Apple iPad as a dashboard display?

gogo

1 MW
I took a quick look and everything that works on the iTouch and iPhone is supposed yo work on the iPad. There are also app development tools out for the iPad. It sure has a lot of screen, but seems kinda big to remove to take with you. I suppose if you had a helmet bag already, it might fit into the bottom of that nicely.

Naw, I get all my Apple stuff refurb or second hand, so I don't have one. After reflecting on it, dual iTouchs would probably work better for an ebike than the iPad.

vanilla ice said:
Aren't those things like two thousand bucks or something ridiculous like that?

$500 to $830, but the refurb wi-fi iTouch is $150 with a 1 year warranty.

I considered an i-something but decided against it. I went with an Archos 5IT. It is Android so the development environment is free (Eclipse) and the apps martketplace is completely open. It has GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth, PMP and FM Radio. I got a Bluetooth receiver for my helmet (Giro Revolver Helmet with built-in headphones) and now am wireless. I am looking into Straight Talk Wireless with a $45.00 no-contract unlimited talk/text/data plan so I can tether via bluetooth to allow Google Tracks to keep a close-up satellite view and so I can get my email or do stuff on the web (live webcam, perhaps?). Google tracks has a graph of elevation and speed versus time or distance that is really cool. It has a turn-by-turn navigator with voice commands, but I know where I am going most of the time. It loads from the Google apps marketplace so all kinds of applications are available.

I am working on an app (slowly) that will meld Google tracks and the music/FM player functions together in a single application. As soon as I figure out the serial port functions, I plan to add input from the CA and/or USB from the BMS.

The Archos 5IT 8GB is available from Radio Shack for $250. BestBuy has a 16GB and a 32GB is available as well at Archos.com.

Emphasis on the word "available". There appear to be a bunch of these 5" or so tablets on the horizon, but the Archos is IN STOCK and has had a good amount of post-release work done so it is pretty mature. The downside is that it is still Android 1.6 (Donut). A 2.X (Eclair, probably 2.1) update is expected but has not been released as of today.

Edit: Speling

StephanR,

how will the tablet interface with the ca or controller? I was having high hopes of using my ipod touch or possibly a iphone with my bike but the app they have going on right now wont work with the system I will be using as it is geared more to car sized EV controllers with a serial communication port. how they are making it work is great though, a module to connect to the controller and bms that communicates to the iphone via wifi. seems to me you could make a simpler version for ebikes and the like that works off of your CA cable from the controller. I wonder how hard it would be to makes something like that work across various platforms like iphone and android?

To provide a little more info than gestalt (thanks by the way) the xenoDisplay might fill your need. We're developing for iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad and we plan to do a port over to Android as well. :mrgreen:

Screenshot_003.png

details are available at the link in my signature..

Cheers,

Eric

*EDIT* because I didn't read gestalt's post until after I posted..

gestalt said:
StephanR,

how will the tablet interface with the ca or controller? I was having high hopes of using my ipod touch or possibly a iphone with my bike but the app they have going on right now wont work with the system I will be using as it is geared more to car sized EV controllers with a serial communication port. how they are making it work is great though, a module to connect to the controller and bms that communicates to the iphone via wifi. seems to me you could make a simpler version for ebikes and the like that works off of your CA cable from the controller. I wonder how hard it would be to makes something like that work across various platforms like iphone and android?

gestalt, we hope to do an Android port after the iPhone version, and that should have lesser hardware requirements since it's not as "locked down" as the iPhone is. No promises, but just thought I'd toss that out to you since we're pretty high on the Android platform because of its' Open-ness.

aliahlewis said:
Did you got your iPad?? Then hows it?? and hows it working?? Because illustrative imaginations are very much here and there but I want to have the personal review of iPad from the one who have really tried it out. So if you have used it than give the brief description with pros and cons of iPad

Very cool device!

I got one to replace a high res tablet that I use daily for web browsing and remote controls. I like the size and how well it makes larger resolutions fit the display. It is very fast to switch from app to app, power up, etc... It knows where I'm at but not as accurately as my GPS (Colorado 400t). The touch behavior is super intuitive.

It does just about everything I hoped and more. So much better than using a stylus and/or any touch controls available with windows or linux. I like HP's touch instrumentation the best of any real PC I've tried ... but it isn't even close to the usability and predictability of the iPad's touch! It uses standard iPhone connector type cables. I've had zero issues with wifi. It works great for email, web browsing, taking notes, remote desktops, reading books and displaying photos. It doesn't replace a real computer by any means and shouldn't be expected to.

