Trikke Pon-e 48v Human/electric hybrid vehicle

axle_t-techie

10 µW
Just to disclose, I am an employee of the Trikke company. That said, I am also an avid rider of both the strictly body powered line of vehicles, and the electric line of vehicles. I personally use one of the Trikke Pon-e 48v for my daily commute to work to save gas and reduce my carbon footprint. Simply said, I love, LOVE, my pon-e.

I snagged the specs from the trikke website:
– Foldable lightweight robust frame built with
aircraft grade aluminum AL6061
– Fully adjustable handlebars
– Dual disc brakes with parking lock
– Aluminum rims with Abec5 sealed bearings
10" front 9.5" rear, motorcycle grade tires
– slick aerodynamic design fairing,
UV resistant and impact absorbing ABS.
– 350W brushless free-wheel hub motor
(550W peak power)
– 48V-11.25Ah Panasonic lithium-ion quick-swap battery
– 46lbs with battery – 37lbs w/out battery
– 18mph (25km/h) max speed – motor only
– 24 miles (38km) range
– 3h recharge time (full)

* Suggested Weight Limit: 250 lbs
* Suggested Height Range: 5' to 6'3"
* Recommended Ages: 12+

I seriously recommend giving these a shot. You can use it for in-town commuting or small runs to the store, and it is a blast while you save your gas.

CartMIDDLEimage48vWhite.png

Aren't these illegal on most public streets and sidewalks?

gogo said:

a lot of electric vehicles are sold "for private property use".
The laws governing small EV's seem to be too restricting, so they are laws some choose not to obey.

This design looks like a lot of fun.
Why are the back wheels .5" smaller than the front ?

Who's going to be the first to dump 5kw+ into one of those things!?!? I wanna see massive fwd trike burnouts.

They cost nowhere near 5k... The highest end model lands in at a cost of $2,200. If you enter a coupon code (sblocal), you can get a 5% discount at the manufacturers website. You can get a second battery to double your distance (they don't weigh much) and still be at around only $3,000. That would be 40 miles distance or so at a possible 17+ mph.

I personally use one daily for my 7 mile commute to work. LOVE IT. Saved approx. $400 in gas since November just using it for distances within 9 miles of my house.

5kw = 5,000w = 6.6 horsepower = fun not boring like 500w. Now that you say they are $2k dollars I think your freaking crazy. I'm building a fully street capable electric motorbike for less than that. If I ever was crazy/stupid enough to enter the light EV market I could make a street legal motorbike for under $2k cost sold with a 40% ish margin for >$3k base retail. GLWS = good luck with sales.

Your motorbike simply won't ride like this does. You are speaking from the position of one who has not even experienced what they are ridiculing. Have lots of fun on your motorbike, and I will have fun on my vehicle of choice. I don't think that you are "freaking crazy" for going through the trouble of building your own motorbike that you cannot fit in your trunk and be transported to places you could not reach on the motorbike. No need to be so offensive, I am just introducing a new product and concept for those who don't wish to wrench their own vehicle from the ground up. Good Day.

You cannot really call the trike a "vehicle" ... its a sidewalk scooter, not suitable or even legal for public road use.
Infact, with those small wheels, and no suspension, it would be painful and even dangerous on any normal urban street.
There are good reasons why most bicycles & motorbikes have large diameter wheels !
Keep it to the sidewalks and skateparks.

Actually, I commute 7 miles each way every day on it. I take it off-road, in bike lanes, and on sidewalks. In slower areas, I follow all bicycle laws, and I have been told by many in my heavily cycle related community of solvang, ca that they would rather deal with me than a bicycle on the side of the road. Your legs and hips are a natural shock absorber, and so long as you flow with the vehicle, even larger bumps and pot holes pose no problem.

Again, I am an experienced rider, though, with extensive experience with cycling, motor bikes, and many other alternative forms of transportation, and have ACTUALLY tried things before I judged them to be lacking.

It is far from painful or dangerous. Please, try something before you speak like an expert on the item, it will prevent assumptions from making you look silly.

I thought an electric vehicle forum would have much more open minded people interested in the EV community, not a bunch of naysayers who want only to say that what they ride is the better and everything else is stupid or lacking.

If you don't like it, don't ride it. If you are afraid of new things, go hide in a hole.

EBJ said:
gogo said:

The laws governing small EV's seem to be too restricting, so they are laws some choose not to obey.

The back wheels are slightly smaller due to some mechanical engineering lingo I don't entirely understand, but the design allows for optimized movement when using the human/electric capabilities of the machine. I believe in the body powered models the vehicles front fork was built a little lower rather than changing the size of the tires.

axle_t-techie I would not react that aggressively on other users comments. They actually made a good point and explained why. By this attitude you will attract real trolls to your tread and I do not see any advantages for you or presented product doing that. :D
Welcome to ES!

axle_t-techie said:
EBJ said:
gogo said:

The back wheels are slightly smaller due to some mechanical engineering lingo I don't entirely understand, but the design allows for optimized movement when using the human/electric capabilities of the machine. I believe in the body powered models the vehicles front fork was built a little lower rather than changing the size of the tires.

interesting, so these things can be "pumped" by human-power as well ?
I didn't realize that when I first looked at 'em.

axle_t-techie said:
I thought an electric vehicle forum would have much more open minded people interested in the EV community, not a bunch of naysayers who want only to say that what they ride is the better and everything else is stupid or lacking.

for 2K dollars I can go out and buy a used gasoline vehicle!
It never runs out of charge, is safer to drive, and can fit more people too.
good luck with sales.

lol.

I think your product is pretty sweet. I love seeing new electric vehicles, even if they aren't something I'd buy.
I think the majority of the ppl here would agree, but it seems you only get the critics when you post your own product.

EBJ said:

Yeah, they have always been a human powered thing... a curiousity to me and I've tried them out, but not efficient, take up to much roadway/MUP, climbing really sucks. I see them out on the local bike/pedestrian paths, usually a new rider wiggling around trying to keep it moving without getting in the way of other path users. Some people have good control and can get some speed out of them, but there just doesn't seem to be any advantage other than using a different motion to move a wheeled vehicle. Adding an electric motor may make it a bit more useful for the average person, but still falls into a strange black hole in most places regulations because it isn't a bike... no seat, wheels to small. Thus, it doesn't have the protections of vehicular law and you can be banned from operating it at the whim of anyone in authority.

redorblack said:
EBJ said:

Yeah, they have always been a human powered thing... a curiousity to me and I've tried them out, but not efficient, take up to much roadway/MUP, climbing really sucks. I see them out on the local bike/pedestrian paths, usually a new rider wiggling around trying to keep it moving without getting in the way of other path users. Some people have good control and can get some speed out of them, but there just doesn't seem to be any advantage other than using a different motion to move a wheeled vehicle. Adding an electric motor may make it a bit more useful for the average person, but still falls into a strange black hole in most places regulations because it isn't a bike... no seat, wheels to small. Thus, it doesn't have the protections of vehicular law and you can be banned from operating it at the whim of anyone in authority.

interesting. (I just pictured the "flying turtle" I had when I was younger. lol) I've only ever seen the 2-wheeled "jogging-machine" types. Basically a piece of work-out equipment on 2 wheels. Those are doing the same thing of turning a different motion into movement. It must feel a little like walking on the moon. As you mentioned, beating the efficiency of a bicycle is something most of these vehicles don't do. (I imagine that would be a huge challenge since I can't think of anything more efficient than a bicycle).

Back