Elon Musk's - Hyperloop

General Discussion about electric vehicles.
User avatar
arkmundi   1 GW

1 GW
Posts: 3149
Joined: Jul 08 2012 11:14am
Location: Worcester, MA USofA

Re: Elon Musk's - Hyperloop

Post by arkmundi » Aug 15 2013 10:17am

Dauntless wrote:
swbluto wrote:The main thing Elon himself says he's NOT GOING TO innovate, here. He just wants someone else to come along and pick up the dropped ball. Nothing will happen. In television, every show has a 'Show Runner.' Pretty much everything in life works that way. He talks about this as though it's his baby then says he's not actually going to do it. Don't tell me he ever got anything done that way. Goofball there is a perfect example of all these sizzling ranters you find posting all over that are going on nothing and yet insisting on marching into the Rhineland with this. But then Goofball looks for those opportunities, doesn't he?

Basically this is not much of a vision. I would expect that he would know better than to think anything would come of this. The big question is, could there be a hidden agenda?
There's always a "hidden agenda". Methinks it that he wants to force the govbureaucraticians to rethink their current plans for a high speed train LA to SF for something better. He did in fact propose something better. And he, Elon Musk, or Tesla is not going to do it because its way out of scope - only the State of California, with DOT funding, is in a position to make something happen. So what he did was right on - public ridicule through a brainy proposal of something FAR, FAR better. So, pleeaasssseeeee, tone it down. I really hate to abandon a good thread discussion because the thread takes a nose dive.

User avatar
bigmoose   100 MW

100 MW
Posts: 2646
Joined: Aug 06 2009 3:05pm
Location: North coast USA
Contact:

Re: Elon Musk's - Hyperloop

Post by bigmoose » Aug 15 2013 10:28am

There's always a "hidden agenda".
Keep an eye on the cash flow issue(s) with SpaceX and Tesla. Being in the press is good publicity when you might be needing more $'s infusion...
"Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God..." all the best, Dave

swbluto   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 9094
Joined: May 30 2008 5:23pm
Contact:

Re: Elon Musk's - Hyperloop

Post by swbluto » Aug 15 2013 12:58pm

arkmundi wrote: Methinks it that he wants to force the govbureaucraticians to rethink their current plans for a high speed train LA to SF for something better. He did in fact propose something better.
Yep, it's pretty obvious he was saying "This idea is better than your super-expensive high-speed rail idea".

Of course, to get this idea into practice requires cooperation from the state, and we'll see how they'll react. Police and politicians have something in common - power trips. You can almost guarantee if it's not their or 'their buddies' idea, it's not going to happen.

User avatar
Chalo   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 7307
Joined: Apr 29 2009 11:29pm
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: Elon Musk's - Hyperloop

Post by Chalo » Aug 15 2013 1:44pm

arkmundi wrote:Methinks it that he wants to force the govbureaucraticians to rethink their current plans for a high speed train LA to SF for something better. He did in fact propose something better.
He proposed something faster and cheaper, with lower environmental impact, but dramatically lower capacity. His proposed system would serve at the maximum 5% to 10% as many passengers as a traditional Japanese-style HSR line can carry.

That's better by some measures but not so good by others. It depends on what demand you are trying to serve.
This is to express my gratitude to Justin of Grin Technologies for his extraordinary measures to save this forum for the benefit of all.

Joseph C.   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1797
Joined: Feb 03 2011 8:43am
Location: Ireland
Contact:

Re: Elon Musk's - Hyperloop

Post by Joseph C. » Aug 15 2013 3:00pm

Chalo wrote:
arkmundi wrote: He proposed something faster and cheaper, with lower environmental impact, but dramatically lower capacity. His proposed system would serve at the maximum 5% to 10% as many passengers as a traditional Japanese-style HSR line can carry.
That, and according to his maps in the original PDF the Hyperloop stops short of both Los Angeles and San Francisco. It's a bit like the Ryanair of public transport.

If they had pods that could carry up to 100 people at 30 second intervals that would give them a capacity of 12,000 people per hour. That's theoretically over 50 per cent of what a High Speed Rail could carry assuming 15 hours of use per day at full capacity. 65 million versus 115 million plus people. I assume every 30 seconds would be too fine a margin and most people would travel during the busy hours.

The speed of the Hyperloop really works against it when trying to approach the carrying capacity of HSR unless you have pods that can carry two or three hundred people at a time. I'd imagine that efficiency would take some hit propelling that amount of mass to over 1,000 km/hr.

