'Theft of power' lands electric-car driver in jail

Kingfish

100 MW
Redmond, WA-USA, Earth, Sol, Orion–Cygnus Arm, Mil
'Theft of power' lands electric-car driver in jail

NBCNEWS said:
A Georgia man found himself in handcuffs after charging his electric car outside a middle school where his son was playing tennis in what police alleged was unlawful “theft” of county power worth roughly five cents.

Kaveh Kamooneh, of Decatur, said he was attending a Saturday morning tennis practice session for his 11-year-old son on Nov. 2 when he plugged in his electric car at a power outlet outside Chamblee Middle School.

Kamooneh, 50, said he was alarmed when, soon after, he saw a police officer inspecting his Nissan LEAF.

According to a report from the Chamblee Police Department, an officer responded to a called complaint of the white Nissan LEAF left parked and charging at the school. In the police report, the officer said he could not find the vehicle’s owner but found the car doors unlocked and picked up a piece of mail on the car floor showing a Decatur address.

“He told me he was going to arrest me for theft,” Kamooneh said, who said he charged his car for roughly 20 minutes. Clean Cities Atlanta, an electric vehicle advocacy group, says that is roughly the equivalent of a nickel's worth of electricity, WIXA in Atlanta reported.

On Nov. 13, Kamooneh said he was met at his door by police, who handcuffed him and took him to the DeKalb County jail, where he was held for about 15 hours.

“I quickly realized it was from the events that had happened 11 days back,” he said. “The officer did threaten that he would do that. I guess I didn’t quite believe that he would go through with it.”

Kamooneh was officially charged with theft by taking what the officer said was “theft of power” by not seeking permission from the DeKalb County School system to charge his car there, according to the police report.

Police said, according to the report, they met with Chamblee Middle School employees, who confirmed that Kamooneh was not authorized to plug his car into any school socket.

Sgt. Ernesto Ford of the of the Chamblee Police Department declined to discuss the incident further with NBC News, but told WXIA that Kamooneh “broke the law. He stole something that wasn’t his.”

“A theft is a theft,” he added.

But Kamooneh said he believes he committed no crime. He said in his experience as an electric car driver, seeking permission was often an informal exchange and that he had never encountered a problem before.

“Of course I agree that theft is theft, what I don’t agree with is that every taking of something without permission is theft,” he said, adding that there was no one at the school to ask permission from at the time.

The DeKalb County School District said in a statement that it has cooperated with the police investigation and will continue to do so.

Hopefully the judge will dismiss this as a nuisance. I mean - what's the fine going to be, another $0.05? Obviously Law Enforcement in some parts of the country is lacking on basic training, or perhaps the economics of basic law enforcement. :p
~KF

There is a big lack of education on electric vehicles as a whole. I mean what % of the public do you think has any idea what it cost to charge an electric? This 1 reason is the first reason so many have not started buying them.

Cop should be reprimanded for wasting police time and resources.
And then sent on a training course to learn how to deal with minor offenses and community relations.
He was a Dick head.

..but is suspect there is more than one side to this story !?

Imagine if they busted all the teachers/students for theft of pencils/paper. The HORROR! Those pencils have to be worth at least 15 cents each. Probably a year or so in jail.

Same thing happened to my boss back in the 1980's. Remember the commute a car? I think that was the name of it. Looked like a dust buster of that time. Long story short, boss could make it to work and half way home. He ran a cord out of his office window and charged it so he could make the hill homeward bound. Someone complained and made a huge deal out of it. Security got involved and threats were leveled. Got pretty ugly and way, way out of proportion. He ended up with a chainsaw generator in the back so he could make it home...

Thank God we have these people to protect and serve us from the terrible world it would be if people were charging EV's from places that it happen to be convenient.

Give that officer an upgrade to Chief of the local citizen harassment/harming gang.

