Front Suspension

General Discussion about electric vehicles.
mclovin   100 W

100 W

Front Suspension

Post by mclovin » Jun 23 2010 6:26pm

I just put a front shock fork on my ebike and what a difference it makes! It's has always been an little "chattery" when I plow over the road at 20+ mph but now with the front shock system it's SSSOOOO smooth. I should have done this long ago. Mybe next I will try out a thus buster for that "full" suspension feel.

I'm starting to think that suspensions are a must for ebikes that go 20+ mph. :mrgreen:

John in CR   100 GW

100 GW

Re: Front Suspension

Post by John in CR » Jun 24 2010 1:29pm

mclovin wrote:I just put a front shock fork on my ebike and what a difference it makes! It's has always been an little "chattery" when I plow over the road at 20+ mph but now with the front shock system it's SSSOOOO smooth. I should have done this long ago. Mybe next I will try out a thus buster for that "full" suspension feel.

I'm starting to think that suspensions are a must for ebikes that go 20+ mph. :mrgreen:
Suspension or very very smooth roads.

dogman dan   100 GW

100 GW

Post by dogman dan » Jun 27 2010 5:00am

I'm a big fan of full suspension bikes. Costly for nice bikes, but my beat up body really appreciates even the tiny improvement you get with the cheap ones . I very very rarely break a spoke.

ElectricEd   100 W

100 W

Post by ElectricEd » Jul 02 2010 12:35am

I converted to front suspension back in the early 90s just after front forks became available. There's a downhill section of a track nearby that used to give me blurred vision because of the many exposed tree roots crossing it. I had to average the blur to keep in the middle of the track. :shock: The first time I rode down it with front suspension, I could see everything and increased the top speed by 15KmH. :P
The suspension gives you much more control over bumpy ground and is a life saver when you really need it. I now have full suspension and even though this presents some problems for battery mounting, I'd never go back.
It also keeps the high G loading off the battery mounting points, so you are less likely to have that long walk home. :(
Bike: Giant ATX 990
Motor: Crystalyte 408 Rear
Controller: Crystalyte V2 40A
Battery: Ping 48V 15 AH LiFePO4. Charged by the Sun
Computer: Cycle Analyst - best thing since sliced bread was invented
Daily Commute: 27 km to the salt mine, return 27 km to bliss

georgefromvt   1 kW

1 kW

Post by georgefromvt » Jul 03 2010 7:41am

Cost? My R Martin has front suspension but it's not adjustable. Thinking of changing the forks to a better quality. Did you do it yourself or pay a bike shop? What's the average cost? Thanks.
Attachments
blue_r12_electric_bike-370x247.jpg
blue_r12_electric_bike-370x247.jpg (18.01 KiB) Viewed 315 times