You meet the nicest people on a Honda

Lebowski

10 MW
first there was this:
hondaad2.jpg
I rode around late 80-ies on this:
honda-super-cub-1-1.jpg
Now for my midlife crisis :mrgreen: I have this (and made 1000 mile multi-day trips on it):

next iteration ?
[youtube]o14vkz9IN3M[/youtube]

"The more things change, the more they stay the same".

A little Cub/Passport trivia;

There have been more of those engines produced Worldwide than any other. And that's not even counting the clones!

The early models didn't have valve seals.

New owners invariably remove the cam chain tensioner bolt to drain the oil :roll:

I had a Honda 250 "Rebel" motorcycle. 80-MPG.

I liked it a lot, and I learned a few things. It was so light-weight that it was dangerous to ride on the open highway at 70-MPH. When an 18-wheeler passed me, it would suck me over behind it...against my will. I felt safe on city streets under 50-MPH, though...

Tubes suck, and spokes loosen. Always get the cast wheels and tubeless tires.

Get disc-brakes on all wheels. Pads are easy to change, drum brake shoes suck...and...when the drum itself wears out, its a bitch to replace, a new brake disc is easy, cheap, and fast.

My 110 only goes 55 mph, 70 is way up there in the 'only when you throw it off a cliff' area :D Can be a bit dicey in Germany where the speed limit out of town is 65 mph, but never had any problems...

To my shame I have to admit that I also unscrewed the cam chain tensioner to try to do an oil change :? but this was back in '88.
The 110 is a bit different from the older motors, it has 2 clutches (one centrifugal, one with plates) instead of 1.

What I find really dumb is that the little 110 will be forbidden in europe with the new emission laws coming into effect in 2017. This month is the last
opportunity to register one, after that it is over. I mean, how much CO2 can 60 km/l really be ? (37 g/km according to google) . Has fuel injection, catalytic
converter, the works. Its a sad development... :cry:

Lebowski said:
What I find really dumb is that the little 110 will be forbidden in europe with the new emission laws coming into effect in 2017. This month is the last opportunity to register one, after that it is over. I mean, how much CO2 can 60 km/l really be ? (37 g/km according to google) . Has fuel injection, catalytic converter, the works. Its a sad development... :cry:

Where did you read that it will be impossible to register a Honda Wave 110i (or other 4 stroke, fuel injected and catalysed scooters) in 2017? :shock:

It's to do with euro4 emission laws comming into effect next year. Also, motorbikes must have either a combine brake system (for <= 125 cc) or ABS (> 125cc) as standard...

A honda SH125i for instance will be fine as they come with ABS and are emission law compliant with the new standard (probably because the market for those is much bigger
so it was worthwhile for honda to go through the tests... plus they are watercooled making it easier)

That's the EU for you :?

So the 'Postile' bike you mention is the CT110, indeed a variant on the Supercub. Powerful enough to not be a moped but sneered at by so many Americans.

The Supercub itself is going away the most successful motor vehicle ever, over 60 million. Then there's the variants from Honda, THEN the knockoffs such as the Sym Symba.

The best ideas are simple, eh?

Does it count as riding an electric conversion of a Honda if I'm using the lights and wiring harness and grip controls/levers off a Honda Spree on CrazyBike2? :lol:
(I'd also used the headlight and handlebar-fairing on DayGlo Avenger, and am using the taillghts from two Hondas, with new custom-made LED guts, on SB Cruiser).

rode around late 80-ies on this:
How much Horse Power?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Super_Cub
Honda's first four stroke, the 1951 E-type, had just a little more power than the Super Cub, 3.7 kilowatts (5 bhp), with nearly triple the displacement, 146 cc (8.9 cu in)

5HP is ~3,750 watts on a power curve, so my e-bicycle has about the same continuous power 8)

Mine was 50cc and went 70kmh flat out, so according to wikipedia it was 4.5 hp ...