Elon also cooked the figures for rail safety, which if you ignore the nuttier third world nations, are just slightly worse than air. The figures from Eurostat are almost one passenger fatality per ten billion kilometres travelled in the EU. High Speed Rail is even safer again. It took nearly three decades for the first fatal accident to occur due to sub-standard engineering in Germany.

The TGV has never had a fatal accident on a high speed line. The Shinkansen has never had a fatal passenger accident travelling over 70 billion passenger kilometres per year.
Yellow Magpie - Home Of The Talented And The Interesting

http://yellowmagpie.com

User avatar
Chalo   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 7307
Joined: Apr 29 2009 11:29pm
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: Elon Musk's - Hyperloop

Post by Chalo » Aug 15 2013 3:20pm

On the plus side, grade separation and tube enclosure are both nice for folks who live, play, and work near the line.
This is to express my gratitude to Justin of Grin Technologies for his extraordinary measures to save this forum for the benefit of all.

User avatar
arkmundi   1 GW

1 GW
Posts: 3149
Joined: Jul 08 2012 11:14am
Location: Worcester, MA USofA

Re: Elon Musk's - Hyperloop

Post by arkmundi » Aug 15 2013 4:54pm

Joseph C. wrote:That, and according to his maps in the original PDF the Hyperloop stops short of both Los Angeles and San Francisco. It's a bit like the Ryanair of public transport. If they had pods that could carry up to 100 people at 30 second intervals ... Elon also cooked the figures for rail safety, which if you ignore the nuttier third world nations, are just slightly worse than air. ...
You know you're just complaining about yourself, don't you? Elon clearly made this as a "first draft" of an open source, open manufacturing proposal. So if the design is faulty, its BECAUSE OF YOU! Rather than engage in constructive criticism via the email he provided, for real improvement in the design, put your critique here in ESland, where it will do not good whatsoever, except maybe piss people off!

User avatar
TylerDurden   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 7177
Joined: Jan 04 2007 5:50pm
Location: Wear the fox hat.
Contact:

Re: Elon Musk's - Hyperloop

Post by TylerDurden » Aug 15 2013 7:41pm

Keep in mind with comparisons to air/hsr/rail the efficiencies of subway-style embarkment: no need to pre-book, pre-clear, extended loading times, wait for gates, etc..

Go to the tube, swipe a card and get on... compared to the pre-departure time spent per person for air or HSR.
Have a Nice Day,

TD

Image
___________________________________________________________

FYI: Adding pictures?

Bored?... take a crack at the unanswered posts

Please post your Watts-at-speed in the survey.



Image

User avatar
Dauntless   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 6960
Joined: May 29 2010 1:49am
Location: Coordinates: 33°52′48″N 117°55′43″W

Re: Elon Musk's - Hyperloop

Post by Dauntless » Aug 16 2013 12:38am

Yeah, Mr. Durden, I'm dying to take the subway halfway across the country just that way. I'll never get to, will I?

Image
Chalo wrote: He proposed something faster and cheaper, with lower environmental impact, but dramatically lower capacity. His proposed system would serve at the maximum 5% to 10% as many passengers as a traditional Japanese-style HSR line can carry.
Dude, read up on Norton I, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico. 1859-80. Oh, what grand and glorious proposals he made. What condemnations he issued on dark moments in U.S history. Eventually San Francisco followed his advice and began to build suspension bridges. If he'd known about Beach's subway, he'd probably have ordered it built, then who knows?

The fact is, Norton was the Elon of his time, up until something like 1854. In recent years it's come out that his widely published history diverged from the truth, (Oh, like THAT'S never happened before) such as he was never off the radar for up to 5 years, etc., so I almost hate to write about him at this point even though I'D JUST LOVE TO WRITE ABOUT HIM. He was great fun even before something snapped. But Norton started to believe his own press clippings, as the saying goes. And he went mad, MAD, MAAAAAADDDDDD!!!!! Oh, how they loved him. And his little dogs, too.

