Kelly Controller or hall issue or?

johndjmix

10 W
He y guys, im having a bit of a problem getting the golden motor to work with my kelly controller. Using the golden 5000 watt motor with a kelly KBS controller (I actually will be using a KEB 350 AMP controller, but it had a defect issue and im waiting for a replacement so I have the little KBS on there for now, its a KBS72121L)

First off, there is very very low power. I mean, seems like less than a 250 watt hub motor. Bike cant get over 8mph.

Second if i turn the controller up to full, even with the chain off the motor, it causes an error on the kelly "Frequent Reset" (Ignore when i say "3 and then one" in the video, i looked closer and its just 3, then pause, then 3, then pause...etc). Its three blinks of the diag LED. This is at 72V. Ive tried every possible hall combination, and found the 2 that run smoothly, one in forward and one in reverse, so i dont think thats it. I put a voltmeter on the halls and slowly rotated the motor, and i see each one get a few volts as i turn it, so i would think the halls are ok.

I put up a video on youtube so you can see what i mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=5CRS19PCl28

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=5CRS19PCl28[/youtube]

I'm stumped. Ive spent about 250 hours building this bike, machining parts and so forth, so you can imagine how tough it is not to be able to ride it! I would appreciate any help guys....thanks.

--John

Looks to me like some kind of auto reset breaker -- but hopefully someone else will have an answer. Have you tried limiting your amps to below a certain threshold? Also, that seems a bit high for plain no load amps...

Yea, i can hear a small click right when it happens, as if its an auto reset breaker.

Not really concerned since the normal kelly for the bike will be here in a few days, but curious. The real question here is can you run a large brushless motor with a little controller (and oveously get lower performance from it)?

--John

To my knowledge, yes, assuming proper limits are put in place. Usually melting and burning is what'd cause failure from what I've seen. It'd seem odd for the controller to have a breaker in it, but I'm still rather new. Since you have that CA connected, can you try limiting it to 20 amps and give it a whirl again?

Got it. It was the wrong phase/hall wiring. Took the bike out for a ride. 33mph on the little KBS controller! Cant wait to see what it does on the big KEB!!!

--John

Back