Theft control.

Germwise

1 mW
A lot of people are putting in a lot of time and effort into their home made EV's. A lot of these are really starting to become practical to go to stores/work and back.

My question is: how do you keep them from being stolen? I used to live in a smaller town and I could leave my car unlocked with the windows down. Now I live in Columbus OH where bikes left on racks overnight are found missing unattached parts and/or vandalized.

I realize I would never park an EV outside over night but unlike most of you, I live in an apartment.

How do you keep your Sidekick/BUGE/Nice Modded bike from being stolen while you are in the store?

--Marcelo

Run the chain/cable thru the rims and tires and frame..

I mistakenly ran my locking cable thru my front hub motor spokes (only) and to a bike rack. When I returned the cable was wedged between the frame supports and the rims and it was extremely difficult to remove.
Obviously someone turned the throttle and spun the wheel while I was in the store. I probably left the power switch on by mistake or someone was smart enough to turn it on. (My set-up is not keyed)
Open to suggestions how to secure controller and/or throttle.

For that I would put a hidden "park" off switch somewhere on the bike. Say inside the battery pack. that way when you park it somewhere public you can kill power with a switch that no one is likely to find.

What do you do if someone is messing with your bike /jams it? Aside from yelling at them, I don't think calling the cops will do much.

On the one hand kids will be kids but on the other, if jamming your wheels causes damage to a 2000 dollar bike, people need to keep their sticky fingers off of it. After all, people aren't playing with motorcycles while they are parked.

One thing is that tying it that way works for bikes.

What about a scooter? Where do you tie it?

What about an NEV such as the sidekick, the BugE? Those will almost certainly have to take up a parking spot, do you chain it? Even with an off switch its not that difficult to pick up and drive off with or even push off.

And what about vandalism. You park a nice shiny electric vehicle that looks different and snap, there goes your covering/ cowling because someone tried to pick it up from a non-structural part.

I haven't had this happen but I wouldn't be surprised with a "different" looking vehicle on the parking lot for a long time.

--Marcelo

I am definetely not an expert. I am just getting into EV's but I would suggest.

Batteries + ------------------------- Controller---- ETC
- ---------- (Switch)-----

The fuse seems like a good idea but its a bit more involved than a switch. Plus depending on which fuse you'll have to open something up, pull out the fuse and hope you don't dmg it/ lose it.

--Marcelo

On the trike there's a run/kill/brake toggle that I always leave in the kill position which opens the relays to the motors. There is also an on/off toggle for each controller and a breaker between each controller and the battery pack, but they are inside the trailer and I never fool with them during short stops. I forgot to remove my cable lock running through one of the trike rear wheels once. Sort of a sinking feeling when it jerked to a stop during initial throttling. Didn't hurt anything. Hope not to do that again. :D

On the bike there is no kill switch, but I left the dinky little key that came on the controller, and it is easy to turn off and remove the key.

I FUGLYfied my ride.

I do lock it.

I also carry my Emolis in a shoulderbag. They're worth up to 12x the bike, depending on how many I pack.

Attachments

• IMG_2865sm.JPG
    IMG_2865sm.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 3,112
Germwise said:
On the one hand kids will be kids but on the other, if jamming your wheels causes damage to a 2000 dollar bike, people need to keep their sticky fingers off of it. After all, people aren't playing with motorcycles while they are parked.

I have been a motorcycle rider for years, and yes, people do play with motorcycles while they are parked. I have found all kinds of things done to my bikes when I have come out. A lot of the times I don't think it was malicious, just some kid seeing a really cool bike and wanting to 'play' like he was riding it, and not realizing that they were hitting switches that shouldn't have been hit. Sometimes it was very malicious. Having bikes get stolen is a serious problem. The bottom line is, if they want it, they will get it, unless you are right there to stop them. Real thieves know how to get past any lock or alarm system out there. The point is to try to make it as hard as possible, so that another vehicle nearby might seem better to them because it is easier. Lock the tires, frame, steering if possible (I know you are talking about a bicycle, but you get the idea.) I have been seeing a battery cutoff switch with a removable 'key' for sale at harbor freight, maybe something like that would be good for this situation.
And, unfortunately when it does happen and you catch them, you need to make a strong point that it is unacceptable for them to even touch your ride.
For the guy that accidently started to ride off with the lock in place. This is also very common with motorcycle riders. We tend to use a disk lock to keep the wheel from rolling very far, but it is disastrous. One way to help prevent this is to have a cable that attatches from the lock to your throttle input, so that you see it before you ever try to throttle up.
And another thing, we need to watch out for each other. If you see someone messing with someone elses stuff, say something just like it was yours.