Image

NORTON WAS A LUNATIC!!!! Yes, he called himself the Emperor of the United States, then when someone asked about Mexico he started saying he was their protector. But all his proposals were better than anything that was going on at the time. For one thing, he outlawed religious warfare. I assume this had to do with the Mountain Meadows Massacare. Oh, and if you ever find any of Norton's personal money he issued, it's worth a fortune now. And it was accepted at face value in San Francisco in the late 1800's. Did you ever notice the Beatles had him on the cover of Sgt. Pepper's? Oh wait, is that really him?
arkmundi wrote: So what he did was right on - public ridicule through a brainy proposal of something FAR, FAR better. So, pleeaasssseeeee, tone it down. I really hate to abandon a good thread discussion because the thread takes a nose dive.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =1&t=52610

Can't have it both ways.

What's funny is the way people complain as soon as one sides domineering doesn't work. 'Oh, it RUINS the thread when the psychos can't bully people.' The brown shirts of the internet always fail when they come after me and they just can't stand it.
swbluto wrote:
(Btw, you're the one whose reputation precedes you, silly.)
Which is why I've never gotten any of THOSE messages from the Moderators, Nort---I mean, Bluto. (What's it like? Getting THOSE messages from the Moderators, I mean. If it's so terribly embarrassing just go ahead and deny getting them as a code. If it's even worse, don't answer at all. We'll all understand.) Of course someone like me with a great reputation gets the benefit of the doubt, in this case I'm benefitting from the doubts about YOU. But I was referring to your SILLY reputation which proceeds you. I should include more of your posts so those who have you blocked will get a chance to see it, except they've mentioned that they blocked you for a REASON.

If YOU must be a raving lunatic, strive to be more like Norton I. I mean, he would condemn you for your behavior here. And even the U.S. Government recognized him as Emperor. Think of how much good it would do you right now to be able to issue your own money, what with you being unable to earn it like the rest of us.

Image
Any sufficiently advanced technology is INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC!
- Arthur C. Clarke

swbluto   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 9094
Joined: May 30 2008 5:23pm
Contact:

Re: Elon Musk's - Hyperloop

Post by swbluto » Aug 16 2013 1:05am

Dauntless wrote:Yeah, Mr. Durden, I'm dying to take the subway halfway across the country just that way. I'll never get to, will I?

Image
Chalo wrote: He proposed something faster and cheaper, with lower environmental impact, but dramatically lower capacity. His proposed system would serve at the maximum 5% to 10% as many passengers as a traditional Japanese-style HSR line can carry.
Dude, read up on Norton I, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico. 1859-80. Oh, what grand and glorious proposals he made. What condemnations he issued on dark moments in U.S history. Eventually San Francisco followed his advice and began to build suspension bridges. If he'd known about Beach's subway, he'd probably have ordered it built, then who knows?

The fact is, Norton was the Elon of his time, up until something like 1854. In recent years it's come out that his widely published history diverged from the truth, (Oh, like THAT'S never happened before) such as he was never off the radar for up to 5 years, etc., so I almost hate to write about him at this point even though I'D JUST LOVE TO WRITE ABOUT HIM. He was great fun even before something snapped. But Norton started to believe his own press clippings, as the saying goes. And he went mad, MAD, MAAAAAADDDDDD!!!!! Oh, how they loved him. And his little dogs, too.

Image

NORTON WAS A LUNATIC!!!! Yes, he called himself the Emperor of the United States, then when someone asked about Mexico he started saying he was their protector. But all his proposals were better than anything that was going on at the time. For one thing, he outlawed religious warfare. I assume this had to do with the Mountain Meadows Massacare. Oh, and if you ever find any of Norton's personal money he issued, it's worth a fortune now. And it was accepted at face value in San Francisco in the late 1800's. Did you ever notice the Beatles had him on the cover of Sgt. Pepper's? Oh wait, is that really him?
arkmundi wrote: So what he did was right on - public ridicule through a brainy proposal of something FAR, FAR better. So, pleeaasssseeeee, tone it down. I really hate to abandon a good thread discussion because the thread takes a nose dive.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =1&t=52610

Can't have it both ways.

What's funny is the way people complain as soon as one sides domineering doesn't work. 'Oh, it RUINS the thread when the psychos can't bully people.' The brown shirts of the internet always fail when they come after me and they just can't stand it.
swbluto wrote:
(Btw, you're the one whose reputation precedes you, silly.)
Which is why I've never gotten any of THOSE messages from the Moderators, Nort---I mean, Bluto. (What's it like? Getting THOSE messages from the Moderators, I mean. If it's so terribly embarrassing just go ahead and deny getting them as a code. If it's even worse, don't answer at all. We'll all understand.) Of course someone like me with a great reputation gets the benefit of the doubt, in this case I'm benefitting from the doubts about YOU. But I was referring to your SILLY reputation which proceeds you. I should include more of your posts so those who have you blocked will get a chance to see it, except they've mentioned that they blocked you for a REASON.

