Riding my e-scoot again, and cops saw me

Been a year since i got busted, so i'm testing the waters....
Cops saw me on the sidewalk/drive on atlantic ave; rode right by.
Anybody remember me? I see lots of new phoney names.
This is the psev i'm riding; sans groceries:
http://community.webtv.net/MATTGRU/pic

HAHAHA... (phoney names).

Who could forget the king of shunts, the man who beat the system, the Devil of Daytona, the man who pioneered the 3-buck DMM?

Wazzup? Electrify that 'vette yet?

:mrgreen:

Glad to see you out EV'n again. That one really looks like a handicapped mobility scooter.

Are you still drilling lag bolts into bad cells on batteries? Hey!, we've discovered lithium since your last post.

Didn't you almost go to jail for riding that?

Thanks for the comments guys!
No, cops never stopped my psev. That was my motorcycle style m-bike.

I don't see anything terrible about my court experience. It was my chance to do a "James Spader" imitation, like on Boston Legal, and I made a convincing, mostly successful argument.(but don't want to appear again).
cops did say i can ride on the sidewalk, which is where i'm riding now. Just doing figure 8's and clowning around, not going anywhere. Scary fun when u push the limit!

a month later;
my 10th ride today!
5yr old SLA's seem ok

This is why i got rid of my Xtreme scooter. It was just too cool looking. I had to ride on the sidewalk and I got stopped once by a cop who was totally ignorant of the laws here in Dallas. But the scooter had no pedals. I figure the new Ebike, with pedals, will at least LOOK like a bike and they will ignore me if I stay under 20MPH. It's a one mile commute and I can take it nice and easy. Eventually I will venture out onto the road itself once I feel skilled at being on the thing.

Went to a dinner party last night where several people (I thought they were liberals) were really pissy at me about using an Ebike because I would be in the way of their Hummers and SUVs and they are too important to look out where they are going because they are always late. So I asked, "What the frock are you gonna do when gas is $10 a gallon?" Typical Dallas answer...oh I can afford that. So I asked what they would do when the oil is all gone. And i got this really dumb shit like it's a myth, there is plenty of oil, all sorts of crap. It is truly amazing how frocking stupid people are. These are not typical Texans either. They hate Bush. They like Obama. But the mainstream media has convinced people that global warming is a joke. I think the ignorance out there is worse than most of us know.

I am glad I am 57 and won't live to see the hell that people will be living in.

Actually there is plenty of expensive fossil fuels. I'ts not cheap or easy to extract though. I heard on tv, on some show or other that turning coal into gasoline is only about $35 a barrel. Doing it, and putting the land back nice, sequestering the carbon emitted in the process, and dealing with the waste products ecologically,.... Who knows how much that would all cost.
Too funny that the liberals in Dallas drive hummers, all us New Mexico democrats are too poor for that. If you work over at White Sands you either are, or become a republican.

When it comes to pricks that think bikes don't have the right to be on the road I just tell em if it weren't for bikes they'd still be driving a dirt road.

For some folks, "share the road" is merely quaint. For others, "share " is entirely forgotten.

Progressive communities are making the changes. Ann Arbor, MI is converting some 4-lane streets into 3-lane (center turn), with bike lanes on both sides. Safer for everybody.

:lol: I'm snickering because I passed some lexus this morning on the right shoulder of the road, which according to state law is perfectly legal for a bike, and when I did, the lexus bit-h got so upset that she actually honked at me! I didn't really care because I was through the intersection and gone long before she even got to the light, but I thought about how silly she must feel in her 50K+ suv/car thing honking because she got passed by a <$2k ebike. Somethings are just poetic.

mcstar said:
:lol: I'm snickering because I passed some lexus this morning on the right shoulder of the road, which according to state law is perfectly legal for a bike, and when I did, the lexus bit-h got so upset that she actually honked at me! I didn't really care because I was through the intersection and gone long before she even got to the light, but I thought about how silly she must feel in her 50K+ suv/car thing honking because she got passed by a <$2k ebike. Somethings are just poetic.

