PVC Quad NEV ...

rsisson

100 W
Ok, It is ALMOST done...

It is a "Side Kick" by American Speedster.

Costs about $500 for al the PVC and the custom Metal bits.

I added a Phoenix Racer Motor and Crystalyte 4840 Controller.
It came with Dual handbrake switches, throttle with Battery Monitor, Cruse controll, 48V SLA 17Ahr batteries and 48V charger.

Got Boat seats (2 for $50) and headlights (12v Landscape Spots) and will soon add rear running lights and the requisite 48-12v stepdown unit.

Last test run (yes the one where things fell of and broke) I had it up to 25Mph with no pedalling. At that speed I found out what still needed some extra Glue, and that the steering is a bit TOO touchy.

I added the Orange brake pads and tightened them up a LOT, actually re-installed them to get better mechanical advantage... Still, it is a lot to ask of bike brakes to haul 300#'s (Me plus the SK) down from 25Mph.. Add another passanger or groceries and, well, I don't think I am going to go that fast on uneven surfaces again...

Nice thing about it, is if I don't like the frame, It might cost me $200 to rebuild it shorter/taller/wider/longer...etc...

Very nice!

You could recover your costs by selling ads for a local plumber on the back and sides. 8)

Very nice! Heck, could almost build a car that way if you used enough hub motors. Some fenders and panels and no one would know what is underneath :D

i agree - a small citycar would be an amazing project. Pitty you'd have to get it registered, and everything else associated with it. At least in Australia I'm pretty sure they won't let you register something that has 4 wheels as a motorcycle (thus meaning you'd have to build it as a car, and also conform to the saftey standards :( )

I'd love to build a velomachine style trike like the one knoxie found on that motorway. It'd be perfect for those wet days where ebiking just isn't safe. could make it all wheel drive too with light weight puma motors - that would rock. its a pitty you can't get electric motors built into car wheels ... yet!

I need 2 dig out my cad program and start designing it as the next project.

Nice thought BigH!
Hmm, a light weight body on the new trike!
Its already in the pipeline, just gotta decide whether to make a full body, or just a front/rear fairing.
Was actually thinking of something like a front cowl, a la F1, and maybe a tail box with some storage.

Freddyflatfoot said:
Nice thought BigH!
Hmm, a light weight body on the new trike!
Its already in the pipeline, just gotta decide whether to make a full body, or just a front/rear fairing.
Was actually thinking of something like a front cowl, a la F1, and maybe a tail box with some storage.

Hey rob - yeah my ideas are a bit different, having something with a wide front track with all 3 wheels full enclosed in the body( solar racer style but only one rear wheel, using the front to steer like a kmx. The front would also end up looking like a miniture mclaren f1 i'm thinking hehehe.

I do like your F1 idea. I have access to some good people for design (dad and best mate work at an airline, dad is an engineer (and has access to good cad programs, mate works as an aircraft mech, and can build parts), Fuse on the forums is doing a computer animation course at uni, and ex student of mine is also into industrial design and has built some beatiful sketches of things. But i want a full covered machine. There will be a lot of car related parts on it as i intend it to be fully registerable (ie lights signals etc). All lights will be LEDs too :)

I'm also thinking of keeping it almost fully enclosed with mirrors working inside the device. I'm unsure if it will use any peddles though, might just make it electric only... in which case design will be substantially easier.

I'm thinking of running 3 puma motors at 72v on 24" wheels to give good hill cimbing ability. Body would be made of fibreglass initially for the concept, and carbon fibre if it works well. I'd probably limit the range to 100kph and use lifebatts as the powersource

edit: just in time, Crude oil has gone to $90.46 a barrel.

Back