one funny snippet:
Cycle World magazine's Peter Egan and Steve Kimball entered a stock Honda C70 Passport in the 1981 Craig Vetter Fuel Economy Challenge, competing against specially designed high-mileage two wheelers built by teams of engineering students, and an entry from American Honda. The course was a 65-mile (105 km) loop near San Luis Obispo that had to be completed in 1 hour and 40 minutes, give or take 10 minutes, meaning an average speed of 35 mph (56 km/h). Kimball, riding the Passport, won the event through skillful and error-free riding, with 198 miles per US gallon (1.19 L/100 km; 238 mpg-imp)

the e-cub from the first post seems to be 2 wheel drive:
At the 2009 Tokyo Motor Show, Honda presented the EV-Cub concept vehicle, an electric motorcycle patterned after the venerable Super Cub, featuring two-wheel drive by means of electric motors mounted in the hubs of each of the wheels

The Beach Boys song did something for the brand.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=viYfWqSECAk
My girlfriend won one at Disneyland for being the one millioneth person to go on Mr.Toad's Wild Ride at Spring Fling one year. What a gas!

spinningmagnets said:
I had a Honda 250 "Rebel" motorcycle. 80-MPG.

I liked it a lot, and I learned a few things. It was so light-weight that it was dangerous to ride on the open highway at 70-MPH. When an 18-wheeler passed me, it would suck me over behind it...against my will. I felt safe on city streets under 50-MPH, though...

Tubes suck, and spokes loosen. Always get the cast wheels and tubeless tires.

Get disc-brakes on all wheels. Pads are easy to change, drum brake shoes suck...and...when the drum itself wears out, its a bitch to replace, a new brake disc is easy, cheap, and fast.

How bad are we talking getting sucked over because I have been looking into getting a csc rx3 and they are around the same weight. both are 250 cc bikes. I have read the rx3 can handle high way use but never heard of this getting sucked into 16 wheelers issue. The rx3 is 56 pounds heavier when dry but I doubt that makes a difference plus I only weigh 190 fully clothed. Also did you try to avoid being in the same lane ?

It's really more of a problem if you have a strong cross wind. I noticed this when riding a significantly heavier 500cc bike on two lane highways. I'd be leaning into the cross wind to keep straight and if the truck was on the upwind side, you'd get this sudden wind shadow and go veering right toward the truck. After a few times, you figure it out and stay as far away as you can get when you see a truck coming.

I used to a have a first gen Honda Insight (60mpg highway) and now I have two honda generators. I'm definitely an avid believer in their engines and fuel efficiency seems to be a perennial focus of theres. A honda cub would be nice to get, but I don't know if I trust other drivers on the 70 mph roads around me enough. Seen quite a few drunks around these parts. I would definitely feel more comfortable riding it on 50mph roads.

boytitan said:
How bad are we talking getting sucked over because I have been looking into getting a csc rx3 and they are around the same weight. both are 250 cc bikes. I have read the rx3 can handle high way use but never heard of this getting sucked into 16 wheelers issue.
I ride just on regular roads, and am riding an electric bike (or the trike) that weighs as much as a small motorcycle, especially when loaded with cargo, even without me on it.

I get passed closely by city buses fairly often, and large delivery trucks or big rigs occasionally and I have learned that if I see one coming up behind me, I have to move at least to center of lane, and sometimes further left in the lane to force them to go around me in the other lane, because if I don't then as they pass me I'll get sucked towards them, and to avoid that I have to pull to the right. If I am already at the right edge of the road, I have nowhere to go, and cant' get far enough away to not be sucked towards them as they pass me.

Since I am typically going about half their speed, or a bit more, depending on their speed (mine is usually just under 20MPH when on roads they'd be on), it takes them a moment to pass me, so the problem exists long enough to worry about. Worse, they are only going around me just enough to clear me and often start moving back into my lane before they have finished passing me, which makes the problem worse. Since there is other traffic behind me in many cases, stopping or slowing severely to let them get around me is not an option without high risk of being hit from behind by people already impatient with the bus itself.

Once the bus passes I can move to the righthand part of the lane again.

I imagine the problem at higher speeds is even worse, like on the highway. (and you have less options as to what to do about it)

swbluto said:
but I don't know if I trust other drivers on the 70 mph roads around me enough. Seen quite a few drunks around these parts. I would definitely feel more comfortable riding it on 50mph roads.

