EV sonic 7 kit car

kiwiev

100 kW
Hi everyone

Have been doing this project for over a year would like share and see what others think and advise. :wink:

So I bought a MEV Sonic 7 kit from Perth in April last year and had always wanted to do an EV as we are on stand alone solar and in the summer months are fully charges by 10AM.

trying to fit 46 by 160 Ah batteries in a car that weights less than 600 Kg :D

The reason I bought this kit was I could weld cut and modify things instead of trying to retrofit an existing car.

Attachments

• IMG_1355.JPG
    IMG_1355.JPG
    317.8 KB · Views: 9,495
Diff is a BMW E-30 LSD the motor is a HPEV AC-35 twin good for 165 hp and 190 ft/lb and that torque is available at 0 rpm :lol:

Attachments

• IMG_1356.JPG
    IMG_1356.JPG
    340.7 KB · Views: 9,494
  • IMG_1347.JPG
    IMG_1347.JPG
    344.2 KB · Views: 9,494
I know its been posted but I cant remember where how to post you tube.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=n51GXz0nID0[/youtube]

I hope this works :D

Thanks Guys its been a nice build

see below did some late nights while the wife was overseas making battery boxes

I did the ones in the chassis out of RHS steel and drop in orange one in Aluminum and the front one in structural ply and fibre glass.

Attachments

• Photo 22-10-2014 9 15 30 pm (1).jpg
    Photo 22-10-2014 9 15 30 pm (1).jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 9,450
  • Photo 21-10-2014 9 29 32 am (1).jpg
    Photo 21-10-2014 9 29 32 am (1).jpg
    353.5 KB · Views: 9,450
you will notice the LEDs I installed ZEVA BMS was not that educated in EVs last year and didn't know about bottom balancing so I did 8 BMS units one per box.

That was a lot of plugs to crimp and soldered every connection to be safe, about a week of late nights last winter in the shed freezing my bum off :x

the noise is mostly the cheap Diff I had in trying to sort out ratios it was a 4.4:1 non LSD and I had the hand brake on in all the excitement to give it a run :?

So you will notice it gets louder thru the VID until it locked up the pinion gear :x

So I guess to much torque and low oil and hand brake destroys Diff.

I now have a racing BMW 5.44:1 LSD which is slightly bigger will post pics soon.

Cheers

So I sent Chassis away for powder coating decided to go grey so i could see things instead of black BTW the chassis is sitting on a trolley to push around the shop and make it a better height to work at. :D

The down side to a kit :( was i had to wire up all the lights indicators horn brake hazards ignition from scratch that was a fortnight that reminded me not to be a Auto Sparky :evil:

Attachments

• photo 1thy.JPG
    photo 1thy.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 2,283
I run all the high voltage 144 volt in orange conduct and all the 12 volt and 5 volt on the driver side to keep them safely apart.

Attachments

• photo 1thy.JPG
    photo 1thy.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 2,283
Thanks mate it's fun with a plus 100 factor.

I'll keep the thread going. My neighbor is the boss of ski tube so it was nice private ground to play in lessh the killer pot holes : :pancake:

So as I said before I had the Sonic up at the engineers for the start of the dreaded REGO we had it on a private air strip and he happened to have a Porsche GT3 there.

We lined them up the Sonic beat the Porsche from a standing start to the end of the strip. Sub 4 second 0 to 100kph :mrgreen:
Who said electric cars are slow :p

But the cool thing was the Regen 100 to 0 in sub 5 seconds and putting 650 amps back into the pack.

Cheers

Not that I've noticed but it's taking out 1100 amps in 5 to 10 second bursts so going the other way doesn't seam as bad.
The motor gets to 80 deg and the controllers are water cooled don't go much above 40 deg 8)

Hi Ark

I haven't run the car for more than 30 to 40 minutes so haven't noticed heat issues and I was up it :D

The Winston batteries have ribbed cases to allow ambient air to flow round.

Really need to get the car out for more shake downs

Cheers

he is a pic of rear area the orange battery pack sits over top of this.

It weights about 90 Kg so I just use a endless chain to lift it of this gives access to the motor, diff and coupling.

The coupling is a Timek flexi coupling from a bearing place this is what we worked on. They allow a play of about 1-2mm on end bolted to the Diff the other end had a 1 1/8" shaft with keyway for motor

These are about the only thing I could find that would transmit enough torque (you need 180nm with a service factor of 1) and handle the speeds (up to 7000rpm) and was <120mm in overall diameter.
they will transmit 387nm with a standard red element (service factor = 2.15) or 730nm with a hi torque Blue element (service factor = 4.05)
they are designed to sheer the elements at twice the max torque and at that point the drive will simply freewheel without damaging any mechanical components

Attachments

• photo 3 (2)ac.JPG
    photo 3 (2)ac.JPG
    159.9 KB · Views: 2,274
Back