Brushless Motor saturation?

magudaman

10 kW
I have a Kollmorgan 24 Volt brushless motor laying around and really wanted to use an external controller to really push this little motor (burned up the internal one). I was thinking something like 33v but 75-100a sensorless. I recall when I was running this motor on 24v it was able to do 50 amps but with the high voltage I would imagine it could do more. Of course I plan on doing force air cooling.

I have heard around the board of motor saturation under high voltage, high current applications, what is this? Will I run into this with this motor? Also do I risk instant failure by popping a internal winding or will it heat up before that?

I wouldn't worry about saturation that much. I'd worry more about melting the windings. Both will happen at a high enough current.

According to knoxie, the rotor flies apart somewhere around 60v. To get maximum power, I think you'd want to run 48v. I don't think it will handle 50 amps for very long, but fine for several seconds.

As you increase the current, the torque increases. If you keep increasing the current, you reach magnetic saturation of the iron, beyond which you don't get much more torque but a lot more heating. The idea is to limit the current below the saturation point. On my BMC motor, I think it saturates around 80 amps. If you go into saturation for a second or so on takeoff, it won't hurt anything. The saturation current will be higher than the maximum heating limited current.

I don't think the magnets will be an issue with the Kollmorgen. If you crank the current up high enough, it's possible to demagnetize the magnets depending on what kind of material they are. This is mainly an issue for ceramic magnets.

The windings are pretty skinny. I don't think they'll take more than 40 amps for any length of time. You can find out :twisted:

If you want to run a lower voltage / higher current, you could rewind the stator. I can't remember if they are delta or wye connected stock. If it's wye, you could switch it to delta to get this effect. If it's delta, your only option would be to rewind the copper. The RC motors have like 10 turns.

Back