[Challenge] For those near LA, I have a hill for you

cal3thousand

10 MW
Just found this hill after watching a youtube on Hi Power Cycles. They took a 8kW 2WD up this 33.3% hill. Supposedly this is the steepest hill in the western US: http://www.walkinginla.com/2004/Feb15/EldredSt.html

I've determined that I need to conquer this hill with my DH rig once it's done (hopefully in a week or two). Has anyone else here done this hill? Anyone want to meet up one day at have a small climbing event?

Here's the video that I watched. Pretty uneventful video, but you get to see how steep it is. I want to hit the hill from a stand still and then take on the stairs at the top of the hill:

[youtube]0lcDTNyo3kU[/youtube]

cal3thousand said:
I want to hit the hill from a stand still and then take on the stairs at the top of the hill.

exactrly! that is a pretty sweet downhill to get some speed built up on before the climb. the stairs would be the true test of the motor system and the bike itself.

If you do it on a Saturday or Sunday I might be willing to drive up from San Diego. I think I could do it with going down the hill and then peddling. I'd give it a try anyway. :D

MD. said:
If you do it on a Saturday or Sunday I might be willing to drive up from San Diego. I think I could do it with going down the hill and then peddling. I'd give it a try anyway. :D

Weekend is doable. Maybe we can get enough people for a little mini ES meet :D

I'd be impressesd only if I saw them get started again after stopping on the slope. Or at least take it from a standing stop at the bottom.

I'm not knocking the hill one bit, just the coast into the climb.

My dirtbike, 9c 2812, on 72v 40 amps should be able to climb it, but not with no pedaling. I start pedaling at about 20%, or twelve degrees. Crazy that that hill is paved. A freind of mine lived in a little known area somewhat near downtown. Visiting her, we parked fearing the car would not stay there, then took the three stories of stairs up the hill to her front door. I couldn't believe houses were built in those hills!

Well first replicate what you saw. Tear it up the hill :p
Then after you finished "ripping it up" start at the bottom, make a YouTube video and send it to HPC :wink:
Make sure you tell them you uses ONE motor :mrgreen:

The way this forum is, im waiting for someone to chime in and say somthing like "Climb it? How about I climb it without dropping below 40mph".

-)

--John

That hill isn't even mildly impressive. It definitely isn't the third steepest hill in the US.........and it's paved! :roll:

On the trails I play on.....at 40mph.....that hill would be considered a time to rest to get ready for the next challenge. :twisted:

Throw some loose gravel, baby head sized rocks, and foot tall ledges in there and start at the bottom with no momentum and I'll be very slightly impressed.....or optimistic about having a riding buddy at least. :wink:

Back