G-Zero for B.C. Canada (EVC Kart Racing)

Arlo1

1 TW
I have been emailing back and fourth with Greg Webster. Its exciting how this is hopefully going to be coming to 8 city's in BC! Nanaimo my home town being one stop.
I have most of the details. The Karts will be limited to 30kw input to the controller and that's all they will measure. He said for 2014 every team will have to use a Spec power train consisting of a motor, controller, battery, and BMS. He wants reliable karts that are performance orientated to please the crowd. I am looking into the options of Putting a team together and Building a fleet of drift trikes to have as a side show! I will need help with $ if I get to race the Karts.... I can't just though a colossus and one of my home made controllers in to make it happen. Or a brushed motor and controller to make it cheaper and easier to make it run. But I think this is a great opportunity. I offered to help any way I can. Its my 2 favorite things in life Karts and electric powered speed!
http://www.nanaimodailynews.com/news/new-kart-series-targets-downtown-1.559439
http://www.evcracing.com/

Attachments

• IMG_0683-lower-res-1 (800 x 533).jpg
    IMG_0683-lower-res-1 (800 x 533).jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 2,404
Here is a couple videos
[youtube]8OxvF8XhOsw[/youtube]
[youtube]4r3ouoPYsb4[/youtube]
[youtube]XEEiLwCKsqw[/youtube]

This is a great idea. I raced karts in Texas and track #1 got shut down because of complaints of noise from the neighboring businesses and the second track I raced at was an indoor track. That track had to install a big ventalation system to vent all the exhaust fumes out of the building. I presume the reason it cost so much to race there had something to do with how expensive the building was.

Someone mentioned on the sphere how Las Vegas was building a Zero Electric motorcross track. Electric sounds like the key to avoiding the whole exhaust/ noise problem.

I am a member of a group of people that builds remote controlled car tracks in thier back yards and we alternate racing at each other's houses. This is possible because electric is quiet enough to not piss off the neighbors. I bet a similar back yard electric kart community could be formed just as easily.

Webster says he has confirmed at least one manufacturer - EVC Racing out of Indiana - and there are several other companies interested in producing the electric Karts as well, including one out of Vancouver.

Kart racing is a big time sport throughout Europe and in pockets across North America and is used as a developmental level for professional drivers that go on to Formula 1 and IndyCar racing. Many pro drivers and pro teams have Kart teams as well. These battery-powered karts would be very similar to the ones that are currently used at the K2 championship level, except no internal combustion engine.

Each Kart has a price tag of about $15,000, about $6,000 more than their gas-powered comparable. However, maintenance is minimal, there are no engine rebuilds and it costs about 25 cents to recharge the battery, as opposed to $25 for fuel.

The karts will be set to a maximum speed of 105 kilometres per hour, to keep spending under control and to make it as enjoyable as possible for the spectators.

- See more at: http://www.nanaimodailynews.com/news/new-kart-series-targets-downtown-1.559439#sthash.899BTKRm.dpuf

here's another manufacturer,
some used karts for sale...

http://rattlesnakeelectricsports.com/For_Sale.html

http://rattlesnakeelectricsports.com/Races.html

Hello Arlo1, I'm looking for a new use for my kokam power pack, it survived the brush holder melt-down and it needs a new challenge ... just so happens, I'm in Nanaimo area as well ... are there any new developments in the kart racing proposal for a circuit in south-west BC?
regards

I just picked up a kart and I have been talking to EVC racing and Greg from G-Zero. They want you to run their spec power train for 2014 which is 30kw and its a Motenergy motor and sevcon controller and a Enerdel pack with a charger and bms. They want this for 2 reasons 1 for keeping it fair and equal they don't know hot to tell if you are going over the 30kw input power and for 2 they don't want a guy doing a lap and blowing a controller.....

We should meet up and maybe come see my shop? Anyone in the Nanaimo area who is into lectric stuff needs to stick together.

Did a test with the Kt100 in the kart today and its a lot of fun. Kart handles good. I just practiced on a closed off road so its hard to feel for the fast sweeping corners.
I will do what I can to get a good at driving now then When I'm ready install the lectric motor. I think 5 races are confirmed and Nanaimo is one of them I will keep you posted. This would be perfect for a Zero Zforce brushless motor :)

Attachments

• 1392038_10151743473416849_2041993300_n.jpg
    1392038_10151743473416849_2041993300_n.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 2,213
Wow, you're not wasting any time getting into the groove .. I'd love to see your shop and projects ...
regards

I have wanted a proper racing kart all my life and I got it cheep enough to make it justifiable. I got 8 spare complete wheels and two more spare front rims 2 spare pipes and its runs with a digitron which I need to re-install before holding it wide open to much. I should be able ot sell the KT100 motor and the 3 pipes and the digitron and the gas tank for what I paid for the whole kart!

This is my second time trying it and its barley warmed up hence why I did not hold it wide open yet. I tried to get a helmet cam video but it sucks. I need to make a proper mount. The first time I tried to push start it by my self I was from behind the kart (did not know how to do it) and it took off faster then I can run so I held on to the rear bumper and it drug me down my alley until I could get it to stall ! :)
I will email you I'm instructing at the University Thursday so I should be at my shop by ~3:30
[youtube]KC3IrH29gfg[/youtube]

that's hilarious, ICE drags you off, teaching you the push start routine .. the e-drive will be so user-friendly by comparison ..

adapt2entropy said:
that's hilarious, ICE drags you off, teaching you the push start routine .. the e-drive will be so user-friendly by comparison ..
Yeah it is funny there is little bottom end and the pipe on there is to help make it have more bottom end.
But I don't want just fun electric because even if I make the same HP as the KT100 motor it will almost be boring because its to easy with a smooth throttle and full torque at 0rpm! But don't worry I plan to make it scary fast :)

Back