World’s first 1 megawatt raceEV to compete at pike peak

Doctorbass

100 GW
Hey Luke ? :twisted:

http://www.electricautosport.com/20...l-electric-race-car-to-compete-at-pikes-peak/

All wheel drive
Six YASA-400 electric motors with eO controllers
Peak power 1020 kW / peak torque 2160 Nm
50 kWh lithium-ion battery pack with BMS
Single reduction gear / limited slip axle differentials
Steel tubular spaceframe with carbon fibre body
Electrically assisted power steering
4-way adjustable shock absorbers
Ventilated brake discs Ø378 mm front / Ø330 mm rear
320/710 R18 slick tyres / 13” × 18” wheels
Kerb weight: 1200 kg
Top speed: 260 km/h

eO-PP03.jpg

That is where EVs in motorsport will get interesting: Not when the EV class is putting in impressive times compared to ICEs from 10 years ago, but when they compete alongside in the same race and win.

The 6 motors plus differentials layout does sound a bit bizarre.

The newly created all-wheel drive eO PP03 has a 50 kWh lithium-ion battery pack and is propelled by six YASA-400 electric motors with in-house developed eO controllers. This package provides a peak power of an impressive 1020 kW

that means the raceEV would finish a 50KWh pack between 2 and 4 minutes! :shock:

so I bet if they are using lithium-ion, it can't be other than samsung 25R! :mrgreen:

Nobuo said:
The newly created all-wheel drive eO PP03 has a 50 kWh lithium-ion battery pack and is propelled by six YASA-400 electric motors with in-house developed eO controllers. This package provides a peak power of an impressive 1020 kW

that means the raceEV would finish a 50KWh pack between 2 and 4 minutes! :shock:
quote]

lol.. i guess they dont floor the pedal 100% time! unless it's at the Bonneville salt falt!

maybe the average power is like 100kW witch is probably what is about to be required for 200kmh on that kind of car?

Doc

The more "real people" have the opportunity to drive electric cars like this, the faster ICE cars will become a relic of the past.

This is indeed the future of racing, and EV is the future of transportation.

Now I REALLY want to go to Pike's Peak this year...

The reign of the gasoline vehicles has a year or two left before they become comically performance irrelevant as we watched happen with RC cars.

amberwolf said:
RC cars used to have gas engines? ;)

(actually it never occured to me that they might have, till you said that)

When I was in high school, nitro RC was king, electric was kinda a joke in comparison. Now I don't know if nitro RC is even a thing anymore. I can't remember the last time I've seen or heard one at the RC park.

I was just in the bookstore and they had this months RC Turbine magazine from Germany that was like a over a 100 pages. They had a compilation of over 30 manufacturers who make freaking turbines. Some use electronic control systems. All I was thinking is who buys all this expensive shite. It made me think how undeveloped the niche the "hobby" ebike market is in some ways. All we have access to are junky chinese hub motors. Thank G we have Justin finally making a quality FOC controller. Lebowski controllers can also be really something special but it seems we dont have anyone to take the lead. The electric skateboard scene seems to be different. I am seeing much more rapid innovation there. I think there is a market for high end hub motors and might enter it at some point in the future

liveforphysics said:
amberwolf said:
RC cars used to have gas engines? ;)

(actually it never occured to me that they might have, till you said that)

When I was in high school, nitro RC was king, electric was kinda a joke in comparison. Now I don't know if nitro RC is even a thing anymore. I can't remember the last time I've seen or heard one at the RC park.

This is the same thing I saw happen! I worked at a hobby shop from 03-07 during college (although flying RC since ~96). I was into airplanes and helicopters. I remember my first electric airplane would do maybe 4-5 laps around the flying field and it was done :lol:. In my later years of the RC hobby, I had extremely powerful helicopters with 15min+ flights and leisure planes at 30min+. It was at the point that my brain had enough before the battery was done, this happens on helicopters typically (at least for me)! This is all without the headache of tuning carbs, lugging fuel/refueling, and the worst was cleaning everything when you were done.

liveforphysics said:
same here. what a nightmare. fuel smelled like shit, you had to power the glow plug, then use a motor with a wheel connected to the ice's flywheel to start them, and adjusting the carburetor was impossible without having been to university *ggg* but the worst off all: brakes where bad and you had NO reverse gear (which was ok for flat concrete racers, but not for buggys and stuff).
but once the worked they were like rockets compared to brushed electric with mechnical resistor motor controll and nicad batteries that needed long to charge and had enough juice for 1-2min driving ...
man things REALLY changed :)

30+ years ago (!?!?) we had a race club for 1/10th off road electric buggys etc
Yep, those "540" brushed motors, 7.2volt , 1.5 Ahr NiCads, and resistor speed controllers.
Motor spec was "open" so some pretty wild winds, brush, and magnet mods were tried, but since each race was a 4 minute fixed duration, the secret was to get max performance with efficient battery use...IE keep the speed up !
Really it was a case of getting the best handling chassis to avoid spins and flips and make the driving control easy.
There was always more than enough power and speed for the loose surfaces and short 50mtr straights. A good motor with fresh battery and grippy tires could get a wheel stand under acceleration .
If only we had understood at that time, more about battery tech, charging, etc....we just used any NiCad that we could find !
There were few if any ICE 1/10th off road kits available ....plenty for flat tracks....and those that did try were so unreliable. Obviously that quickly changed !

Hillhater said:
30+ years ago (!?!?) we had a race club for 1/10th off road electric buggys etc
Yep, those "540" brushed motors, 7.2volt , 1.5 Ahr NiCads, and resistor speed controllers.

All those keywords caught my attention! 8) So much great souvenirs!.. I remember that great smell of the mud drying on the hot motor!.. and even the smell of the brush and spark in the motor.. as well as when i have pinched my finger between the 18T and 48T gear of my RC10 and saw al that blood splashing in a perfect line on the wall of my room !! outch !! :lol:

Here is another link with a better picture.

Hillhater. When you look to 1/8th scale AWD buggies then you can see what Luke its talking about. This is what brought me to electric vehicles. I saw it happened with RC and knew it was only time until we scale it up to regular vehicles. With 1/8th scale the nitro guys we dominating until lithium and brushless motors then it became game over really fast. The only thing to nail the coffin shut for good will be higher quality controllers for RC that is. They have gotten better. But you will know an RC controller is reliable when you can put it in a LEV or Ebike and roll backwards and pin the throttle and it will make you go forward as it should at its rated phase current/torque without blowing up! As well as just lasting in an ebike or LEV in general.

http://insideevs.com/drive-eo-pp03-pikes-peak-racer-cranks-1020-hp/

Bonkers!

Hopefully they'll swap the cable ties on the coolant hoses for proper clips before the race :D

Rimac put a power train together as well for monster to run. And my money is on them Monster will get the job done!!! http://www.rimac-automobili.com/press/tajima-teams-up-with-rimac-for-pikes-peak-2015-p26

Yasa motors are so sexy. Excited to see this car make history.

check out am racing if you haven't heard of them before. they have close ties with many well known electric manufactures: http://www.amracinginc.com/#!partnerships/cb8v it seems that they design and build the motors...but maybe rimac has done some work of their own, although the two look very similar.

http://www.amracinginc.com/#!dual-core/ct07

http://www.rimac-automobili.com/products-and-services/motors-and-transmissions-23

i don't mean to take any credit away from rimac and the amazing work they do but it seems like a common misconception that they have designed and built their own motors which i don't think is the case. either way, best of luck to them i think 1,100kW and Monster behind the wheel they can slaughter the competition - i look forward to seeing the video!

Back