Recommended Trike for Ebike Conversion

gwrace1

100 µW
Hello all my first post here. My wife has balance and knee problems so I have been looking at keeping her riding with a trike. The option of an E-trike is very appealing to her. I've read a lot on this forum about the Delta speed issues so am leaning towards a semi-recumbent or full recumbent trike. She weighs about 135lbs and is about 5 feet in height. Terrain is mostly flat with low hills.

I was thinking a TerraTrike Rover might be a good option for a conversion. But I'd appreciate other options/suggestions in the same price range.

Will the Rover take a mid-drive motor (Befang BBSHD) or am I looking at a hub drive?

All suggestions appreciated.

David

Thank you for the information. Very helpful. Do you know what model of TerraTrike is in that video?

Thanks all. My wife had initially picked up a folding Workmans Portacycle from Walmart. We returned that today. It had the old American style 51mm single crank bottom bracket. She also could not get comfortable on the trike complaining it was to hard to peddle, uncomfortable seat and not enough gears with the 3-speed hub. I suggested she let me research other options before we make the next purchase. I like the fact that Terratrike is a USA company and the products can be purchased locally. The Rambler x24 seems like it has good potential for a mid-drive or rear drive configuration.

There are pluses and minuses with any trike you choose. In my signature lines below you can link to four trikes I have converted.

The Rover is nice because you sit fairly high which helps with seeing and being seen, but it's not a speed demon, particularly on corners. It is also very adjustable for size without having to fool with the boom length and hence the chain length. One of the cons for the Rover is in the steering system. It has what is called direct steering which means there is a tiller directly attached to each front wheel (and connected to each other with a tie rod). Compared to my other TerraTrike ( a Path which has an under seat handlebar which is then connected to the front wheels with tie rods) the Rover takes more effort to steer and also steers quicker which tends to make it harder to get used to and keep in a straight line. The hand grips on the Rover also stick out directly over the front tires and are the widest part of the trike.

I have also been quite pleased with the used Sun EZ3-SX that I added a BBS02 to. It rides more like a bicycle with the over seat steering. It is also extremely easy to adjust for different sized riders. The trike is now called a Sunseeker Eco Delta 3 SX and the frame is a single square tube instead of a ladder frame.

My favorite trike is the Performer Tadpole, but also was more expensive than any of the others. The indirect steering is a pain to set up on this trike.

My first trike was a Sun EZ3-USX which my Daughter-In-Law now has, with a front hub motor. She is under 5' tall and loves the trike. My Son did put shorter crank arms on it. I once suggested that my Son could use that trike for a project and she said "No one touches my trike"!

Whatever you choose, good luck with your project.

EDIT: The TerraTrike Path is no longer made, but the frame and steering is similar to their Tour II.

My Terratrike Cruiser with Bionx is a joy to ride and I now have about 3000 miles on it.

The current equivalent model is the Tour II. The base model of the Tour II would be a fine choice.

All of my e-bikes are Bionx powered so I don't have much basis for comparison, although I did put 600 miles on a Prodeco Phantom several years ago. The torque-based assistance on the Bionx makes the bike feel more "integrated". It just amplifies the rider very smoothly and consistently. I always forget that I even HAVE a throttle, and VERY seldom use it. I just ride and the bike helps, either a little or a lot depending on the selected assistance level.

Thanks all for the input. I've been comparing the Rambler to the Tour II.

http://www.terratrike.com/comparemodels.php

Price is a little higher for the base Rambler x24. My wife and I both have bad knees so the taller seat in the Rambler is a plus. I also like the handlebar configuration on the Rambler better. It's more like a standard bike. Since we are not performance or long distance riders the direct versus linkage steering seems to be a user preference. The turning circle for the linkage steering is 14' 11" Right / 15' 9" Left. For the direct steering on the Rambler it's 9' 11" either way. So pros and cons for both models. I'm going to walk the wife through both models one more time before we make the final decision.