A con for me is that there isn't delete or arrow keys. This makes editing text a bit tedious because you have to long touch in the text section to accurately position the cursor. The backspace key or highlight cut/copy by touch are the only correction/edit mechanisms I've found so far. Also, with the Apple cover on, it won't fit the docking stand. So since I really like the cover, I'll trim off a section to make it fit.

It’s too big for an eBike display IMO.

chaster said:
No promises, but just thought I'd toss that out to you since we're pretty high on the Android platform because of its' Open-ness.
these claims of open-ness or lack thereof are hilarious. Android is so open that it's apps can only be run on an Android phone. iphone stuff works on a iphone.

Are you also upset that xbox games don't work on your wii?

Darn you straight to heck Nintendo for not being "open"!

will_newton said:
chaster said:
No promises, but just thought I'd toss that out to you since we're pretty high on the Android platform because of its' Open-ness.
these claims of open-ness or lack thereof are hilarious. Android is so open that it's apps can only be run on an Android phone. iphone stuff works on a iphone.

Yes but how many cell phone manufacturers can offer the iPhone OS on their phones? 1. Android can be used by any cell manufacturer who wishes to use it, increasing the openness of the OS.

will_newton said:
But with Apple stuff, you have to go thru some pretty tight hoops to get them to let you develop stuff for their platform that will use certain protocols/etc, and some things are apparently not even available to developers for "security reasons", like serial port access.

That's a difference in "open-ness" that Android and other non-Apple OSs have the advantage in, for the developer and the end user (because the end user then gets more features and possibilities available in apps than the Apple stuff).

Some of the Apple restrictions make some sense in that they want to make sure apps for it are really compatible and "work", so that they don't get so many tech support calls at Apple about how someone's Apple product doesn't work with someone else's app.

But some of the restrictions don't make much sense to me.

I think an Apple product would be the wrong way to go on this. The things just don't work well with this type of hackery. Not to mention....most expensive gauges, ever.

I'm thinking about using a STM Primer 2 as a way to display cycle analyst data in a different way (and log it).

http://www.stm32circle.com/hom/index.php

There was some discussion a while back about an iphone app being developed but it has stalled

If I wanted a bigger display, I would go with the upcoming 1.3 GHz Snapdragon powered 7" Android 2.2 powered tablets

Find one with USB/video camera (to post videos of racing around on ES) removable battery and a 7" display is about the biggest thing my bars can handle. Figure the 7" wazoo tablet will run $150 to $250 which is enough for a big display so I'll take a big pass on throwing a $600 to $800 tablet on a bicycle. Something about the display costing more than the hub motor and controller combined somehow feels like my priorities are in the wrong place.

The removable battery is a must so you can BS the spouse into buying a 11.1V 13 amp hour LiPo pack for the "display". Wire it in as a booster :roll:

As far as the Apple VS Android war goes, I am looking at the hardware. The Intel Atom system on a chip processor fabbed at 32nM should give me a computer in the pocket that makes phone calls. One Light Edge fiber optic 10 Gb/sec connector on the bottom to transmit everything to a hub so I can doc my "phone" to a large monitor/keyboard/track ball and speakers for use at home. What OS will it run? Win7 with Phone7 overlay? Google Chrome OS? Apple OS? Personally, I don't really care but I doubt it will run Apple since Intel says it does Win7 and Android/Chrome. Since Apple wants to design their own chips, probably won't end up on the iPhone5 or 6. The Intel SoC design will roll out later this year at 45nM and next year at 32nM. Figure tablets/netbooks this year and with half the power requirements...maybe a pocket computer that makes phone calls next year?

Samsung will have 42" OLED screens next year, throw one of those on your bars!

will_newton said:
chaster said:

My wii does play my xbox games, DVDs and more = )_

On a serious note... imho the iPad is too big for a display on an ebike or lev, the iPhone / iPod is just about perfect now if you have a weather proof holder (biologic)

-Mike

grindz145 said:
I'm thinking about using a STM Primer 2 as a way to display cycle analyst data in a different way (and log it).
Yes; this I'd like to see. (really, I wish I could find a person to program the ebike computer system I tried to come up with, which would run on one of those and be able to control the bike via the expansion port board, custom built to do the tasks--it would include everything up to the motor controller's brain, just telling the power section located near the motor what to do).