Jay64 said:
And, unfortunately when it does happen and you catch them, you need to make a strong point that it is unacceptable for them to even touch your ride.

Yeah, ya see, that's really wimpy & impotent.
At least that's how I feel when I catch someone in the act & there's not a damn thing I can do about it.
These lo-lifes are like flies on shit.
You can shoo them away but they're right back at it once your back is turned.
Let's face it, wagging your finger & a stern lecture doesn't sink in.
They already know that they're doing wrong & don't give a damn.

So my response has been to not say a word, unlock my bike ride off a few hundred feet.
Then looping around to a make a strafing pass with the water bottle.
Hopefully timing it right to leave him with a wet head & a memorable impression that doing wrong comes at a price.

I know some might say that it could come back to haunt me & he might retaliate but the line in the sand has to be drawn somewhere & freedom costs.
They are one in the wrong after all, so I would hope they're smart enuf to realize they got off easy, that someone else may not be as forgiving & just maybe he'll reconsider his career choice.

Toorbough ULL-Zeveigh said:
So my response has been to not say a word, unlock my bike ride off a few hundred feet.
Then looping around to a make a strafing pass with the water bottle.
Hopefully timing it right to leave him with a wet head & a memorable impression that doing wrong comes at a price.

Wimpy & impotent. And still legally assult. Confrontation is the worst possible outcome.

Deterrence is the best strategy. Your ride should say in many ways "Do Not Touch".

Fake puke on the seat is a good one.

Whoops_gallery.jpg

But seriously,

I'd even consider putting drawstring bags over the grips & levers... fast, easy and keeps 'em dry & snow-free.

:D

TylerDurden said:
And still legally assult.

Thought someone might point that out.

1. Do you really think he's gonna call a cop?
2. Was having a drink & it slipped.

And you're right that a cop would be quick to arrest me, yet do nothing about someone stealing a bike, why is that?
Almost seems like they're in cahoots.

I disagree that it's impotent.
It was getting intolerable & it's considerable better now.
Plus I've heard indirectly thru third a party of word getting around (the person telling me didn't have a clue that I was the one involved in the story he'd heard) , so some confirmation it's having a deterrent effect.

I'm not looking to harm anyone.
Just something that's equally annoying reflected back at them.
Like Merv Griffen would say, there needs to be some Jeopardy attached.
The way it stands now there's no consequence therefore no risk for them to try.
There has to be a cause & effect relationship or they just don't get it.
Their momma should have taught them this (if they had one).

Thanks guys for the nightmare I had last night! :shock: I dreamt I just rode my bike for the last time of the season, when I came back to get it, my battery pack was gone brake cables cut and the hub motor wheel damaged with the tube sticking out of the tire.... Did I mention the dream was in color?

Anyways I was thinking that an alarm would be nice and I stumbled on this site that has a simple motion detection device with a 110db alarm for 10 bucks! 8)

I will go ahead and get one and make a little review for the forum, since we are all in the same boat so to speak.

http://www.virtualvillage.com/items/item.aspx?itemid=4380934&utm_source=baseusa&utm_medium=shopping

If this thing is any good, it might make a neat and tidy solution for us. Plus, we can add it easily to our bikes. If not, what's ten bucks to a ebike rider?

Edit: I just ordered it and it is coming direct from Shanghai China...so maybe I should have shopped around. On the other hand, lets see how long this transaction takes and also see what I get for my money. :wink:

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 2,710
^^^ I like it.

I have a laptop cable-lock that has motion sensor, but its lower setting is still is too sensitive for my bike. False alarms are annoying to everybody.