If YOU must be a raving lunatic, strive to be more like Norton I. I mean, he would condemn you for your behavior here. And even the U.S. Government recognized him as Emperor. Think of how much good it would do you right now to be able to issue your own money, what with you being unable to earn it like the rest of us.

Image
Oh no, Dauntless the fearless bully has accused me of being Norton incarnate. Oh dear god, what shall I ever do?!!

I know! Link a really relevant image describing YOUR behavior!

Image

And, gee, I know you like to make up claims of my blockage, when in reality, I've received more than multiple claims of people putting YOU on their ignore list because they're inherently trollish. You really shouldn't confuse me for a reflection of yourself, getting a bit narcissistic there.

User avatar
Chalo   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 7307
Joined: Apr 29 2009 11:29pm
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: Elon Musk's - Hyperloop

Post by Chalo » Aug 16 2013 3:49am

Dauntless wrote:Dude, read up on Norton I, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico. 1859-80. Oh, what grand and glorious proposals he made.
One of the sister bands to my own band is Emperor Norton's Stationary Marching Band of Somerville, MA. They are awesome.



Why trouble yourself with the dead Emperor when you can drink with his live band?
This is to express my gratitude to Justin of Grin Technologies for his extraordinary measures to save this forum for the benefit of all.

Joseph C.   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1797
Joined: Feb 03 2011 8:43am
Location: Ireland
Contact:

Re: Elon Musk's - Hyperloop

Post by Joseph C. » Aug 16 2013 7:13am

arkmundi wrote: You know you're just complaining about yourself, don't you? Elon clearly made this as a "first draft" of an open source, open manufacturing proposal. So if the design is faulty, its BECAUSE OF YOU! Rather than engage in constructive criticism via the email he provided, for real improvement in the design, put your critique here in ESland, where it will do not good whatsoever, except maybe piss people off!
Very little of what you have said above makes sense. Firstly, how am I complaining about myself? Secondly, how is it my fault that the design is faulty? It's not my fault you're getting pissed off. I haven't said anything new that wasn't already in the public domain about the Hyperloop. I just provided Eurostat figures.

Musk already knows these things. A quick Google search is all that it takes to get proper safety figures. He purposefully didn't extend the Hyperloop to Los Angeles and San Franciso. He also purposefully didn't address the capacity issues.

Addressing the above makes the Hyperloop less attractive. You don't think a high calibre team of people who were working on this project for nine months would accidentally make those mistakes?

When politicians want to propose something that they know the public won't find palatable such as budgetary cuts they will fly a kite. Only the kite is much worse than what they actually plan to do. It's a good strategy and works because the public are relieved that the more draconian measures never materialised.

Musk's strategy is the inversion of what politicians do. His initial proposals are more appealing than the final product. By the time the product or service has become a reality the public don't care that he hasn't quite delivered on his initial promises. Paypal was supposed to completely get rid of banking transactions. The Roadster was supposed to be much cheaper than the original price. The base Model S was supposed to have a $50,000 price. The larger battery version of the Model S was supposed to have a 300 mile range.

Musk has a habit of over-promising. The deference between his companies and others though is that he still delivers excellent products.
Yellow Magpie - Home Of The Talented And The Interesting

http://yellowmagpie.com

User avatar
Dauntless   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 6960
Joined: May 29 2010 1:49am
Location: Coordinates: 33°52′48″N 117°55′43″W

Re: Elon Musk's - Hyperloop

Post by Dauntless » Aug 17 2013 1:54am

Image
Chalo wrote: Why trouble yourself with the dead Emperor when you can drink with his live band?
See, at least you can be a fun guy. And make an effort to be honest.

How long does it take this thing to slow down? If it's going 800mph can it be stopped in 30 seconds if something goes wrong with the pod in front of it? 800mph equals 13 1/3 miles a minute, almost 7 miles in the 30 second sequencing. If it takes 5 seconds for the emergency light to come on, you've used up more than a mile and no one has hit the brake yet. . . .

Emperor Bluto did at least give me the idea for a sword and sorcery/horror movie. There's this troll living under a bridge. it runs around calling all the humans trolls, claiming it hears voices telling it they're all trolls. Hmmmm. Maybe we go science fiction and it lives under the Hyperloop. Elon has to build himself some real live battle armor to go fight Emperor Bl---er, the troll. Elon could make this movie and use the profits to help pay for the hyperloop.