I notice that you haven't specified what kind of performance you're interested in. For speeds under 15mph, there's no reason to categorically rule out delta trikes or upright trikes.

I think you should make a realistic assessment of how fast you want the trike to go. If that's 20 to 30 mph, you should definitely consider a recumbent tadpole. Over 30mph, you should definitely reconsider whether a trike is appropriate.

Chalo said:
I notice that you haven't specified what kind of performance you're interested in. For speeds under 15mph, there's no reason to categorically rule out delta trikes or upright trikes.

I think you should make a realistic assessment of how fast you want the trike to go. If that's 20 to 30 mph, you should definitely consider a recumbent tadpole. Over 30mph, you should definitely reconsider whether a trike is appropriate.
did you even read his post?????

gwrace1 said:
My wife has balance and knee problems so I have been looking at keeping her riding with a trike.
David

Yes, I read it. That's why I questioned the recommendation of a tadpole trike.

I guess I should go further and mention that a tadpole is typically a lot harder to get on and off of, for someone who's mobility impaired.

etrike, Im currently extending a Rover, with custom welded parts. I'll do a build thread soon. Is there a potential welded brace I could do to the crucifix since Im adulterating the frame anyway? Is it the smaller(rear) tube everytime or does the larger tube separate as well...Any ideas?
I wonder how all the Rovers with tandem kits are doing out there, I'm sure they stay on the smoothest roads.

OP, Im thrilled with my Rover, I'm a big guy too(6'1",280lbs). I thought BBSHD too at first and I may still try it but in the meantime I laced a BMC Torque geared hub(like a MAC 10T) in a stock terratrike rim. I love it! I'm heavy and like cargo so the torque is a must for me as well as climbing hills without heat issues.
Observations;
- 500-1000watt geared hub in a 20" wheel at 25amps is almost as torquey as a Clyte HT (heavy as hell) on a 26" wheel at 35amps
- Long chain runs with a mid drives scare me.
- The two front wheels never get removed for tire changing, so a complicated rear wheel to disconnect and muscle the weight seems worth the rare hassle, plus you always have a center stand deployed in essence. i.e.. the tire changing ease that a BBSHD provides for a two wheel bike doesn't really apply to a trike.
- Regen from a DD hub makes most sense for a trike unless you need to lift it above you head very often.
- Reverse from a DD hub makes most sense for a trike unless you need to lift it above you head very often.
- On the flats with a light rider a lightweight geared hub works great, you just need a faster winding to achieve adequate speeds or enjoy amazing torque at a 15mph top speed.(I get 20mph in the 20" wheel, I got 26-27mph with the exact same kit on a 26")

So for me personally, Im going to try all my fav rear hubs on my trike before even considering a mid drive...the 20" wheel thing is no joke! It nullifies most of my common complaints about hub motors. That and the lack of a kickstand, no brainer...

I'd suggest finding a local shop that sells them and go test some out. I have a KMX trike with a leaf hub motor, and works very well and is quite comfortable once adjusted. I'm ~6' and 170lb with no mobility issues. I will say that getting on and off is a bit awkward, although not bad. My technique is to stand in front of the cross bar, hold the handlebars with the brakes locked, and kind of plop down onto the seat.

5 feet may limit some trikes. I believe the Rover will fit her.

The Rover will accommodate the BBS02. That's probably the lowest cost combo and if she really enjoys it she may want to upgrade a year or two down the road. That's a good thing.

I would recommend the Sun Eco Tadpole over the Rover. The Sun is very similar but it uses bearings instead of bushings for the kingpins. It has a smoother and easier feel when turning. The Sun also has a more comfortable seat than the rover as it has a pad built into the mesh for the seat bottom. The Sun is also a little cheaper and can be bought at more places.

I have a Catrike Expedition which I love that I will soon do a BBSO2 conversion,I have done an extensive research on hub motors and mid drives and feel the Bafang is the best way for me to go, but I'm still looking. Nick R.

Back