Wire for wiring halls to Xlyte Hub?

NeilP

1 GW
Well the halls arrived yesterday, and I was going to fit them this morning. Two week wait for them due Xmas post, and they finally arrive.
But comments on my other thread about them and the melting of wires etc has made me relaise that I have not get any wire I can use.

Lying in bed last night it occured to me I have no wire...Fuuuuuckkkkk !!! :shock:

It is going to need to be the really thin gauge stuff to fit it in the normal space where it runs, and obviously high temp too.
There is not room for heat shrink over the top, the wires them selves barely pass through the gap.

So any one got any recommendations on what wire to use?

Going to need to be ultra thin and high temp...part number and order reference would be great :wink:

Wondered about this stuff

http://export.rsdelivers.com/product/alpha-wire/5851-3-rd005/red-hook-up-equipment-wire-30awg/1770637.aspx

Available in red,black green yellow and blue.

30 meter reels though :(

anyone else need some hall wire?

I am happy to buy 5 x reels of it if it is suitable then sell lengths back to the forum if anyone is interested.

I measured the OD of the original hall wire and it comes in at a little under 1mm (0.95)

The stuff in the link above is 0.81mm and is good for up to 200 Deg C. that should be just fine. Anyone got any comments before I commit to spending £50 on a wire that may not be any good?

Looks perfect stuff to me but would really value a second opinion before I commit the cash to the order.

Sorry ...shameless bump to the top
someone must have an opinion on this ..pretty please :lol:

This stuff is 30 gauge, 0.8mm
PTFE

original is 0.95

I ordered 5 x 30 m rolls
Red, black, blue, yellow & green

So if anyone needs some PM me

Damn, I would have split it with you, but 30ga is too small for me. I must not make my connections correctly or something, because I have trouble with the really thin stuff.

I spoke to Jeremy Harris before I bought it and it turns out it is exactly the same stuff from the same supplier that he uses.
At first I too wondered if it was too thin, but Jeremy thinks it is just fine.
It is rated to 4 amps, and it is not going to be carrying anything near that, milliamps at most.

I was just thinking about what you said about fitting a capacitor.
How close does it need to be to the halls. Up clise? Or is a few inches away, internally where it comes out the axle?
Would say it is fine there and further away from heat too

NeilP said:
I was just thinking about what you said about fitting a capacitor. How close does it need to be to the halls.
teh chip caps in the fusin gearmotors are all onthe pbc at the halls.

Sorry for the delayed reply, been busy with new house-related stuff over the holidays.

As Neil says, we spoke on the 'phone a couple of days ago about this. I bought some of this thin PTFE wire for Halls a couple of years ago and have found it to be really good. It's a pain to strip, unless you have a decent wire stripper, but pretty tough. Being PTFE it slides through tight spaces easily, too, making it a good choice for feeding through an axle. The only downside is the high price, but Neil and I are going to do some swaps I think (I have rolls of red, black and white - I couldn't justify getting blue green and yellow).

Jeremy Harris said:
The only downside is the high price, but Neil and I are going to do some swaps I think (I have rolls of red, black and white - I couldn't justify getting blue green and yellow).

I could not justify it either, buying all 5 rolls..but did any way, because I forgot to delete them from my order.. :cry: So I ended up with 5 rolls. I though the price was higher than I was expecting, but I had bought a load of other stuff as well, so it also sort of merged together. So now I have all 5 colours.

Will sell lengths of all 5 off at cost plus postage if any one want some

Sure I can send you some..but is it not easier to get some from your end of the world? I do not have the PTFE phase wires but Kenny at Crystalyte will sell you some. They do not do the PTFE hall wire though

I know I'm a little late on this one but I wanted to get it out there for anyone that is looking for wire.

http://www.skycraftsurplus.comwire.aspx

These guys have a section for mil spec wire (right by the top of the page) that will take you to a choice for either shielded or unshielded mil spec wire. In either of these locations you will find both single and multi conductor wire in Teflon and several other exotic insulation substances. As far as I could see they have many options from 8awg to 28 awg. The info generally provides complete descriptions. The best part is that you can order in small quantities (different for different wire types) and the prices are pretty dirt cheap. I ordered some of the five conductor 26awg and got it quick. Sure you have to strip off the outer jacket and it is a pain but really how much length do you need. The really cool part was that the inner conductors each had a different color code stripe that will help keep track of them. Anyway just another place to find some of the hard to find stuff for our passion.

Back