Yeah, Emp, the way your messages light on the readers' eyes, much like bricks alighting the ground as a building collapses. I totally BE---LIEVE that people on this board are sending you secret messages of their inmost thoughts, in contradiction to the messages they post to you in public. ('m just repeating what's in plain sight, afterall.) And I BE---LIEVE you about what you claim they say about me, in contradiction to the way they post to me in public. In fact I'm sure EVERYONE here BE---LIEVES you. (If ever there was a time for me to break down and use the eye roll icon.) That you can't even stop to think before you post something like THAT. . . . You're so accidently funny, it's BATHETIC. (No, that's not supposed to be a 'P'.) I just hope that a perfect stranger reading this board for the first time isn't believing you, they might not come back if they think the smoldering warts and bad breath rules the board. I do want to hear about the one guys' scooter. Which is the real reason I feel the need to embellish the parts pointing out what's wrong with this picture when you post, so it's easy for the new guys and girls to see the truth quickly when they accidently read you first. That and I'm soooooooo charming as I do. (I've got my fingers up under my chin and my head tilted as I post this.)

But there's such a lack of pathos in your bathos. You're never going to gain the readers' sympathies. You are more logos and bathos. SWBathos. Hmmmmm.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC!
- Arthur C. Clarke

swbluto   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 9094
Joined: May 30 2008 5:23pm
Contact:

Re: Elon Musk's - Hyperloop

Post by swbluto » Aug 17 2013 2:05am

Dauntless wrote:Image
Chalo wrote: Why trouble yourself with the dead Emperor when you can drink with his live band?
See, at least you can be a fun guy. And make an effort to be honest.

How long does it take this thing to slow down? If it's going 800mph can it be stopped in 30 seconds if something goes wrong with the pod in front of it? 800mph equals 13 1/3 miles a minute, almost 7 miles in the 30 second sequencing. If it takes 5 seconds for the emergency light to come on, you've used up more than a mile and no one has hit the brake yet. . . .

Emperor Bluto did at least give me the idea for a sword and sorcery/horror movie. There's this troll living under a bridge. it runs around calling all the humans trolls, claiming it hears voices telling it they're all trolls. Hmmmm. Maybe we go science fiction and it lives under the Hyperloop. Elon has to build himself some real live battle armor to go fight Emperor Bl---er, the troll. Elon could make this movie and use the profits to help pay for the hyperloop.

Yeah, Emp, the way your messages light on the readers' eyes, much like bricks alighting the ground as a building collapses. I totally BE---LIEVE that people on this board are sending you secret messages of their inmost thoughts, in contradiction to the messages they post to you in public. ('m just repeating what's in plain sight, afterall.) And I BE---LIEVE you about what you claim they say about me, in contradiction to the way they post to me in public. In fact I'm sure EVERYONE here BE---LIEVES you. (If ever there was a time for me to break down and use the eye roll icon.) That you can't even stop to think before you post something like THAT. . . . You're so accidently funny, it's BATHETIC. (No, that's not supposed to be a 'P'.) I just hope that a perfect stranger reading this board for the first time isn't believing you, they might not come back if they think the smoldering warts and bad breath rules the board. I do want to hear about the one guys' scooter. Which is the real reason I feel the need to embellish the parts pointing out what's wrong with this picture when you post, so it's easy for the new guys and girls to see the truth quickly when they accidently read you first. That and I'm soooooooo charming as I do. (I've got my fingers up under my chin and my head tilted as I post this.)

But there's such a lack of pathos in your bathos. You're never going to gain the readers' sympathies. You are more logos and bathos. SWBathos. Hmmmmm.

Current strategy I'm pursuing:

Image

Let's see, in a past life, you were paid to be a professional troll. You can't convince me you've suddenly changed colors considering you're doing just that. And just because you excel at it doesn't mean you aren't doing it. :roll:

Let's see, in how many 1000s of my posts did I accuse someone of being a troll, besides you? Somewhere around 0. Big Fat ZERO. So, I don't know, I don't exactly have a habit of just throwing around troll labels for the hell of it. And you aren't the only person who's been combative, either. You just happen to have the special flavor of the day.