Even better when you cross the intersection using the sidewalks, then get back in the road after a red-signal. :twisted:

↑ I've only got one intersection like that. The light is rarely red, and I can only use it when going one direction (three-way intersection). But it is oh so sweet when I do. :wink:

DallasFOTO wrote
"
Went to a dinner party last night where several people (I thought they were liberals) were really pissy at me about using an Ebike because I would be in the way of their Hummers and SUVs and they are too important to look out where they are going because they are always late. So I asked, "What the frock are you gonna do when gas is $10 a gallon?" Typical Dallas answer...oh I can afford that. So I asked what they would do when the oil is all gone. And i got this really dumb shit like it's a myth, there is plenty of oil, all sorts of crap. It is truly amazing how frocking stupid people are. These are not typical Texans either. They hate Bush"

SNIP

Dude, Thats TFF. I live in Dallas and ride an ebike and get the same sort of crap 'cept I am a conservative so I am not supposed to even give a rats ass. I do actually get a little support from my political crowd because energy conservation = good money management whether you believe peak oil is a myth or not. Ole T Boone Pickens an oil man in Amarillo is even telling us to find non petroleum energy sources... Pretty credible fellow there. He may know something... Well ok he is invested in a shit load of wind farms.

Anyway, I will keep looking for you as I have never seen an Ebike on the street in Dallas other than mine. There are a bunch of Walmart Ebikes out in the airplane factory in West Fort Worth that guys have brought in to get around the flight line and larger hangers. I have actually seen an assist bike with an and engine on it but only one.

Mostly with people it's EGO. I drive a 3 cylinder Matiz 800cc to work and get ribbed. They give me a line that the SUVs are safer. Sounds like BS to me. Figured out a lot of people could care less about the environment, oil independence, etc.

Dk

Deepkimchi said:
Mostly with people it's EGO. I drive a 3 cylinder Matiz 800cc to work and get ribbed. They give me a line that the SUVs are safer. Sounds like BS to me. Figured out a lot of people could care less about the environment, oil independence, etc.

Dk
I got into a real heated argument about peak oil recently with someone who should know better. They also think global warming is a total myth. And they are wasteful in many small ways in their daily lives. Like going shopping four times in one day because they simply did not make a small list and plan the trip out to get everything once. Americans, over the last century, have allowed Detroit and Houston to create a phony "American Dream" of "my life status and value are determined by the car I drive" kind of consumerism. Bigger, faster, slicker, better. When I was living in Zurich thirty years ago, one day, in the "downtown" area, a big American Cadillac drove down a narrow cobblestone alley. The Swiss were laughing at it. My buddy asked why we needed all that much car and gosh it must use a terrible amount of gasoline. I had no answer. It is not only about oil and cars but about all energy. Can someone explain to me why you need an ELECTRIC can opener? I have never understood why we would need an electric can opener. Toothbrush? Sure...for those of us with bad gums. Blender? sure. Toaster? sure. But a can opener??????

I can't imagine that an electric can opener would use very much energy on a yearly basis.

I do understand why the push for cf light bulbs, however, changing to those isn't making that much difference when compared to resistance heating.

If you really wanted to make a difference in the consumer realm, electric heating would be the first thing to address. But how to do it.....

Because old people have arthritis. :?

Also, watching one of those little cordless ones slowly move around the can is kinda amusing...

1st trip to the store!(since last year)
took 8 minutes to go 1 mile on the sidewalk at about 7 or 8 mph.
that was a nice ride on a 79F morning. The slow speed is necesary due to driveway bumps. It was too bumpy last year at 15 mph, but, slow is fine. It is only 2 or 3 minutes longer, so it is not worth it to go faster in the street, and risk.....
21st ride this year. and the 2003 SLA's are OK!

Now that we have a heat pump we shut down our resistance heater. We have also been able to shut down central air for 12 out of 24 hrs. Really makes a big (100 bucks a month) difference in electric. but gas heat is gonna be a killer this year too, and my sister in law in Vermont is paying 4.50 per gallon of heating oil! Crazy!
otherDoc

docnjoj said:
and my sister in law in Vermont is paying 4.50 per gallon of heating oil! Crazy!

Yep,definately crazy,when we last topped up the oil tank (900 liter tank) last May it was 1.18 per liter.Had the house resided and had them add some styrofoam insulation underneath, should help with keeping the heating costs down somewhat.I hope!

Way to go on them sla there Matt!

Eric

I have never seen an Ebike on the street in Dallas other than mine
saberwalt, that's one the tricks-of-the-trade for e-bikers. We move so fast, it's tough to catch a glimpse! Word's starting to get out in my area. I was at the bike shop the other day and they said customers have started asking how they can get an e-bike kit for their bike. They keep telling stories of "this guy on an electric bike moving in and out of traffic". Maybe I should rent billboard space on my e-bike :)

Back