Elon Musk's - Hyperloop

General Discussion about electric vehicles.
arkmundi   1 GW

1 GW

Re: Elon Musk's - Hyperloop

Post by arkmundi » Sep 18 2013 6:26pm

Punx0r wrote:Hyperloop has always seemed like a crazy pipe dream and it seems someone has taken the time to do some technical and financial analysis to support this argument,,, In short: technically inpractical, cost projections are wildly optomistic, if not downright false.
SpaceX has and will continue to have its critics too! The existence of such was never a limit for Elon Musk and his cadre, because the proof and/or disproof comes only after throwing everything you've got and then some at a project. I'll always side with the dreamers & optimists. Its way more fun.

grindz145   100 MW

100 MW

Post by grindz145 » Sep 19 2013 9:01am

Punx0r wrote:Hyperloop has always seemed like a crazy pipe dream and it seems someone has taken the time to do some technical and financial analysis to support this argument:

http://pedestrianobservations.wordpress ... repreneur/

In short: technically inpractical, cost projections are wildly optomistic, if not downright false.
I'm sure they said the same thing about Jet Aircraft too...

mattrb   100 W

100 W

Post by mattrb » Sep 19 2013 9:15am

I would use this to go to a farmers market in downstate Illinois and come back to the loop in a short period of time. I would get tenderloin steak, celery, broccoli, and cheese curds.
52v Crystalyte 4060 Phasor and 4000w Cyclone Elite

arkmundi   1 GW

1 GW

Post by arkmundi » Sep 19 2013 10:01am

mattrb wrote:... celery, broccoli, and cheese curds.
Ummm. Its just morning and now you've got me thinking about dinner. Broccoli & cheese, tasty and good for ya'.

fizzit   10 kW

10 kW

Post by fizzit » Sep 19 2013 12:08pm

Punx0r wrote:pipe dream
Heh heh
-Colin
my first ebike, a freeride mountain bike, using a turnigy 80-85, castle hv160, and turnigy lipo:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... 80#p607020

swbluto   100 GW

100 GW

Post by swbluto » Sep 19 2013 1:17pm

grindz145 wrote:
Punx0r wrote:Hyperloop has always seemed like a crazy pipe dream and it seems someone has taken the time to do some technical and financial analysis to support this argument:

In short: technically inpractical, cost projections are wildly optomistic, if not downright false.

Yep, the same kind of critiques are always said about revolutionary ideas. If the critiques were always correct, then Ford would've never built the first car for the masses. I personally wait until the real-world results come in before judging anything revolutionary, because reality often gives a far more accurate opinion than people biased for personal and anti-new idea reasons.

HAROX   1 kW

1 kW

Post by HAROX » Sep 19 2013 1:47pm

this is when kickstarter could make a difference...

swbluto   100 GW

100 GW

Post by swbluto » Sep 19 2013 1:48pm

HAROX wrote:this is when kickstarter could make a difference...
Hehe, and they only need to raise a billion dollars. Since the most funded project on the site got $3 million, that should be a piece of cake.

HAROX   1 kW

1 kW

Post by HAROX » Sep 19 2013 3:39pm

^^I was just jesting, however the E Pebble 'wristwatch' funded for 10M. Back in the day everyone rode trains and looked at pocket watches. Today you could play Dick Tracy and ride the Loop.
If they'll fund 10M for a watch, why not 10B for a transporter? The train ticket used to be $3 and that was a lot! (1913)

Punx0r   10 GW

10 GW

Post by Punx0r » Sep 21 2013 2:20pm

grindz145 wrote:

They didn't. Prototype engines showed enourmous potential on testbeds and the application and benefits were obvious to aero-engine companies. I didn't take long to adapt an existing airframe design and get them flying.

Why is it up to the critics to prove the hyperloop proposal is flawed? Why isn't the onus on the "inventor" to prove their invention works? If I had presented the same plans for hyperloop as Musk, no one would listen. But he's rich, and you have to be awesome to become rich, so everything he says is gold.

Joseph C.   1 MW

1 MW

Post by Joseph C. » Sep 23 2013 4:27pm

That's a brilliant article. It cuts swathes out of the culture of lionising celebrities and is technically very astute too.
Yellow Magpie - Home Of The Talented And The Interesting

http://yellowmagpie.com

arkmundi   1 GW

1 GW

Post by arkmundi » Dec 20 2014 3:09pm

Elon Musk's Hyperloop prototype to be built as early as next year
... Hyperloop Transport Technologies was a crowd funded business venture that got its wings thanks to donors on the popular donation platform Kickstarter. ... On Friday, though, a report revealed by the company showed that there were no major safety concerns, or design concerns with the project itself – and that the biggest challenge would be making the mode of transportation profitable for companies.... ... The Hyperloop startup is working to reach the $16 billion funding goal to make the next step of the process possible.
more... https://jumpstartfund.com/#!/p/hyperloop/overview

100 engineers are trying to bring Elon Musk's hyperloop dream to life
Now, thanks to 100 of some of the world’s smartest engineers and designers, Musk’s Jetson-esque Hyperloop vision isn’t forever on the backburner. The dream team is now officially clocking hours for Hyperloop Transportation Technologies, Inc. [HTT], a unique JumpStartFund collaborative that formed back in September. Its express mission is to rise to the challenge laid out in Musk’s 57-page Hyperloop whitepaper.

arkmundi   1 GW

1 GW

Post by arkmundi » Jan 15 2015 8:06pm

HyperloopTX.png
HyperloopTX.png (28 KiB) Viewed 1740 times

LockH   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then started to move around... Oh oh.