You're right, I'm more the embodiment of logos and veritas, while you're more the embodiment of pathos and prevarications.I certainly don't feel bad about that considering that's the hallmark of an engineer which I happen to be.

swbluto   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 9094
Joined: May 30 2008 5:23pm
Contact:

Re: Elon Musk's - Hyperloop

Post by swbluto » Aug 17 2013 2:54am

Don't mean to divert too much away from the main intent of this thread, but just thought it was interesting to explore.

There's one thing I like about Grecian mythology that Christian mythology doesn't have as much - it seems closer to the primal nature of humanity and it doesn't damn it nor apologize for it. It's filled with tales of violence, murder, fate, trickery and deception and the person who emerges ahead in the myth is not the person who follows jesus's commandments or some set of 'higher principles', no, it's just whoever successfully pulls out ahead using their wit and cunning using whatever means possible, mortal if need be.

But, there's a certain nature to its tales in how everyone in the stories, gods and humans alike, uses deception. It reminds me of a recurring trait in the animal kingdom, that of deception. The black widow deceives the predator by playing dead (That one got away, the slime - learned from that experience to kill every vermin, whether 'dead' or alive.), the chimpanzee who distracts the alpha male and sneaks behind the back of the alpha male to impregnate the female (Analogous to Chaucer's tale of the cunning man who bedded the wife of a lumbering oaf), and people on message boards who troll.

I see the deception. I see how Marty is in dire straits over their Buffalo and trying to sell his vehicles and lease out his pad with the area's high unemployment rate and down economy (He's trying to convince me there's 'lots of jobs' over there while the unemployment rate is north of 9%), I see how that one guy has a history of cheating people and banks of their money and he's trying to get me to donate in what is essentially a for-profit RV park that he's starting up, I can see it. And my BS meter reacts quite strongly whenever I read your posts, because they usually have a purpose, sometimes veiled though not usually effectively, designed to intimidate, discredit, insult, derail the thread or some other negative intention. You make peculiar use of often talking about 'the others', as if you couldn't stand on your own two feet, and considering your overuse of this mechanism, I can definitely tell it's most often used as a lie. Not always, but very often, yes.

Btw, your insults are funny. Keep them coming. :lol:
Last edited by swbluto on Aug 17 2013 10:04am, edited 1 time in total.

swbluto   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 9094
Joined: May 30 2008 5:23pm
Contact:

Re: Elon Musk's - Hyperloop

Post by swbluto » Aug 17 2013 3:28am

Reading up on Norton. He sounds like a good-humored fellow. His proclamations were obviously not serious, though I'm sure he wished they happened.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emperor_Norton
Norton was occasionally a visionary, and some of his "Imperial Decrees" exhibited profound foresight. He issued instructions to form a League of Nations,[19] and he explicitly forbade any form of conflict between religions or their sects. Norton saw fit to decree the construction of a suspension bridge or tunnel connecting Oakland and San Francisco, his later decrees becoming increasingly irritated at the lack of prompt obedience by the authorities:
Norton would also frequently give lengthy philosophical expositions on a variety of topics to anyone within earshot.
The aspie vibe is strong with this one.

Image

Looks like he belongs on ES. :mrgreen:

HAROX   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 398
Joined: Feb 11 2012 1:32pm
Location: Golden Triangle, Denver Colorado, USA

Re: Elon Musk's - Hyperloop

Post by HAROX » Aug 17 2013 9:06am

...another trashed thread brought to you by D and SW. 8)
Though befitting they would make the Hyperloop thread their own. Hyperlooped...get it?

User avatar
Kingfish   10 GW

10 GW
Posts: 4064
Joined: Feb 03 2010 11:23am
Location: Redmond, WA-USA, Earth, Sol, Orion–Cygnus Arm, Milky Way. Age: > yesterday < tomorrow
Contact:

Re: Elon Musk's - Hyperloop

Post by Kingfish » Aug 17 2013 9:16am

Speeding up and slowing down is not instantaneous. We did a calculation at work and at 0.5g acceleration it would take (if memory swerves me correctly) about 2.5 minutes to reach Mach 1.1 speed @ sea level. However that's not the control strategy; it's stair-stepped up and down at the end points.

However a good point is made about how to slow down/stop when the need is dire. I suspect those details could be sorted with risks and odds of survival similar to water landings.

