how they are used. A 'standard' 250 or 350W motor is going to be at full power most of the time for most riders. Even my 1500 watt hub is at full power about half the time unless I am riding for efficiency.

That makes sense. I'm happy to have a 3300 watt middrive, on my daily commute I almost never need to use more than half the power, so I guess after 2 kw most people have more power than they need. On the other hand, my 500 w e scooter is continuously pinned on any ride, it makes me a little furious :D

Back