Drunks, distracted drivers, texting drivers and just plain ole stupid drivers whether it be old, young, women or immigrant drivers.

Here is my CBR250R with a truncated tail. I was at 115 mpgUS ALL summer.
http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/cbr250r/2011/sendler/78563
1601184_835981233147657_1123048850629157138_n.jpg

11407133_835981236480990_8759534508764712854_n.jpg

Everone gets 100 mpgUS on a PCX150
292906_349027221843063_209987126_n.jpg

sendler2112 said:
Here is my CBR250R with a truncated tail. I was at 115 mpgUS ALL summer.
http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/cbr250r/2011/sendler/78563
1601184_835981233147657_1123048850629157138_n.jpg

11407133_835981236480990_8759534508764712854_n.jpg

Everone gets 100 mpgUS on a PCX150
292906_349027221843063_209987126_n.jpg

Nice, looks like you were getting pretty high MPGs when the air was thinner/hotter. Seems like this portends well for areas like Houston, TX, lol.

Short wheelbase, lightweight, high COG motos can and will be very susceptible to crosswinds and particularly strong gusts from tractor trailer trucks on the interstate.

Although a great engine/driveline, my old BMW R75/5 tipping the scales around 425lbs dry wasn’t much fun to ride on interstate highways. Early ’72 model had the shorter swingarm which made matters worse.

btw, BMW used very effective drum brakes front-rear and nearly 75k miles they never needed replacement. In fact, I rode with guys who put over 150k miles on /5’s and never replaced any brake shoes. Engineered as BMW did, drum brakes were at the top of their game and really quite good. I do prefer discs but some drum brakes "can be" excellent performers.

Anyway, enter Harley Davidson FL’s. (Eltraglide, real HD not dirt bike "Elvis" Sportster) Long wheelbase, relatively low COG and very well balanced front-rear weight distribution could always handle the worst crosswinds and truck wash.

By comparison a little Honda Rebel like SM (Ron) mentions is fairly high COG and the front-rear weight distribution is almost as bad as it gets. Rear brakes lock and can barely stop a little Honda or most front heavy Japanese bikes from that era. Yet many a Harley chopper could stop very well with only a rear brake. Not recommended but that’s how we sometimes used to roll on choppers/diggers…

As I got older riding more interstate, ‘tired of chains and parts vibrating loose along with the constant worry of HD theft, I discovered Honda GL (Goldwing). All the ride geometry attribute of a big HD yet the smoothness and appliance-like operation of the beloved BMW. Best of both worlds….

One more tale to tell from a 300k mile 40+ year biker - Some years ago I headed out to ride I-8 between San Diego - Tuscon about this time of year, mid January. It was quite windy and gusty, a notorious stretch known for strong crosswinds.

Somewhere past Alpine, CHP was directing all traffic to exit. I was loaded with lotsa gear and the officer said they can’t let me (high profile vehicle) proceed. I kinda grumbled and turned broadside to cross the overpass and head home West on the 8.

I probably wasn’t going 20MPH when a gust hit me that was unlike any gust of wind I’ve ever experienced in my life. Pushed me across 2 lanes before I could stop and even then it was difficult to keep the bike upright broadside into that wind.

I remember thinking at the time, “Ok, lesson learned…” Now whenever I make that run, always check for any wind advisories.

The larger windscreen made a bigger difference in sidewinds than the tail. It is still very good in side wind behavior and maintains the ability to lean into sidewinds automatically. There are a few basic riding tricks that help.
http://www.cbr250.net/forum/30418-post23.html

Ykick said:
Short wheelbase, lightweight, high COG motos can and will be very susceptible to crosswinds and particularly strong gusts from tractor trailer trucks on the interstate.
FWIW, both of mine I posted about above are LWB, and low COG, but have large surface areas, and relatively small contact patches.

amberwolf said:
Ykick said:
FWIW, both of mine I posted about above are LWB, and low COG, but have large surface areas, and relatively small contact patches.

Imagine how bad it would be if you weren't LWB and low COG?

Surface area's a nice sail and thin tires not much help either.

Back