BTW - can we take the knife fight elsewhere. I just want to talk about the technology. :)
Thanks, KF
* My 2WD Garden Wall
* Kinaye MotorSports
* Primary ride: 2WD Disc 9C 2806-equiv / Dual Lyen 12FET / 20S7P LiPo.
* Epics: Going to California: 2011 8)
* 50-mph, 101, 10k-Club. 12,527 miles-to-date, 7037 as 2WD.

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed.
The hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Punx0r   10 GW

10 GW
Posts: 4866
Joined: May 03 2012 8:16am
Location: England

Re: Elon Musk's - Hyperloop

Post by Punx0r » Aug 18 2013 12:53pm

Col. Paul Stapp decelerated from over 600mph to zero in 1.5 seconds (43G) on a rocket sled and sustained mere temporary eye bleeding and blindness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UEYxf4fl_A

HAROX   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 398
Joined: Feb 11 2012 1:32pm
Location: Golden Triangle, Denver Colorado, USA

Re: Elon Musk's - Hyperloop

Post by HAROX » Aug 18 2013 3:57pm

.

User avatar
arkmundi   1 GW

1 GW
Posts: 3149
Joined: Jul 08 2012 11:14am
Location: Worcester, MA USofA

Re: Elon Musk's - Hyperloop

Post by arkmundi » Sep 16 2013 2:15pm

A Southern California Startup Is Trying To Jump-Start Elon Musk's Hyperloop
The good news for those excited by Musk’s idea is that a small Southern California startup called JumpStartFund, which mixes elements of Kickstarter-like funding and the “wisdom of the crowd” to refine an idea has picked up the Hyperloop concept and will try to advance it closer to reality...
... JumpStartFund was as excited as many. “We really love the idea, we think it’s an awesome project,” Ahlborn said. “We want to create one single point for all those people who are working in different corners.” And that single point would allow people to vet the idea, to tear it apart, to build it back up. In short, to crowdsource all aspects of it and determine how real it is.
So Open Source Manufacturing is taking hold of the project! Awesome!

User avatar
grindz145   100 MW

100 MW
Posts: 2920
Joined: Apr 07 2009 12:10pm
Location: Rochester NY
Contact:

Re: Elon Musk's - Hyperloop

Post by grindz145 » Sep 16 2013 2:28pm

Sweet! It's kind of an odd company to pick it up. I kind of get the feeling like this is a publicity leech stunt, but I hope I am quickly proven wrong.

User avatar
fizzit   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 723
Joined: Mar 10 2010 10:14pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Elon Musk's - Hyperloop

Post by fizzit » Sep 16 2013 2:39pm

Kingfish wrote:Speeding up and slowing down is not instantaneous. We did a calculation at work and at 0.5g acceleration it would take (if memory swerves me correctly) about 2.5 minutes to reach Mach 1.1 speed @ sea level. However that's not the control strategy; it's stair-stepped up and down at the end points.

However a good point is made about how to slow down/stop when the need is dire. I suspect those details could be sorted with risks and odds of survival similar to water landings.

BTW - can we take the knife fight elsewhere. I just want to talk about the technology. :)
Thanks, KF
Yes, Elon seems to suggest some uncomfortably high acceleration rates for speeding up and slowing down, not to mention the Gs from the "jerk" when entering the curves.
-Colin
my first ebike, a freeride mountain bike, using a turnigy 80-85, castle hv160, and turnigy lipo:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... 80#p607020

swbluto   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 9094
Joined: May 30 2008 5:23pm
Contact:

Re: Elon Musk's - Hyperloop

Post by swbluto » Sep 16 2013 2:56pm

fizzit wrote:However a good point is made about how to slow down/stop when the need is dire. I suspect those details could be sorted with risks and odds of survival similar to water landings.
It's just like how does a jet slows down/stop when the need is dire - the need is extremely rare and they can't stop suddenly, so they don't design it for that. A train in a protected tube extremely rarely has to 'stop suddenly' if designed appropriately. It's protected from nature and from other people jumping on the tracks or things getting in the way. It might be vulnerable to terrorist bombings, but most things are.

Punx0r   10 GW

10 GW
Posts: 4866
Joined: May 03 2012 8:16am
Location: England

Re: Elon Musk's - Hyperloop

Post by Punx0r » Sep 18 2013 6:02pm

Hyperloop has always seemed like a crazy pipe dream and it seems someone has taken the time to do some technical and financial analysis to support this argument:

http://pedestrianobservations.wordpress ... repreneur/

In short: technically inpractical, cost projections are wildly optomistic, if not downright false.

Post Reply