:D

Price seems about right EMF, i"ve thought about buying it from eBay

So far I've just used a lock and chain, but thinking about a proper motorcycle alarm like this..

I have a key switch. but thats it.
If they really want my bike they can easily carry or drag it to a trailer

Coincidentally, usatracy on the V forum has been checking out a cheap GPS tracking system which will show the real time position at http://www.mologogo.com/ he's also been integrating it with Google Maps. It may be a bit harder to stash it on an ebike than a scooter but could be an option for some.

Toorbough ULL-Zeveigh said:
Jay64 said:

Yeah, ya see, that's really wimpy & impotent.
At least that's how I feel when I catch someone in the act & there's not a damn thing I can do about it.

:lol: My bad, I guess I didn't make myself clear. I didn't mean to imply that I would just talk to them about it. Some of the strongest points I have ever made in my life were made without any words what-so-ever. Granted the level of 'messing' with my bike determines the level of the point I make. If some kid is just innocently touching 'a really cool looking bike', then words are appropriate. If someone is maliciously taking something off or trying to remove the bike from where I had left it, then my breaker bar helps to make my point. I have had too many $10,000 motorcycles stolen to take any of that lightly.

That alarm is along the lines of what I was talking about in making your bike a bad choice for them. Sure, if the REALLY want your bike, that won't stop them. But it more then likely will scare away the oportunistic thief that just happens to see it and wants to take your bike out for a joy ride. Once that alarm goes off and starts attracting attention, more then likely he will move on to another bike that will draw less attention.

Movement alarms sound like a good idea, as is a decent chain/cable lock.
The new elation bike kit comes with an integrated bike alarm, so could be an option.
Most kits come with a keyed switch, so thats always a good option to disable the electrics.
I try and park my bike so that its visible from where I'm going, but thats not always possible. so chaining it to something solid/immovable is the next best option.
Another option that I have thought of, but have not seen, is some sort of steering lock that could be fitted to a bike. Hmmm, maybe a new enterprise?
The very nature of a bike does make it a likely target though.
I ride my bike or trike to work, and park it in the foyer! Very good security, and its out of the weather. So a secure parking area is another option.
I once had a bike stolen from my son from a supermarket (bad place). My son let me know, just as I was finishing work, so kept an eye out while I was driving home, and guess what! saw the little s***! Jumped out of my car and arrested the little turd! But doesn't always work out that well.
Anyway, good to see that we aware of looking after our investments.

Gregory said:
So far I've just used a lock and chain, but thinking about a proper motorcycle alarm like this..
I use a lock and cable of course as well.

That's a very nice system you spotted on eBay and I'm watching it. It will be 5 days before bidding ends. If a guy could get this cheap enough, it could be quite useful as it would seem real easy to utilise the remote engine start or cut-off function for our bikes. For instance, by putting that relay in series with the on off button for a Crystalyte controller. I guess the system runs on 12 volts, but we could provide this voltage from our packs.

Too bad the battery we used is too big and we're striving for less volatility. Otherwise imagine packing your battery under the bike seat with some start up procedure only you would know. Not doing it and the battery can be shorted to cause massive fire. Burning their nuts off might serve as a very good deterrent. I guess i'm a proponent of capital punishment. If i'm allowed to clip off finger of people i caught trying to steal my car then they might think twice about breaking in. BTW where i live my car got broken into 5 time when i owned the car for 1 year period. At one point it was just ridiculous. If only there is car thieves hunting season pass we could apply for. Imagine, setting up your car as bait and setting up camouflaged gear on your roof and pick off car thieves with deer hunting rifle. Oh how much fun we could have.

ngocthach1130 said:
Oh how much fun we could have.

That wouldn't even be a challenge. Creativity is called for:

:arrow: Leave the keys in the ignition... covered in super-glue.

:arrow: Leave the doors unlocked and a doberman in the backseat.

:arrow: Have a fuel cutoff after 60sec and the doors automatically lock and a siren goes off... inside.

:arrow: Disable the ignition. Put a keypad on the dash with the 4 digit PIN written on it: if the PIN gets entered, pepper-gas with dye is released.

8)

Back