Give that officer an upgrade to Chief

Sadly, your little joke is actually what's likely to happen. The "peter principle' is that: in order to get someone out of the way, you often can't fire them so...you promote them to a desk job where they do less damage to the "gets their hands dirty" crew. No matter what you do for a living, I highly recommend the book "The Dilbert Principle"...and yes, its written by the guy who draws the comic, but...its is well-written and filled with surprisingly insightful observations about human nature that was gathered from a decade of being a smarter-than-average cubicle monkey.

Well, he technically did steal, he is guilty. Although common sense suggests that the officer would resolve the issue with an informal warning or the school would give retrospective permission, but request he not do it again.

The guy who left the lights on after using the toilet is in felony territory, and he used far too many sheets of toilet paper to wipe with.

In my city, the fire department employees have a habit of calling in sick on their day scheduled for work, and then their friends get time and a half for coming in, which is later recipricated. This crap seems to happen everywhere to the tune of millions of dollars. I would love it if "theft"really "is theft." Lock up the lot, or at least let some give pause to reflect on their own borderline criminal behavior.

Punx0r said:
Well, he technically did steal, he is guilty. Although common sense suggests that the officer would resolve the issue with an informal warning or the school would give retrospective permission, but request he not do it again.

Why is using an outlet on a public facility you pay for stealing? I would call it wisely using an outlet. I see a real waste of resources/thief in paying to install public outlets that don't get used.

This is an EV smear-fear campaign plain and simple. Arresting the guy many days after the "crime" was a targeted move authorized by the upper brass to set an example.

If you were on the fence about buying a Leaf or Tesla you now have more anxiety about your purchase. All you read about range anxiety, fire anxiety, what -will -my-friends-think anxiety, and now arrest anxiety is done on purpose by a range of characters all hell bent on slowing the adoption of EVs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_warfare

This is clearly a case of not very smart Leaf owner meeting not very smart police officer.
Leaf has 6 KW on board charger.
How much charge can he get from 110 v, 15 Amp socket in 20 minutes?
Probably 1 km or something.
LOL at both of these losers.

I recall a person who received a bill in the mail for $0.08, simply because it was what the billing machine spit out. I say this because it cost $0.43 to mail it to the customer, plus the cost of the send/return envelopes. if he forgot to pay, would it be a bad mark on his credit history?

I questioned the gas company billing employee for a while before they would admit that if I missed a payment for a bill under $10, they would just add it to the next months bill, and my gas would not get turned off and I would not get a bad payment report to my credit history. I wrote a check for something like $5.67. I began paying 250% of the bill so I only had to write a check every two months. You could say I was giving them an interest-free loan of $5-$10 dollars on occasion, but I write 6 checks a year for gas instead of 12. I wish they would accept auto-pay or payment over the internet, but where I live they are technologically stuck in the 1960's.

Over the years, I have gotten a few speeding tickets (when I was young, but I deserved them), but the last couple decades I have only gotten a couple warnings. The cop could've just given him a warning.

I forgot to mention where I come from you have places to plug your car in at the schools because if you don't it wont start in the winter in Alberta the temps will go below -40 C I wonder if they would even notice you pugged in to charge a battery instead of a block heater. Not to mention how was this guy stealing power if the plug was accessible? Was it accessible??? This is like a gas pump left open and unlocked for all to use then fining them when people use it.

"An electric-car owner in the United States was thrown in the slammer for 15 hours after using a public powerpoint to recharge his vehicle.

Kaveh Kamooneh, from Chamblee in the southern state of Georgia, was arrested and charged with theft after plugging in his Nissan Leaf for 20 minutes while waiting to collect his son from a tennis lesson at his school.

Kamooneh claims he was approached by a police officer within minutes of plugging-in his car and asked if he had permission from the school to use the powerpoint."

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-news/man-jailed-for-stealing-5c-of-electricity-20131205-2yrut.html

Many years ago - thinking ... 1982 or 83, I took my cousin to the Renaissance Faire in the Black Hills of Novato and had a great time. We spent all our cash. On the way back across the Golden Gate I didn't have the one dollar left for the Bridge toll so they made me go to the office and write a check for $1.00 USD. At the time I was astounded by the waste of processing the single check.