Post by LockH » Jun 17 2015 2:23pm

"The Hyperloop's biggest questions are still unanswered"
http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/16/87890 ... usk-spacex
ES changed my life (for the waaaaay better).

Eff. June, 2014 Phoenix Ebike Promotions

(Current ride? High speed lawn chair.)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=57408

Phoenix Ebike Promotions conversion kit (work in progress. More drink holders, etc etc)
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=60564

Joined yer local chapter of EA yet?
(Ebikers Anonymous - Where we're all miserable failures, but the parties are hilarious...)

LockH   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then started to move around... Oh oh.

Post by LockH » Jun 18 2015 5:14am

http://www.spacex.com/hyperloop
For this reason, SpaceX is announcing an open competition, geared towards university students and independent engineering teams, to design and build the best Hyperloop pod. To support this competition, SpaceX will construct a one-mile test track adjacent to our Hawthorne, California headquarters. Teams will be able to test their human-scale pods during a competition weekend at the track, currently targeted for June 2016. The knowledge gained here will continue to be open-sourced.

Phoenix Ebike Promotions conversion kit (work in progress. More drink holders, etc etc)

(Ebikers Anonymous - Where we're all miserable failures, but the parties are hilarious...)

LockH   100 GW

100 GW

Post by LockH » Jun 19 2015 1:17pm

"New Designs Unveiled For Elon Musk’s Hyperloop"
http://libbyplummer.tumblr.com/post/121 ... -hyperloop

LockH   100 GW

100 GW

Post by LockH » Feb 04 2016 3:54pm

"MIT Team Wins SpaceX Hyperloop Design Contest"
http://www.livescience.com/53573-spacex ... n-mit.html
The MIT team's prototype Hyperloop pod will be about 8.2 feet (2.5 meters) long by 3.3 feet (1 m) wide and weigh 550 lbs. (250 kilograms), with the aerodynamic feel of a bobsled, Kirschen said. The vehicle will be built to accommodate a mechanical pusher (which will provide propulsion) as well as a variety of sensors, university officials said.

LockH   100 GW

100 GW

Post by LockH » May 12 2016 4:08am

Last edited by LockH on May 13 2016 4:47am, edited 1 time in total.

Dauntless   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Dauntless » May 12 2016 11:57pm

The bottom one is already gone.

The radio news had the maglev expert turned media commentator reporting on the test, he was saying there was a vibration problem but I'm not sure how he'd know that from being in the audience.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC!
- Arthur C. Clarke

LockH   100 GW

100 GW

Post by LockH » May 13 2016 4:54am

Dauntless wrote:The bottom one is already gone.
The radio news had the maglev expert turned media commentator reporting on the test, he was saying there was a vibration problem but I'm not sure how he'd know that from being in the audience.
Yah. Removed that 2nd one... but lots more vids hitting the www. :)

I can imagine running the thing through a tube and removing air friction will be... quicker still. Amusing. Stopping in water. "Too fast"/hard stopping for live human/animal subjects maybe.

LockH   100 GW

100 GW

Post by LockH » May 13 2016 6:40am

"Watt’s Happening With Hyperloop, Explained", according to writers at Gizmodo:
http://gizmodo.com/whats-happening-with ... 1776120617

LockH   100 GW

100 GW

Post by LockH » Jul 27 2016 1:02am

"Bullet train proposed for Central Texas"
http://keyetv.com/news/local/bullet-tra ... tral-texas
San Antonio to Austin in 15 minutes? A Texas company says it can be done with a bullet train going up to 600 miles an hour.

Transonic Transportation says they can build a train that practically flies.

It would travel as fast as a commercial airline, moving up to 12,000 people an hour.

The best part -- it would cost passengers $10 a ride.

Trains would be taking off every 30 seconds, 24 hours a day.
http://www.transonictransport.com/

Dauntless   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Dauntless » Mar 10 2018 2:35pm

http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/09/technol ... index.html

Scaling back, reduced expectations. Most successful developments wind up that way. So it's becoming more realistic.

By the time they can do anything for real, the Boring company will be rather boring, yes.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC!
- Arthur C. Clarke

LockH   100 GW

100 GW

Post by LockH » Mar 11 2018 12:38am

Dauntless wrote:
Mar 10 2018 2:35pm
http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/09/technol ... index.html

Scaling back, reduced expectations. Most successful developments wind up that way. So it's becoming more realistic.

By the time they can do anything for real, the Boring company will be rather boring, yes.
Hehe... and the California Cycleway built outta wood waaay too boring... and much "too cheap" to build:

`Cept I'd be installing OVER roadways as roofs to shield roads from snow and rains, then adding a sloped canopy overtop to shield cyclists plus support thin film solar cells to generate electricity. And/or extending the support posts above to add wind generators...

:mrgreen:

Hillhater   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Hillhater » Mar 11 2018 5:58pm

An enclosed "cycleway" with a nice steady 20mph forced breeze blowing constantly in each direction (divided tunnel) would make even unassisted cycle traffic easy and practical. :mrgreen:
This forum owes its existence to Justin of ebikes.ca