The only cycle app Ive seen for ipad is http://tinyurl.com/2cwq6l5
As for openness of phone OS, nothing beats windows mobile. This thing is so open that you can install android right out of the box for dual boot Windows Mobile or Android. You can develop your own programs without any fuss from Microsoft or anyone. You can hack it without any type of "jailbreaking" right out of the box. You can install programs and run programs from the SD card, true multitasking, none of that pause the program in the background crap. You can install difference interfaces, dial pads and software keyboards just to name a few. Of course you can "hardSPL" it and install any pre-released winmo 6.5.x and hack it even more. The reasons why WinMo is not a popular OS are the poor resistive touch which requires stylus, occasional freezing (to some, constant freezing) and it's an OS for industrial equipment.

Guys, just a reminder about touch screens: the capacitive touch sensor on an iPhone/iPad won't work for someone wearing leather motorcycle gloves.

You do all wear gloves when riding, don't you?

amberwolf said:
grindz145 said:
Yes; this I'd like to see. (really, I wish I could find a person to program the ebike computer system I tried to come up with, which would run on one of those and be able to control the bike via the expansion port board, custom built to do the tasks--it would include everything up to the motor controller's brain, just telling the power section located near the motor what to do).

This is doable... I'm going to focus first on just importing, displaying, and logging serial data from the cycle-analyst.

The battery in this thing is pathetic :mrgreen:

MikeB said:
Guys, just a reminder about touch screens: the capacitive touch sensor on an iPhone/iPad won't work for someone wearing leather motorcycle gloves.

You do all wear gloves when riding, don't you?

you're not actually going to mess with the screen while riding are you?

grindz145 said:
This is doable... I'm going to focus first on just importing, displaying, and logging serial data from the cycle-analyst.
Theoretically that should be easy; though things I have tried less complex than that tend to not work in perplexing ways. :?

If you ever want to try creating an entire control system, I wrote out a lot of "specifications" and ideas for what it would need to do and why, back when I first got the Primer1 and was inspired by it. A few people have said they were interested in creating it, but then just fell of the face of the planet, and I finally gave up on the idea.

The battery in this thing is pathetic :mrgreen:
Fortunately that is easily fixed, with a little DC-DC to your pack. ;)

In the Primer1 I have, there are two little AAA NiMH cells soldered in there, purported to be around 5 or 600 mAh, but I think they are closer to less than half that. When I was using it a fair bit trying to learn how to program (failed) I just left it plugged in all the time I was not actively using it away from the computer. I think I killed the batteries once just trying to "win" at the little pacman clone game in it.

It'd be interesting if whatever you come up with would also work on the Primer1, but there are significant differences even in their RTOS, so it's unlikely.

Get a Viliv X70 or Viliv S5. One is a 7" tablet while the other is 4.8" They run windows xp and atom processors. iPad is a watered down tablet pc. Much harder to work with. The plus side is the Viliv have internal GPS. Install Street deck and you have a 7" GPS navigation.

ngocthach1130 said:
Get a Viliv X70 or Viliv S5. One is a 7" tablet while the other is 4.8" They run windows xp and atom processors. iPad is a watered down tablet pc. Much harder to work with. The plus side is the Viliv have internal GPS. Install Street deck and you have a 7" GPS navigation.

Thats what runs on the Mavizen motorcycle.....

S5 starts at $500, X70 starts at $600....

not really budget minded IMHO.... true, its a nice little unit, but way too expensive.....

True. But the title of this post started with an iPad. About the same ball park so i wasn't going with budget minded suggestion. A lot of carputer people uses it. As far as software. Try MP3Car.com . I think a few people have uses to pull data from their car so they'll have suggestion. At the same time the Viliv uses resistive touch screen so motorcycle glove still work.

One other suggestion is HP Slate. But supposedly release date is June. capacitive touchscreen, window platform, price competitive to ipad. Kinda iffy since HP bought palm though. Rumor said it's canceled.

I'd use something a lot cheaper like the joggler (£50), http://yourfamily.o2.co.uk/o2familyjoggler/ or the Airgoo media pad.
You can put linux on these (the joggler already is) so there is no problem with restrictive app or device policies preventing you from doing things.

Back