Years later, upon closing my Charles Schwab account after selling off a bunch of stock, they sent me a check for $0.25 USD on "accrued interest". Again I was blown away at the audacity of waste. Didn't bother to cash it.

Recently (meaning in the last couple years) there was another account I inherited from the passing of my Father, and it was a troublesome relationship with the financial institution which sold the account to a lesser reputable moneygrubbing handler. I resolved to close it; the numbnuts charged me $50 USD as a "handling fee" to close the account - as if they don't already make enough coin from holding mine. Fine - gd #$%@&* jerks! Then they sent me a check - ready for this? The value of $0.01 USD for interest gained. I cashed that frippen check to spite them.

I think it was Superman III where the character played by Richard Pryor figured out how to retrieve the partial cents left in closed accounts of an unnamed bank and route them to where he could cash in on it. In the next scene (following the one below) - the bank laments the loss of millions by an unknown source, and as the President gazes out the window, the RP character drives up in a Maserati :lol:

[youtube]iLw9OBV7HYA[/youtube]

Sorry - I couldn't find the end result of his experiment on YouTube... buggers :p

Waste not, want not. Fraud is where you find it. Start looking at who the City hires for law enforcement cos they are the stupidest inbred people on the planet protected by even stupider corrupt management. I mean - my local City Council representative was begging me to run against the incumbent nitwits cos even I, a lowly software developer who is able to cleave 0's from 1's with a prowess of a 15 watt LED "is more illuminated than the dust-bin City Manager", he says. :p

Licking the pencil, updatin' the campaign application form...
Councilman KF at yer service! :mrgreen:

I agree this is a petty example of theft, but a lot of you guys are confusing morality with the law. That is moral is not necessarily legal, and what is legal is not necessarily moral.

By the law, he stole. He helped himself to something that wasn't his, without seeking permission.

Pointing out the larger crimes of others doesn't make someone less guilty. This is classic "I guess you've solved all the murders, then?" When stopped for speeding. A tempting argument, but flawed.

Saying it's ok to break the law (via moral superiority) if you're a supporter of a particular ideology (EV's in this case) is a slipperly slope.

I did laugh at the example of an unlocked gasoline pump ;) There are a lot of farms around here who have their own diesel tanks, and a lot of cases of people stealing the contents - quite obviously illegal and immoral. If you have a storage tank for your backup generator in your back yard, can I nip in and help myself if you're out?

I like the idea of people leaving other people's stuff alone. That includes messing with my outdoor water tap or power point. In need (not just a casual recharge) and ask? No problem. A polite response to a polite request. But don't assume to help yourself. Same way I ask if it's ok to plug in a laptop if I'm in a cafe/pub. They always say "yes", but I know some owners get annoyed when people don't ask.

Otherwise we approach an argument of "if it isn't locked, it's not wanted, or ok to take". Then the scrapman takes my spare engine, I take your unlocked ebike and we all refuel from unlocked power points and fuel tanks ;)

To reiterate, common sense should have prevailed in this case, the guy should not have been arrested or formally charged IMO. But where common sense fails, we have the law...

Punx0r said:
To reiterate, common sense should have prevailed in this case, the guy should not have been arrested or formally charged IMO. But where common sense fails, we have the law...

Yes exactly, but why did common sense fail ??
I suspect there was a lack of sensibility on both parties for this to get to a formal arrest.

Quite so.

One possibility not yet explored is that the Leaf owner was rude or antagonistic to the attending officer, who then went out of his way to make a point by charging and arresting him.

http://www.hybridcars.com/leaf-driver-arrested-in-ga-for-taking-5-cents-of-electricity/

If it hasn't already been posted... Turns out he was a serial jerk.

As chairman of the Perth AEVA branch, I have written to our minister for local government for clarification on what's OK and what's not OK when it comes to using a public power point. And by public, I mean one like this on the side of a public amenities block:

3uta4a4y.jpg

Back