VESC Field Weakening

I've just switched from an ASI BAC800 to a VESC 6.6 on my ebike. So far the VESC is working well in FOC mode. Among other things, I've been able to greatly improve my acceleration. But I'd like to be able to field weaken as on my ASI. This is not a feature that is available in the VESC Tool. But it is one that can be implemented using the code available on GitHub at https://github.com/vedderb/vesc_tool/pull/34/files. How does one implement code into the VESCTool? When I import XML files into the developer editor, nothing shows up in the VESC tool itself. A step-by-step would be helpful. Thanks!

You would need to compile the vesc controller firmware and vesc tool program to use that branch. I'm not sure if that branch should be used for field weakening as only the MTPA code has been merged and not the FW part.

I've implemented field weakening on my ebike a different way and have been riding it for a few months. Check the end of the thread in my sig.

Thanks for the prompt response! I've seen that thread, actually, as well as the Github. There's a bit of a learning curve for all of the terminology. I'll have to spend some time digging into it to fully grasp everything that's going on. Fwiw, my first iteration of this ebike utilized a Neumotors 8025/150. It ran reasonably well but I had headaches tuning it with the ASI, and wasn't wild about the dust/dirt problems of outrunners. I've since switched to a new inrunner being made by Astro - their 4010/169. So far it is so nice. Easy to tune with controllers, quiet, excellent heat dissipation, etc.

Hey nowholeself, your profile picture looks like the mechanic from Luna cycle.

Astro motors are nice, you were able to reduce the noise a bit?

This 4000-series Astro motor is very quiet. I've seen videos of noisy systems utilizing the 3000-series Astro motors. But all of them were being reduced by hypoid gears. I'm using belts and well-enclosed planetary gears. So perhaps the noise associated with Astro motors is just the noise of the gears?

district9prawn said:
You would need to compile the vesc controller firmware and vesc tool program to use that branch. I'm not sure if that branch should be used for field weakening as only the MTPA code has been merged and not the FW part.

I've implemented field weakening on my ebike a different way and have been riding it for a few months. Check the end of the thread in my sig.

I've still been unable to load the field weakening controls on my VESC. Can someone provide a step-by-step?

Back