Audi / Auto Union Type C 1/4scale replica build electric

Samd

10 MW
Well, this isn't an ebike build, or a scooter, or a large car. So I'll just stick this here.
Some time ago I spotted a pedal car that Audi released at half scale. I thought I would copy, electrify, and halve the scale again. Cheaply.
Power to be limited so as to go slower than about 5kph. My kids aren't hoons yet!
It's based on the Auto Union (Audi) Grand Prix cars of the 1930's. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto_Union_Type_C
2007-Auto-Union-Type-C-Pedal-Car-Front-And-Side-1280x960.jpg
As part of Audi's e-tron program they have subsequently decided to electrify them > perhaps at ten thousand GBP they didnt sell many pedal cars and needed a strategy to move the stock! Looks good in black carbon.
1.epcp_1103_05_o+audi_auto_union_type_c_etron_study+.jpg
This is my build log. I have to back-date some posts with build status, so bear with me....

So I set about scaling the beastie.
I did some modeling in Google sketchup and came up with a good compromise between scale and wheel diameter. Wheels are expensive. Halving the pedal car scale gives a wheel diameter close to 200mm, perfect match to the wheels off a $20 hand truck/trolley. And a good shaft to suit.
RedTrolley08613.png

Thinking about the shape chassis I have gone with a design that is 9mm ply layers for the base with 42mmx19mm pine to space it out, a bit like the old lotus subframes of the 1970's.
2.DSC_1459.jpg

I busted out the plywood, glue and jigsaw, and made up a subframe to suit some kick steering like the old kids' billycart setup.

4.DSC_0403.jpg

5.DSC_0417.jpg

The resulting structure is nice and strong, and will allow me to put some ribs over the top to form the body shape.
I need to plane the 42x19mm pine back to suit the outline of the ply, and make the subframe all nice and smooth yet. In the photo it's just square blocks seperating the two layers.

I've chosen a powerplant - the back end of a kid's kick scooter. They come fitted with a 24v 100w motor.
REAR.jpg

I have modded it to take the center shaft of the hand truck at the back, and made up a laminated block to mount it all in at the back. I will feed it a lot less than the nominated voltage to regulate speed.

I am thinking of a 'parental remote control' by using a 3mm headphone jack on a lead as I walk behind, if I pull the lead then it will cut power to a relay.

My chief crash test dummy is liking the idea....
Front wheels fitted to kick steering. Back end held up by dad for testing purposes.

6b.DSC_0737.jpg

My dad is loving the idea of the project, he turned up recently with a steering unit that he welded up from scratch for the front end...
Should be much more fun than the kick steering.
You can make it out at the front.
I've also made a seat from the cutout of the top piece of ply...
2012-01-16 12.47.36.jpg

My powerplant is sitting at the back in-situ. I need to smooth that subframe out next and mount the steering and power unit for testing, before those kids get too big!

8.2012-01-16 12.47.46.jpg

Samd said:
I am thinking of a 'parental remote control' by using a 3mm headphone jack on a lead as I walk behind, if I pull the lead then it will cut power to a relay.

I would advise against this. You're not doing your kids any favors by taking away the extremely tiny danger this imposes. The sooner kids get the opportunity to have there own risk in there own hands, the safer/better/wiser/smarter adults they are going to become.

Following behind them with a safety shut-down is almost like the definition of a "helicopter parent", hovering behind there kid to neutralize any 'dangers' they may encounter. Terrible for the kid.

Jarvis is two LFP, he is still getting the hang of walking. I meant it for him.

Mieke will be fine - limited by the max voltage. But thanks for the parenting lessons.

Bump :p
Sam and I were talking about this yesterday, both working on similar sorts of ebilly karts for our kids.

Sam, is that scooter drive from oatley electronics? Got much guts? I was looking at getting one for a different project (sliding gate opener on the cheap). I'll post some pics of other pedal cars that might be of interest when I get home

Yeah, it is the Oatley unit - couldn't recall where I got it yesterday!

I bashed out the main shaft and replaced it with the shaft from the red trolley from supercheap. Bingo - two wheel drive!

It has a 150watt motor on it that goes from about a 15mm dia cog/belt up to about a 100mm dia pulley, so it should throw out a bit of torque. I reckon a linear gate drive would take about as much energy to get moving as a 150kg fatty on a scooter. I guess its all a question of speed!

Hey I owe you a pic of some cyclecarts!

Here's one for the grownups. Cycle karts use a 250cc twostroke from memory. A coupla direct drive hubs up rear would be cool I reckon.

Plywood tub, easy peasy.
http://www.cyclekarts.com/

I like the twin tire hill climb cars and the rekordwagon of Bernd Rosemeyer.

Those look pretty cool!
I saw some of these while away and thought they'd be great for a quick and easy EV conversion

Safari_1.jpg

The rail the seat sits on is adjustable so you could slide it back for adults on the shorter side.
Brakes seemed to be only a hand brake style lever that just pivoted a bar across the back wheels, which is good for low speed fun but could land you in trouble with big power!

I think if I was going to make one of those ply ones I'd make it a big coffin! At the risk of temping fate... :lol:

Actually you could tip a wheelie bin on its side and cut a hole in the top and youd have a makeshift cyclekart!

I've never done that before.

....while sober :mrgreen:

On the way home from the pub one night back in the day a mate fell and twisted his ankle so badly he couldn't walk on it at all. Sticking to the motto of never leaving a man behind we did the good service of taking him the rest of the way home in a wheelie bin :lol:

Cleaned up my mancave. Found two other drive options i forgot i had. Need to finish it. Kids are growing.

Oh and theres a nine inch dia by 15inch long forklift traction motor over the back. That'd scare the littlies.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121121_224208.png
    ForumRunner_20121121_224208.png
    138.2 KB · Views: 5,285
Never did finish this as the kids got too big to fit the scale. Kind of in love with a full scale modern version though.
8b567488ccbd9bb7ccf666beda32c485.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sub'd

You trying to prod him to build something after all? Maybe when I get home i'll hunt up one or two cyclekart threads I know are here somewhere. I gotta get the work on my Model D myself.

Back